Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a 4 month old toy poodle and this is the first time i am getting a puppy. Most puppy's i have seen are active. My poodle eats well -at-least 2 times a day. But she is super quiet- mostly is sleeping. She barely runs around. If you leave her in a spot she will simply stay there. I was under the impression toy poodles are active but she is absolutely not. Is this normal. Her food eating and bowel moments seems fine.
Dog Dog supply Carnivore Comfort Dog breed

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria (10/6/2014) Mr. Leonard Pink (8/7/2017) Walter Grey (9/28/2010(
7,761 Posts
4 month old puppy should be eating 3 times a day and if not you need to make sure she is got suffering from hypoglycemia, low blood sugar that could kill her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 month old puppy should be eating 3 times a day and if not you need to make sure she is got suffering from hypoglycemia, low blood sugar that could kill her.
she eats pretty well twice and the 3rd would be random treats and so on. So you are sure that it un-common for a puppy to be inactive.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
412 Posts
How long have you had the puppy? Most puppies need to sleep most of the day, but during the time they are awake they should be very active. I would be concerned about a puppy who just sits there when left alone. Like Twyla says, you need to feed her more often regardless, but sometimes it can take a while for a puppy to get used to their new environment. If it's been longer than a couple of days on the correct feeding schedule I would be concerned enough to take the puppy to the vet.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
toy puppies are bouncy and very active, even the adult are bouncy and active.

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
Your puppy will sleep a lot, but she should definitely be curious, playful, and active when she is awake. It's not unusual for a puppy to be frightened and quiet the day they come home. However, the puppy should return to being a bouncy playful puppy within a day or so. I would get the puppy checked by a vet if she is still quiet. Last year we had another forum member living in the UAE go through quite an ordeal when her new puppy came down with Parvo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long have you had the puppy? Most puppies need to sleep most of the day, but during the time they are awake they should be very active. I would be concerned about a puppy who just sits there when left alone. Like Twyla says, you need to feed her more often regardless, but sometimes it can take a while for a puppy to get used to their new environment. If it's been longer than a couple of days on the correct feeding schedule I would be concerned enough to take the puppy to the vet.
We have had him for 5 days now. She mostly seems scared of everything. She eats reasonably well. But does not move around or explore the place. She pees and poops pretty normal. But just not interested in anything. She is vaccinated for Parvo. And has no symptoms. She is perhaps not adjusted to the new environment. When we checked with the vet verbally, she mentioned that its could be a character. No barking, no moving around, very silent- seems a bit too strange character to have.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Toy Water dog

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
She does sound very frightened and shut down. What sort of environment did she come from? Was she introduced to a variety of sights, sounds, smells, etc.? Even simple things like different floor surfaces are important for a puppy to experience at an early age. Same with exposure to males and females of various shapes and sizes.

Can you contact her breeder for some advice?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She does sound very frightened and shut down. What sort of environment did she come from? Was she introduced to a variety of sights, sounds, smells, etc.? Even simple things like different floor surfaces are important for a puppy to experience at an early age. Same with exposure to males and females of various shapes and sizes.

Can you contact her breeder for some advice?
Thanks Peggy for the reply. We got her from a pet store with many dogs. She was very playful and happy when we interacted with her at the store. But since reaching home its been the opposite. Moreover there are just 2 people at home. We regularly interact with the pet store and the vet. They said it could be a character. If so its a very strange one.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
She may just be very frightened after being separated from so many dogs, especially if she’s not had much one-on-one time with humans

Are you being quiet and gentle with her? Getting down to her level and letting her come to you? Giving her a warm place to burrow into and a safe, cozy place to sleep where she can see you?

You may find this article helpful:

And I would recommend googling “fear periods” and “trigger stacking.”

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She may just be very frightened after being separated from so many dogs, especially if she’s not had much one-on-one time with humans

Are you being quiet and gentle with her? Getting down to her level and letting her come to you? Giving her a warm place to burrow into and a safe, cozy place to sleep where she can see you?

You may find this article helpful:

And I would recommend googling “fear periods” and “trigger stacking.”
Possibly Peggy. Shes treated like a delicate darling - gently lifted- mostly resting in nice places. Even if she is scared that shouldn't last this long- its been 7 days. She stays burrowed in for a long time. Its a bit disheartening.

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
If she came from a pet store, there is a good chance she came from a high volume breeder. Big commercial breeders raise puppies like livestock. She is probably just as confused and scared as if you had brought home a baby cow. She is used to being surrounded by her people: dogs. She's not used to being alone with aliens: humans. She's also probably not used to the sorts of new things she is experiencing in your home: the sound of a television, the beep of a microwave oven, the smell of coffee and toast in the morning, the rumble of a clothes washer or vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If she came from a pet store, there is a good chance she came from a high volume breeder. Big commercial breeders raise puppies like livestock. She is probably just as confused and scared as if you had brought home a baby cow. She is used to being surrounded by her people: dogs. She's not used to being alone with aliens: humans. She's also probably not used to the sorts of new things she is experiencing in your home: the sound of a television, the beep of a microwave oven, the smell of coffee and toast in the morning, the rumble of a clothes washer or vacuum cleaner.
Yes mate- this does make sense. But i hope this settles soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It seems like she is just frightened. I would give her a week or two and you should see a difference. If she hasn't seen the vet, it would be a good idea to make an appointment. Every new dog/puppy should be taken promptly to the vet for an initial exam.
Sure Dechi. Thank you. Will patiently wait.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts