Poodle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
She does sound very frightened and shut down. What sort of environment did she come from? Was she introduced to a variety of sights, sounds, smells, etc.? Even simple things like different floor surfaces are important for a puppy to experience at an early age. Same with exposure to males and females of various shapes and sizes.

Can you contact her breeder for some advice?

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
She may just be very frightened after being separated from so many dogs, especially if she’s not had much one-on-one time with humans

Are you being quiet and gentle with her? Getting down to her level and letting her come to you? Giving her a warm place to burrow into and a safe, cozy place to sleep where she can see you?

You may find this article helpful:

And I would recommend googling “fear periods” and “trigger stacking.”

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Possibly Peggy. Shes treated like a delicate darling - gently lifted- mostly resting in nice places. Even if she is scared that shouldn't last this long- its been 7 days. She stays burrowed in for a long time. Its a bit disheartening.
If you found yourself alone, on an alien planet, with no one speaking your language, and nothing familiar at all, I suspect you’d still be quite frightened 7 days later. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
Normally I wouldn't suggest it because of the risk of picking up an illness, but if possible I would take her back to the pet store or somewhere with a lot of dogs around her size and see if she perks up. I would not put her down or allow her to interact with strange dogs, but I would allow her to see them and perhaps smell them from a distance to see if she reacts more normally. That should give an indication if it is simply fear.

Others may advise strongly against this, in which case I would take their advice instead.
I almost typed the same thing, but I don’t love that it’s a pet store. If it was a good breeder, a return visit to their happy bustling home might be very therapeutic.

@fahed, do you know anyone with a calm, well-socialized (and vaccinated) toy breed who could act as a mentor for your pup?

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
I also was under the impression you were working with a vet. Please keep us posted. This sounds so very hard for her, and so very hard for you, too. Probably not how you were imagining life with your new puppy. :( Hoping for better news soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts