Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious. When you look at a silver puppy, is there any way to tell if the pup will be super light in color when it clears or retain darker points or be a darker silver? I've always wondered this, then someone asked me because they knew I had a Poodle & I didn't know how to answer. So here I am. Seeking knowledge. Silver is my favorite solid color so I thought I'd ask. I did caution the person that if a breeder is promising a very specific outcome, to make certain this is based on fact, not a sales gimmick.

FYI: just know if you post pictures of your silvers, I'm most likely drooling over them. It is such a beautiful color.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Just based on my limited experience in seeing other silvers at shows, it seems like toys and minis clear a lot lighter than spoos. Very few spoos get to be that platinum color. I believe that most "silver" spoos are actually gray--a color in between blue and silver. Maizie is one of those. But breeders call them silver. But regardless, I agree that they are the most beautiful color :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
My Babykins is similar in color to Maizie. I would say a middle grey, clearly not as dark as a blue and not a pale silver color except near her paws.

I adore silver too. Unlike solids, they have an ombré effect where the bottom of their legs are significantly lighter than the top of their body. I’ve had people ask me if I dyed my dog to get that effect. It’s really beautiful.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Fannie.jpg
My Mini Fannie Platinum Silver
Pia and Len.jpg
My Toy Pia a darker silver.

I Honestly thought that Pia would end up lighter

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I don't know how or if you can tell how light a silver will be when the dog is a puppy. But I thought that I would post a few pictures of Sam's sire, Sting. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, what beautiful silvers. Thank you all for sharing pictures. That color is just drool worthy. Pierre was the name of the Silver I assisted in training who was a nanny guardian. He was a steely blue-gray/silver. I mean his coat was solid in color from one end to the other & he was gorgeous.

I also want to thank you for sharing information as I think it may have saved my friend from some heartache. She's going with the other breeder she had on the list & I think she's getting a puppy with realistic expectations & a breeder who is honest & upfront about the reality of color. So hats off to the forum for helping someone!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Here is my boy. The single stacked show pic is cyphers dad, the double show pic is his mom on the right. So he's 6 months in the pic with my white girl. One year old in the shaved bikini pic. Two years old in the fluffy legs pic. Three years old in the Scandinavian pic, also in the hcc.
The last pic in the German is Sept this year at 4.5 years old. The fluffy ones are only a week before the shorter one where he standing outside. He gets darker the longer he is

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here's Cleo at around 7 weeks, almost all black, then a few weeks ago with long hair, and then just today, sleeping, with a new short haircut. She's 7 1/2 months and still in the process of fading. She was born black, but her muzzle started to look lighter than the other pups in the litter pretty early.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
So precious, Robin :) I am the same, dapple greys were always my dream horse color, and that's what attracted me to silver poodles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts