Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To some people, I am not going to name names here, Rally signs look about as comprehensible as Egyptian Hieroglyphics. Let's face it, The Book of the Dead looks like bird arm foot falcon. Offset Serpentine Weave Left looks like hieroglyphics, too. The pictures on the Rally signs cause my, I mean, some people instant brain freeze.

I was studying the Rally pictures and no matter how hard I tried, they still looked like bird arm foot falcon. There has to be a better way to remember what to do at each sign. Then I remembered how I learned the entire Preamble to the Constitution of the United States. I learned to sing it with Schoolhouse Rock. Nostalgia time!

When my brother was in junior high, and supposedly learning about the Constitution, he was busy screwing around with his friends. The teacher told my older brother if he was so smart, he should come up and recite the Preamble from memory. My older brother walked to the front of the class and started singing. All 24 of his bored classmates joined in. "Weeee the people, in order to form a more perfect union..." I'm sure the teacher wanted to strangle him, but, it proves a point. Sometimes, it's just plain easier to remember stuff with a song. So, I created a few songs to help me, I mean, some people, learn AKC Rally signs so they no longer look like bird arm foot falcon. I hope this helps someone.

Silly Songs for AKC Rally Novice Signs with Cones

Spiral Left Dog Inside
(Here We Go Looby Loo)

Here we go looby left
Here we go looby left
Here we go looby left
As we spiral left

We spiral around just two
We spiral around just one
We spiraled around the cones
And we did that on the left

Spiral Right Dog Outside
(The Wheels On The Bus)

The spiral on the right
goes round and round
Around just two
Around just two
the spiral on the right goes
around one cone
All around the cones

Serpentine Weave Once
(In And Out The Window)

Go in and out the window
as we have done before

Straight Figure Eight Weave Twice
(A Hunting We Will Go)

A weaving we will go
A weaving we will go
Heigh-ho, the derry-o
A weaving we will go

Offset Serpentine Left
(A-Tisket A-Tasket)

A-tisket a-tasket
Left is how we task it

Offset Serpentine Right
(Did You Ever See A Lassie)

Did you ever see a puppy
Go this way and that?

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Those are very clever memory devices Click! I am sure judges will start hearing lots of singing on rally courses very soon, and the best thing is you can sing doing a rally course. I know someone who is a rally judge who cues her back up three steps with the "beep beep beep" that trucks have as alerts for then they will be backing up. Rally is just wonderful for allowing a good sense of fun into the ring at all levels.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sing to Noelle all the time! I have a bath song, a grooming song, a heeling song, and now rally songs. We're going to have so much fun learning rally. I'm glad you're allowed to sing during the course because those signs are confusing to look at.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Haha, I love that you sing to Noelle.

I also love the songs........but in WCRL rally you can only give a command once, and if it's something like beep beep beep - it has to be beepbeepbeep said quickly to be clearly one command. Repeat commands lose points. You are allowed to encourage your dog - singing - without command words would work.

I'm getting dizzy reading the songs - haha.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Registered
921 Posts
So funny! This reminds me of a college roomate (former cheerleader, assigned randomly) who created cheers as study aids. Do what works!

Yeah, the new signs are a wonder. We have the second level titles (AKC Advanced, UKC UR02,WCR Level 2) with no plans to forge ahead until one of us has a better handle on the rule changes and new signs. We’ve practiced a bit and invariably have to research a few signs before running even a practice course.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone learns in different ways, that's for sure. For me, music is how I remember everything, even stupid stuff. In 7th grade, my teacher taught us all the prepositions in the English language using a song. The only other thing I learned in 7th grade was how to shoot rubber bands off my braces using my tongue. I learned the Quadratic Equation song, too. It's come in handy exactly never. Anyone else learn the US Presidents song? Yankee Doodle tune, everybody sing... Washington Adams Jefferson...

Someone please make this stop.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
I am going to get an ear bug from all of this for sure!

Reactions: Click-N-Treat
1 - 7 of 7 Posts