Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the younger members of my family have convinced me that the name I picked out for my poodle could be offensive. There's no way I'd want to hurt anyone feelings.
It's just a name. But I spent a lot of time working out the call name and registered name and now my brain is tired.
Could y'all help me out please?
It'll be a black (or possibly brown) spoo puppy bitch.
Dam's name is Mamma Mia and sire's name is Double Dipper and they're called Mia and Dee.
I know y'all are wondering, so I'll go ahead and say it - I was going to call her Madea. After the Tyler Perry character. Her registered name was going to be[ Kennel Name] Made A Scofflaw.
I'm considering using Scofflaw as a suffix still. My farm's name is First Light Farm, but I thought Scofflaw might make a fun kennel name. Fewer letters. Or maybe I'll use First Light. I don't know. :)
I like call names that fit with the registered name.
For example, if I called her Sookie I might register her as [7 letter Kennel Name] Wait Until Dark at [Scofflaw or First Light]. That's my one idea.
I also like the name Maisie, but can't really come up with a registered name for that one.
We plan on showing in obedience and rally, so something easy to call out over a distance would be good.
I'm told AKC now has a fifty letter limit. The last time I registered anyone I thought it was thirty-five.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I never thought of anyone being offended by that. I had a hen named Madea because her personality reminded me of the the Tyler Perry's character so much. She was a riot but she was so loud that anytime we had to catch her people across the lake would check on us to make certain I was okay. At distance it sounded like someone was being attacked. You could carry her around & she'd tell you off the whole time. Loved that bird & named her that because both the character & the bird were funny & strong characters.

I might have to change the name of our place to offensive farm because every animal we have is named after some book, movie, or tv character.

I love your farm name.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't know who that character is, but I like to name for itself...
Maisie- Maze Running At/To Scofflaw

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For Want of Poodle - thank you! I hadn't thought of "may see". I'd been doing maze, amazing, Mrs. Maisel, maize, etc. But I think I have the name I want now. I'll wait till it's official because I don't want to jinx it.
Looks like her call name will be Maisie. My husband, my paralegal and I (the three people who will need to say it most) all like the name.
I certainly didn't think there was anything offensive about my original name. I'm a huge fan of the character. I think she's hilarious and tough, both qualities I admire. But this is why it's good to run things by people from different generations than oneself, I guess.:)
When I asked the guy who does my business website (which is linked to my FB page, on which I am sure the pup will appear often) he first laughed and then said "Yeah. No."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not familiar with the character and not sure if this is the exact concern being raised by family members, but I'd err on the side of caution when naming a black or brown dog after a PoC, particularly if the character could be seen as playing to stereotypes. I really wanted to name our poodle (who happens to be black) Zora after Zora Neale Hurston and ultimately decided it wasn't a great idea. I am white and live in a historically Black neighborhood, which I think also makes a difference. I might not have thought twice about it under different circumstances.

I love the name Maisie!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts