Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Penny started to vomit again. It was lucky as we already had a vet appointment for her rabies shot a few hours later. He gave us Hills i/d food and told us to try it and see if she stops. Then a couple of days later she vomited a lot we took her to the vet got tested for parasites, and a cbc was done for any infection. There was nothing that they saw. So antibiotics were given prophalatically. So we were giving her to them. The next day breakfast time, she then vomited again 10 times within 4 hours. So x-rays were done with barium. There was no obstruction. I didn't think so as she was able to go to the bathroom fine. it was just a little soft. The doctor said that she was not digesting fast enough and feeding to much. I fed her three times a day. 1/8 of evo dry with 1 fork of wet evo to mix. with the dogwells chicken treats and she only has 1 per day max. As Penny doesn't like to eat just dry. Her feedings got cut down to 2 times. She is doing better. I just have two questions.

how much do you feed your mini 5 month old? And does this diagnoses make sense to any one? as her portions are small and evened out through out the day.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am sorry Penny is having such a hard time. 1/8 of a cup, twice a day is very little food. But, Evo is very rich and high in protein and fat, so that may be enough. How much does Penny currently weigh?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She now weighs 8 pounds. When she started to go to the vet she was 8.2 pounds. Shes lost a little weight but i dont know whether its significant for her or not.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I went to natura pet website (the makers of evo) and according to Penny's age and weight, she should be eating 7/8 of a cup of dry evo. Here's the link to the calculator on their website.
http://www.naturapet.com/tools/feeding.asp

At five months, Penny should be gaining weight, not loosing, but she was just sick so I am sure she will bounce back. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to natura pet website (the makers of evo) and according to Penny's age and weight, she should be eating 7/8 of a cup of dry evo. Here's the link to the calculator on their website.
http://www.naturapet.com/tools/feeding.asp

At five months, Penny should be gaining weight, not loosing, but she was just sick so I am sure she will bounce back. :)
This is why it doesnt make sense to me. i went by that feeding her. So i fed her 3/8 of dry a day with some wet food say just under a 1/4 of the big can. This didnt seem enough to begin with now i have to cut down. My little one is so hungry during the day. They did say give her carrot stick for lunch when the vomiting has stopped. But this feeding schedule seems awfully odd to me the portion sizes to what is recommended. But so far no vomiting which is good.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If she continues to improve, with no vomiting try adding a little food to each feeding or give a small amount at lunchtime and see how it goes. If she continues to keep her food down, keep adding till she is back to eating what she should. She is a growing girl and needs her nutrition.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know if this is the case with your puppy but I heard that type of food (evo) is too rich for some dogs and they can't be on it. I really hope your baby is well soon.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I personally would try switching foods and see if that solves your problem. I had my youngest Schnauzer on EVO as a pup, and at night he would pant nonstop and nothing would help him (giving him water, letting him sleep by a fan, bathing him in cool water, etc.). Took him off the EVO and a few days later he was fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So its been a couple of days. I have only been feeding her two main meals and a little here and there and she's doing fine. She hasn't vomited at all. We go to the vet on tuesday for a check up but she's ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts