Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,008 Posts
Your puppy will sleep a lot, but she should definitely be curious, playful, and active when she is awake. It's not unusual for a puppy to be frightened and quiet the day they come home. However, the puppy should return to being a bouncy playful puppy within a day or so. I would get the puppy checked by a vet if she is still quiet. Last year we had another forum member living in the UAE go through quite an ordeal when her new puppy came down with Parvo.

·
Super Moderator
4,008 Posts
If she came from a pet store, there is a good chance she came from a high volume breeder. Big commercial breeders raise puppies like livestock. She is probably just as confused and scared as if you had brought home a baby cow. She is used to being surrounded by her people: dogs. She's not used to being alone with aliens: humans. She's also probably not used to the sorts of new things she is experiencing in your home: the sound of a television, the beep of a microwave oven, the smell of coffee and toast in the morning, the rumble of a clothes washer or vacuum cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
4,008 Posts
It sounds to me like this puppy is mentally much the same mental state as a feral puppy would be. If you were in the US or the UK I would have suggested reaching out to a local animal rescue organization to see if they could recommend a behaviorist or trainer to help you work through the socialization issues. I don't know if your area has anything similar.

This article has some useful tips on dealing with under socialized dogs. How to Get a Scared Dog to Trust You: 9 Tips & Strategies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts