Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my family is researching a few different breeds of dogs and after pulling a few teeth, my husband MIGHT consider a poodle!! Now we have all seen poodles...and I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I find some "cuter" than others! My question: Do ALL poodles have a long, "sharp" (for lack of a better term) snout? I have seen mini poodles (or were told they were poodles) with a blunter snout that I like much better. I'm gonna try to link a pic here...I think this one might be when it was a pup, but I did see the same dog as an adult and it had the same blunt nose. (she's an author, and used her dog as models for her book--about purebred dogs!). So I assume this is a purebred poodle & if so, how do I go about finding one? Explain to the breeder? I'm sorry, I know in the grand scheme of things, it's not important but when you're trying to narrow down a breed, every detail counts! Thanks!!

Miniature Poodles: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em?

·
Registered
8,040 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hi, my family is researching a few different breeds of dogs and after pulling a few teeth, my husband MIGHT consider a poodle!! Now we have all seen poodles...and I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I find some "cuter" than others! My question: Do ALL poodles have a long, "sharp" (for lack of a better term) snout? I have seen mini poodles (or were told they were poodles) with a blunter snout that I like much better. I'm gonna try to link a pic here...I think this one might be when it was a pup, but I did see the same dog as an adult and it had the same blunt nose. (she's an author, and used her dog as models for her book--about purebred dogs!). So I assume this is a purebred poodle & if so, how do I go about finding one? Explain to the breeder? I'm sorry, I know in the grand scheme of things, it's not important but when you're trying to narrow down a breed, every detail counts! Thanks!!

I think what you are seeing is the difference between a teddy bear style head and a clean face with a topknot. A clean face creates the "pointy", sharper look you were referring to while a teddy head makes a softer, rounder appearance. That mini in the picture appears to have a normal long poodle face.

You really don't want to go with a breeder who breeds for a broader, coarser, shorter face. It's not correct for a poodle, and a good, responsible breeder won't breed for something that's incorrect. Not to mention the fact that the shorter a dogs face becomes, the more breathing issues they have. Another thing I've noticed, Of all my dogs, the poodles take the longest to get really hot and cool down the fastest, despite their long coats. I'm almost positive it's their long faces.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
The "pointy" snout you see on most poodles only shows up if you shave the dog's face, which needs to be done every month or so. (Our mini, Beau, gets his face shaved every three weeks.) If you don't shave your poodle's face, you end up with the fuzzy "Teddy Bear" look, like the mini in the photo you posted. It's the same dog either way, just a different haircut.

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
Absolutely agree - there are some people who claim to be breeding for a shorter muzzle (ie making a virtue of a non-poodle trait!), but simply trimming the coat differently will give you the look you like on a well bred poodle. You might like to look at poodles in a retriever clip - they then look very similar to a curly coated retriever, which might appeal to your husband! I think the show clips have given the poodle a very inaccurate reputation as a frou frou dog, when they are highly intelligent, athletic, versatile creatures.

Do be aware that if you choose to keep a poodle's face hair long, it will tend to get mucky with food etc though - and the coat keeps growing, so the fuzzy look can get very overgrown by the next clip.

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
One of the great things about poodles is that there are so many different clips that are acceptable. You can emphasize features you like and reduce things you might not like so much by how you groom. I happen to love the line of a nice freshly shaved face, but we can all do whatever we want. The most important thing is to find a poodle from a breeder who knows the breed standard and works hard to maintain and improve it in their dogs. They should do health screening and provide results for their breeding dogs. They should also provide evidence of doing so by being an active part of the conformation (and performance sports) world and earning titles.

mom24doggies I think you are on target about heating and cooling, that long snout gives a big surface area for heat exchange that would be very useful as a cooling surface in hot weather especially.

When I insisted that we get Lily my better half was not quite convinced that he would not just find her to be too much of a frou frou dog. He has always had German shepherd dogs. He loves her and she adores him. Real men aren't afraid to own poodles. Of course I am happy to have the GSD too. To the OP good luck finding a puppy that will suit your family's needs and be a happy healthy companion for many years.

Reactions: mom24doggies

·
Registered
520 Posts
I like the more teddy bear face, too. I was letting my Max's facial hair grow out (it grows at an alarming rate lol). I got my feelings hurt last week when a vet tech called him a doodle. My husband said if you don't want him mistaken for a doodle, then give him the traditional poodle face hair. So I did. I trimmed it back this weekend.

And as fjm said, the food does get stuck in there. :)

poodles are neat like that, you can change their look up every couple months.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes, the difference you are seeing is simply a haircut. Please don't go buy a puppy from a breeder advertising broader muzzles and shorter snouts. This is absolutely incorrect for a poodle and is probably not a purebred. Do your research carefully on breeders if you go that route.

This may help you. This is a 10 week old standard pup. Before photo, before his face was shaved, and after photo after it was shaved.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
22,869 Posts
Sookster, A picture really is worth a thousand words, so you just said 2000+. Those pictures show exactly what the OP needed to see. That is a beautiful pup with wonderful poodley feet too in the second pic.

Reactions: Sookster

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Sookster,
Thats one gorgeous pup. Is that yours? You're so lucky!
Thank you :) This is a pup I'm helping train to be a service dog. He's only with me a couple days out of the week. The rest of the week he stays with a friend who is "co-raising" him with me. He was 10 weeks old in these photos, but is about 4 months now and has gotten HUGE.

Sookster, A picture really is worth a thousand words, so you just said 2000+. Those pictures show exactly what the OP needed to see. That is a beautiful pup with wonderful poodley feet too in the second pic.
Pictures always help me put things in persepective, so I thought they may help here as well. Just wish I had a clearer face shot of the "after" than him lying on the floor but this was the only one I could find. I'm extremely partial to shaved feet and face. Can't handle that scruffy scraggly mess that comes with not doing it. It's cute, but not for me.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My husband didn't want a poodle at first. I showed him pictures, but they were the typical poodle trim, with shaved face and topknot, full ears. He said he didn't like the nose. Now he's all about poodles and says we'll always have to have one. He begs to take our standard out with him because he gets so much attention!

The correct poodle face should not be short or broad. It should not be snipey or cheeky. I believe the more you look at poodles with a nice long face like they should have, you will grow to appreciate it. There are many poodles on this forum where I have to do a double take on the face because it's so gorgeous! The beauty of poodles is that you can change up the hairstyle to your liking.

Here's a picture of my standard poodle with a face shave and without. I was grooming him in my salon (he has a teddy face) and two people stepped in, they asked what kind of dog was on the table. I told them he was a poodle. They said "I thought poodle's had longer faces? his doesn't look too long." I smashed the hair on his muzzle, turned his head to the side to show his true shape, and I said "He does have a long nose but you cannot tell due to the way he is groomed."

Also, the shape of the topknot really helps to either accentuate or camouflage a long nose. A fuller topknot will help balance a sharp face, whereas a topknot with the sides taken tighter will elongate the face. The length of the ears also balances the face too. You can go in between a shaved face and teddy face by experimenting with various mustache styles. Poodles are so versatile!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts