Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how warm does this fluffy scrumptious puppy (she's 8 months now!) poodle hair keep them in the winter? I'm used to double-coated retriever breeds so I never worried about winter warmth (And to top that mine was too high-strung to ever be-gasp- left outside alone so she didn't "brave" our SoCal Winters). We keep Bella in a puppy or lamb (uh...difference is subtle, right? I'm not sure which it is) cut. It's been getting into the 50s here on a good day. She does have a big patio with complete rain/sun (not wind) shelter and now a dogloo (for the wind) that she is slowly warming up to. I would like to think if we got a chilly wind through here all of a sudden she'd be smart enough to cozy into it. Due to recent tummy troubles, when I go out she must go outside now, sometimes at night (not OVERnight). I put a crate pad into her dogloo just for some softness warmth. Any suggestions? Do you think she's okay out there?

And, um, I wouldn't leave her in it, but I did buy her a coat for Christmas :embarrassed:. I couldn't resist. Then I it occured to me - could I OVERheat her by walking her in it? We're talking temperatures in the 50s, generally, at the coldest. MAYBE 40s but really I doubt I'll be going in any walks in that weather. I'd rather throw a ball around the yard. LOL.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
50 degrees? It was 18 degrees and snowing here in Colorado this morning. The girls thought the weather was just fine. Poodle coat is very dense and insulating. Bella is going to overheat if you put her in a coat.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
We're talking temperatures in the 50s, generally, at the coldest. MAYBE 40s but really I doubt I'll be going in any walks in that weather. I'd rather throw a ball around the yard. LOL.
this just made me giggle a little... up here in Canada, we still walk our dogs, even in the freezing temps... :) 40's? is that even cold? lol :smow: hehe, sorry, couldn't resist!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Ditch the sweater - your wether is fine:) I am not a fan of leaving pets outside. Not that you don't have her secure it sounds ok JMO:)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
50 degrees? It was 23 her this am and the poos were fine we keep ours normally about an inch long They are very warm and nver seem cold. Dont forget that this is a hunting dog :) But then mine do sleep inside at night I think they would bark all night if I left them out there anyway .....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Poodles did what?

You might finding this entertaining . . . Nah . . . foo foo can't get their tootsies cold! NOT!!! Here's another link . . . and more naughty poodle things! Oh, and lets not forget they made the next to last cut for official army dog . ..

Regards,
Mark, Jamie and The Poodle Gangsters!

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Here in North Dakota, the weather gets very, very cold in the winter; and because our state is mostly FLAT, the wind gusts through like a freight train! (we had gusts to 52 MPH yesterday)

My short coated dogs (Hannah and Juliet) go outside, do what they have to do and get their frozen little butts back into the house. Meau and Lucy??? We have to BRIBE them to come in out of the wind and cold and snow!! They both like to sit on our little hill in the backyard and let the breeze (WIND) blow their ears back!!!

It's almost as if the cold does not remotely affect them! Sometimes, if the temperature dips to 10 - 20 below zero, their feet may get a little cold, especially if there's snow, too... but as far as their bodies/fur/coats etc., go, our spoos seem impervious to the winter!! :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
this just made me giggle a little... up here in Canada, we still walk our dogs, even in the freezing temps... :) 40's? is that even cold? lol :smow: hehe, sorry, couldn't resist!
It's cold to people that live in warm climates and are acclimated to warmer weather. I hate what I consider cold weather and that's usually in the 50s and below. What's worse is that I come from a climate that snowed and sleeted every winter so I know what cold really is and it took me years of living down here before I stopped laughing at their winters. Now I'm bundling up in 50 degree weather.:wacko:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My dogs coat (who's a boxer mix) is so thin you can see the black spots on her pink skin, but in the cold she'd JUST fine! I live in the mountains in northern utah, and during the winter we'd be lucky to get above freezing for our highs in the day time. My dogs an inside dog, but loves the snow and does zoomies all over when we go out and play in it. I think Bella will be just fine in any clip you give her!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts