Poodle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
426 Posts
How long have you had the puppy? Most puppies need to sleep most of the day, but during the time they are awake they should be very active. I would be concerned about a puppy who just sits there when left alone. Like Twyla says, you need to feed her more often regardless, but sometimes it can take a while for a puppy to get used to their new environment. If it's been longer than a couple of days on the correct feeding schedule I would be concerned enough to take the puppy to the vet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Normally I wouldn't suggest it because of the risk of picking up an illness, but if possible I would take her back to the pet store or somewhere with a lot of dogs around her size and see if she perks up. I would not put her down or allow her to interact with strange dogs, but I would allow her to see them and perhaps smell them from a distance to see if she reacts more normally. That should give an indication if it is simply fear.

Others may advise strongly against this, in which case I would take their advice instead.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dear Rose,
Thank you for the detailed reply. This is indeed useful. Her name is Lola. She just needs time and I need to put in a lot more time engaging with her. She is taking time. She has her own nooks at the apartment where she goes and rests. I dont take her out doors as she is not used to a harness. At this point her movements are extremely limited- her dining area to sleeping zone or yet another zone where she pee's. Once she reaches a zone she spends a lot of time over there. She does not bark - now its been 7 days since we got her and she might have barked 5-6 times at best. I dont know her weight- but she seems healthy. I will wait for another week and if things are still the same I will take her to a vet. Hope she settles in soon.
Plenty of poodles aren't barkers thankfully, so while she may become more vocal once she settles in, she may not. It's good to hear that she is moving around and not just freezing. She probably isn't used to having options of where to go as a pet store puppy. Having space is probably the equivalent of living in an apartment in a busy city your whole life with a large family and then suddenly being dropped in the middle of the countryside by yourself when you didn't even know the countryside existed.

We're rooting for you and little Lola!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts