Poodle Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
Possibly Peggy. Shes treated like a delicate darling - gently lifted- mostly resting in nice places. Even if she is scared that shouldn't last this long- its been 7 days. She stays burrowed in for a long time. Its a bit disheartening.
If you found yourself alone, on an alien planet, with no one speaking your language, and nothing familiar at all, I suspect you’d still be quite frightened 7 days later. :)

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
412 Posts
Normally I wouldn't suggest it because of the risk of picking up an illness, but if possible I would take her back to the pet store or somewhere with a lot of dogs around her size and see if she perks up. I would not put her down or allow her to interact with strange dogs, but I would allow her to see them and perhaps smell them from a distance to see if she reacts more normally. That should give an indication if it is simply fear.

Others may advise strongly against this, in which case I would take their advice instead.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
Normally I wouldn't suggest it because of the risk of picking up an illness, but if possible I would take her back to the pet store or somewhere with a lot of dogs around her size and see if she perks up. I would not put her down or allow her to interact with strange dogs, but I would allow her to see them and perhaps smell them from a distance to see if she reacts more normally. That should give an indication if it is simply fear.

Others may advise strongly against this, in which case I would take their advice instead.
I almost typed the same thing, but I don’t love that it’s a pet store. If it was a good breeder, a return visit to their happy bustling home might be very therapeutic.

@fahed, do you know anyone with a calm, well-socialized (and vaccinated) toy breed who could act as a mentor for your pup?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I almost typed the same thing, but I don’t love that it’s a pet store. If it was a good breeder, a return visit to their happy bustling home might be very therapeutic.

@fahed, do you know anyone with a calm, well-socialized (and vaccinated) toy breed who could act as a mentor for your pup?
Peggy, I notice that fahed is not in the US, UK, Canada, or Australia, so a pet shop may be the only source of puppies where s/he lives.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Your little girl is very cute. Has she a name yet?

I'm stopping in mostly to agree with several points already raised and to ask some questions.

Puppies do normally sleep up to 20 hours a day but with active periods in between sleeping. If she is inactive during her waking times, are you playing with her, rolling a ball, giving her chew toys, maybe a puzzle toy to try to figure out how to get a treat from? Training, which is just play to a puppy, is a good way to get her engaged with you. Have you tried to teach her Sit or Come To Me? This is done several times a day in short periods, only a few minutes at a time. If she is fully immunized, is there a secure outdoor area she can be taken to for some outside activity?

Does she have a quiet, out of the way place to retreat to?

If she hasn't been examined in person by a vet, please do so. They will help determine if there's a physical reason for her lack of activity. For example, she may be teething. This is important. How much does she weigh?

Toy poodles do need 3 meals a day, beyond adding treats for calories. The reason is partly the hypoglycemia already mentioned. Having her calorie intake spread more evenly over her day will help her metabolism stay more steady.

Many puppies newly placed in a new home don't bark a lot, partly because they are in an unfamiliar place, regardless of how loving and comfortable. They don't know that they're Home just yet. When I brought two miniature poodle girls home as young adults, they hardly made any sound for at least a week. We thought we had two little Princess poodles who would simply be decorative, seen but not heard. And then they started settling in. They barked! I don't remember at what, but once they found their voices, we knew that they had just felt sort of lost for a while but now they knew they were home.

Dogs in general and puppies in particular do better when there is a routine or schedule being followed.

Would you mind describing what that is like in your home now that she's joined you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi and Welcome!

Your little girl is very cute. Has she a name yet?

I'm stopping in mostly to agree with several points already raised and to ask some questions.

Puppies do normally sleep up to 20 hours a day but with active periods in between sleeping. If she is inactive during her waking times, are you playing with her, rolling a ball, giving her chew toys, maybe a puzzle toy to try to figure out how to get a treat from? Training, which is just play to a puppy, is a good way to get her engaged with you. Have you tried to teach her Sit or Come To Me? This is done several times a day in short periods, only a few minutes at a time. If she is fully immunized, is there a secure outdoor area she can be taken to for some outside activity?

Does she have a quiet, out of the way place to retreat to?

If she hasn't been examined in person by a vet, please do so. They will help determine if there's a physical reason for her lack of activity. For example, she may be teething. This is important. How much does she weigh?

Toy poodles do need 3 meals a day, beyond adding treats for calories. The reason is partly the hypoglycemia already mentioned. Having her calorie intake spread more evenly over her day will help her metabolism stay more steady.

Many puppies newly placed in a new home don't bark a lot, partly because they are in an unfamiliar place, regardless of how loving and comfortable. They don't know that they're Home just yet. When I brought two miniature poodle girls home as young adults, they hardly made any sound for at least a week. We thought we had two little Princess poodles who would simply be decorative, seen but not heard. And then they started settling in. They barked! I don't remember at what, but once they found their voices, we knew that they had just felt sort of lost for a while but now they knew they were home.

Dogs in general and puppies in particular do better when there is a routine or schedule being followed.

Would you mind describing what that is like in your home now that she's joined you?
Dear Rose,
Thank you for the detailed reply. This is indeed useful. Her name is Lola. She just needs time and I need to put in a lot more time engaging with her. She is taking time. She has her own nooks at the apartment where she goes and rests. I dont take her out doors as she is not used to a harness. At this point her movements are extremely limited- her dining area to sleeping zone or yet another zone where she pee's. Once she reaches a zone she spends a lot of time over there. She does not bark - now its been 7 days since we got her and she might have barked 5-6 times at best. I dont know her weight- but she seems healthy. I will wait for another week and if things are still the same I will take her to a vet. Hope she settles in soon.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
412 Posts
Dear Rose,
Thank you for the detailed reply. This is indeed useful. Her name is Lola. She just needs time and I need to put in a lot more time engaging with her. She is taking time. She has her own nooks at the apartment where she goes and rests. I dont take her out doors as she is not used to a harness. At this point her movements are extremely limited- her dining area to sleeping zone or yet another zone where she pee's. Once she reaches a zone she spends a lot of time over there. She does not bark - now its been 7 days since we got her and she might have barked 5-6 times at best. I dont know her weight- but she seems healthy. I will wait for another week and if things are still the same I will take her to a vet. Hope she settles in soon.
Plenty of poodles aren't barkers thankfully, so while she may become more vocal once she settles in, she may not. It's good to hear that she is moving around and not just freezing. She probably isn't used to having options of where to go as a pet store puppy. Having space is probably the equivalent of living in an apartment in a busy city your whole life with a large family and then suddenly being dropped in the middle of the countryside by yourself when you didn't even know the countryside existed.

We're rooting for you and little Lola!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Many dogs do not bark as puppies. I think that sometimes they try it and it scares them! I can remember one puppy who barked and then looked all around as if to say "who made that noise?".
Hi Johanna, Lola has been with us for the past 2 weeks and i don't see she getting any better. Extremely scared, not friendly, confines her to 2 spots and has barked only twice in 2 weeks. I am not sure how to get her comfortable. It seems more and more difficult. Is there any guidelines on what i can do?

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Hi Johanna, Lola has been with us for the past 2 weeks and i don't see she getting any better. Extremely scared, not friendly, confines her to 2 spots and has barked only twice in 2 weeks. I am not sure how to get her comfortable. It seems more and more difficult. Is there any guidelines on what i can do?
Usually with anxious/fearful dogs the best thing to do is to let them come to you on their own terms. Don’t bend down to pet her, don’t pick her up. Just do your thing without minding her, except for necessary care like feeding, going outside, etc. Give her a place to feel comfortable, near the family but not too close so she feels threatened by your every move. Talk to her gently but respect her bubble. The goal is to let her know that nobody is going to force themselves on her. It seems counter intuitive but ignoring her will make her feel secure and want to come closer to you. When she comes to you, never ever restrain her. Do not hug her. The relationship needs time build and you will eventually get there.

These dogs need time.

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
It sounds to me like this puppy is mentally much the same mental state as a feral puppy would be. If you were in the US or the UK I would have suggested reaching out to a local animal rescue organization to see if they could recommend a behaviorist or trainer to help you work through the socialization issues. I don't know if your area has anything similar.

This article has some useful tips on dealing with under socialized dogs. How to Get a Scared Dog to Trust You: 9 Tips & Strategies

21 - 36 of 36 Posts