Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:smow:Hello,
We have had Nettie for about a month she is such a sweet little girl.she is 9 months old and came from the breeders home.The only challenge we have with her is her silence she has not barked yet and just this weekend started to notice her new toys she won't play with us she does however like to steal socks and flip flops. she does not chew them just puts them in one of her beds.The breeder said she has 14 dogs and they are elderly maybe nodody played with her? Our vet checked her,ran all blood tests everything is normal
if anyone has run into anything like this or has helpfull hints we would really appreciate feedback we just want her to be happy
Thanks,
Sharon

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
:)Congrats on your pup.

Where have you taken her socialization wise? Do you get visitors often? I would surround her with different noises.

My initial thinking is - lucky you, it will come - the barking....Sometimes it takes dogs a few months to really open up to who they really are.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Well as far as the barking goes.... count your lucky stars. I'd imagine that with 14 dogs in the house, the breeder strictly enforced the QUIET rule.

As far as play goes, this is a skill that is developed in dogs. Again, with 14 dogs, I imagine that this girl did not get enough 1-on-1 time so she may be delayed in this area.

I'd start slow. She likes socks? How about teaching her to play tug-o-war with socks? Let her win a couple of times and tell her how smart she is. Retrieving needs to start slow and small too. Put her in your lap. Tease her with a small toy that is easy to pick up and carry. Throw the toy just 2 ft in front of her. When she picks up the toy *** NOT BEFORE*** PRAISE PRAISE! Eventually she will pick it up and you can encourage her to come back.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a silent dog too! Our mini, Cozi, just turned 1 year and she has still never barked. I LOVE it. She communicates very well with "nosebops" and such.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My Cricket didn't start barking until she hit 3 years old. She used to be quiet as a mouse, and now all of a sudden she barks like CRAZY whenever she hears un unfamiliar noise outside, or if a stranger comes to the door! Clover doesn't bark unless a) Cricket is barking or b) the baby cries (although it's more of a howl/bark when he cries.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Beau was 6 mos old when we got him, and he didn't bark for so long we were beginning to wonder if he knew how. Foolish humans! He not only knows how to bark, he can howl with the best of 'em. He's also got a pretty amazing repertoire of cries and vocalizations; he sometimes almost sounds like he's trying to talk. We live in a quiet, tightly packed suburban neighborhood, and barking dogs are not appreciated. Now when he barks, I go to the window, put my hands on my hips, glare, and wag my finger. Usually stops him - for a while.

I would be perfectly happy if he had never "learned how" to bark, that's for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd enjoy every minute of it, because when we brought home our 7-month-old toy, he started barking right away, and he does that a lot. IMO, way too much.
We see the similar thing with parrots for example. Some love to vocalize and some are more quiet. Also, some people talk a lot, or too much :), and some prefer to keep it to themselves.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Agreed, embrace the quiet! Darcy has started to be very vocal, he "talks", whines and barks. It's something I will have to get a handle of as I can see he would pretty much bark for everything if I let him. So be happy you have this nice little quiet gem! The alternative can be pretty noisy. :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
OMG, a dog that doesn't bark, I am green with envy!!!! I think poodles can put many dogs to shame not only with their gorgeous looks, keen intelligence, but also with their barking. Romeo (my cream male) even taught my little Havanese how to bark. Now when my Hav hear a noise he starts barking first (in the cutest bark ever) and looks at Romeo for guidance. It's really quite cute, if it wasn't so annoying.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My girl Claire doesn't bark very often. We have tried to teach her to bark to be let outside and also to speak for treats, and she won't do either. The only time she barks is if the other 2 dogs start barking. She's very smart, just a quiet girl. And your girl will learn how to play, just give her time and lots of attention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts