Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christmas Tree that is, preferably with poodles around it.

LJ Christmas 2018C.jpg

LJ Christmas 2018B.jpg

LJ Christmas 2018A.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Great Christmas photos and you even captured the camera shy Lily. Alas no tree here, just me and DH for the holidays (always a rough time for me) I will have to get a tabletop tree in the sales for the next Christmas. Am sitting quietly today, in bed reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Forge-Bob-Drury/dp/1501152718/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1545774821&sr=1-1&keywords=valley+forge+by+bob+drury+and+tom+clavin

I saw the authors in a book discussion on CSPAN. A very interesting accessible read that is a look at the Revolution and all the characters involved.
Happy Holidays, all.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Beautiful tree, Catherine! Well, my pic is in my signature :) As you can see, ornaments on our tree were very sparse this year! I'm very inspired by the color I'm seeing on my friends' trees.

I'm sorry for my friends who had a hard Christmas. I must admit it was a pretty hard day for me too. I just tried to focus on how grateful I am to have my dogs. Could never live without them!

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oops, see below.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is a rough day for lots of folks. I hope you all find peace and comfort with your loved ones. I went alone to my brother's family (BF went to see his mom at nursing home). It was sort of a bummer, especially since no one bothered to tell me what time to come even though I sent texts to my brother and my mom asking about it.

Rather than the spartan approach I made sure nothing fragile went on the bottom half of my tree. It was also sitting in the stand in the living room with nothing on if for a couple of days, then just lights for a couple of days. We didn't have a tree last year because it was sort of a rough season around here and the year before that I definitely didn't trust baby dog Javelin for a full size tree.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Merry Christmas to everyone! It was a quiet one for us, just DH, Abbey, Dolly and myself, but we did have an early Christmas with my daughter and family on the 21st. She is a 911 dispatcher and is working today, it's a difficult job most days but the holiday season is especially emotional.
A lot of us have, or have had hard things to endure over the holidays, I've certainly had my share of heartache in the past and still do. Our son lives on the acreage next to ours, and for reasons beyond our control hasn't spoke to us for five years. Never give up hope, and remember that "this too shall pass".

Attachments

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Well we have just a little table top tree. I could not get Renn to sit quietly next to it for a picture, hence the picture of our boxer on another thread, LOL. So yesterday I got everything set up and ready for the oven. Daughter #2 worked days at hospital 7-3 and daughter #1 was doing a night shift but going to church first. So I figured dinner @5:30 would work and we could all be together. Well it worked, however I got a oven started and decided to walk Renn. We were just about in the driveway, I just had to cross the street when I saw two families also walking their dogs, one we did not know. There were 3 dogs and all were pulling the owners up the street. Two I wasn't worried about as I knew the owners would rein them in but the "visitor" ..well I decided to go faster to get in the driveway, Renn was good but a little excited just looking back toward the "unknown" and as I looked back and at him saying Look at me he crossed slightly in front of me and wham I fell flat . So embarrassing, The guy said I can't get to you and I as politely said please don't my dog will get to excited and I'm ok. So I got myself up and went into the house. So my arm is scared up, a finger, my knee that was replaced, but its all minor, but my right shoulder and arm is quite sore this morning making it difficult to lift it. Guess I will get some rubbing alcohol/ ice & heat and get myself back on track. Oh and today I start a 7 day pet sitting job but fortunately they are geriatric dogs so it won't be bad except we are expected to have 4 inches of rain. Sorry had to vent it out. But we got thru Christmas dinner and it was very good.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mufar I am sorry you got banged up. I hope you are feeling okay today. When we went out late in the day yesterday, BF took Peeves to the nursing home to see his mother and as he was getting ready he asked if I was taking Lily and/or Javelin with me and I said no way since I thought the four dogs that live at my brother's house were already more than enough dogs. They have a mini doxie who was a Christmas gift to my younger niece 8 years ago. We had that puppy at our house for almost 3 weeks before my brother came and got him at 5:00 AM so he could be a surprise from Santa. He isn't reliably housebroken because it was a very snowy winter and he was such a tiny pup. Then they have a 4 1/2 year old designer mix (flat coated retriever, English Springer Spaniel) who has always been sort of hyper and now honestly is really fat. They also have two beagles who were retired from a research program that they adopted. Not a single one of those dogs sat for anyone other than my brother while I was there. The only one that didn't jump on me repeatedly was the doxie. I came home with a big hole in the sleeve on my Christmas sweater that I was wearing for the second time. Holidays and crazy dogs or a mix of dogs that are overexcited isn't so much fun.

Reactions: Mufar42

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Thankyou they all can be excited. Sorry your sweater took a beating too. Renn will not get his walks today. I see another neighbor has her son visiting with his two siberian huskies walking him down the street and her mixed corgi walking her. So we will just stay in today as my whole right side is hurting and I don't want to take a chance until I feel I can stay in control. LOL

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Had a nice Christmas, Christmas Eve the girls got doggy ice cream, and Christmas day they got scrambled eggs with a tiny bit of sausage, they were so good. Went to a future clients house by invitation t meet her daughters (2 sets of twins) lovely dinner. She is 83 with health problems and ask that I join them as she wanted me to meet her daughters, as when she has to leave I will be dealing with them, and this is the only time all 4 are there, FL, TX,,CA, Western MD. Not the bet terms to meet, but her requirement

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Sounds like you had a good Christmas with your adorable pups. It was nice of you total the time out of your holiday to visit with the family. I am guessing you will be her care taker when the time is necessary. It will make it easier knowing the family a bit I am sure.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Doing a full on tree this year just was not possible for me to manage this year, but I CAN NOT BE WITHOUT ONE! So I found a little one! Then, because when I was a child, I always wanted a BIG shiny aluminum tree like my friends had..(my Mom was too traditional, always big green live trees for our family!)........so I got a GOLD SHINY LITTLE 2ft TABLETOP
TREE! LOL! It is so cute!

As for the rest of our Christmas, it was spent at my son's house ( I forgot my camera!) where Molly decided she was not going share the house with another female dog! Molly has NEVER been aggressive with other dogs male or female, ever! For some reason she decided from the get go that Isabel (the other female dog who was visiting with her owners) was her enemy.... any time Izzy entered a room where Molly was at, Molly would actually take off after her, even though Izzy is twice+ her size. Poor Izzy was terrified, and so was I, as Izzy is a pittie mix! A very nice pittie, non aggressive and sweet, but you never know what will happen! We kept a very close eye on Molly! She was happy as long as there was a lap or a couch to occupy LOL! Can't figure out why she did this as she is absolutely neutral with all other dogs ...........I have NEVER hear such a vicious noise like what came out of her that day! I am just glad Molly didn't make bodily contact with Izzy, cuz I'm sure it would've meant a trip to the ER!!!! :adore: TG!

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think almost every dog has a dog or type of dog they just don't want anything to do with. For Lily is is other black female standard poodles. I think anthropomorphically that she thinks she is supposed to be the one of a kind queen of the world.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Glad to see I am not the only one with a small tree this year. For two weeks leading up to Christmas, I had a hand and thumb injury (which very weirdly turned out to be a rib out of place pinching a nerve.) thankfully a chiropractor was able to fix it a couple of days before Christmas. Because of the injury I couldn’t do anything - it was my right hand and I was so lost without it. That’s why we didn’t even attempt our big tree.

The holiday was good for us (spent locally with my husband’s parents and siblings) but halfway through the day I found out that my grandma had died that’s morning, so that was very hard for me. We had found out she had cancer less than two weeks before, and knew she was fading but I didn’t know it would happen so soon. Other than that, everything was good and the holiday was enjoyable! Nice to see everyone else’s trees!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts