Poodle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,645 Posts
I have noticed that puppies do this a lot, looking up at the owners. They seem to be looking for acceptance about what they are doing. I wonder if just not making eye contact with him when he looks up might help it out. Sometimes just the eye contact is enough to reinforce the behavior and signal that he's doing the right thing.

· Registered
2,645 Posts
It's also my understanding that unless you have an outstanding puppy you aren't going to win titles so just go to shows as a learning experience for both you and the dog. Puppies aren't even done growing so it's really hard to win (unless in it's own class of course) because you don't really know how they are going to end up until they are finished growing. Some aren't even done growing until they are 18 months.

· Registered
2,645 Posts
Even though pups don't win much you still need to train them. Enzo is 12 months so he will be consider an adult soon with in the show ring.
Oh yes I agree which is part of the reason you still enter them in shows and take the handling lessons. If you don't start early they aren't going to "show" for you in the puppy class.

· Registered
2,645 Posts
We went to class last night and Enzo was so bad !!!!!

It was a big class ! There was a bulldog in Heat and Enzo was going nuts lol.
This teacher is so great we learned a lot from her last night.

I will try to get video next time. its outside in the dark so we will see if we can get video or pics.
That totally sucks that you have to pay for your classes but it's good that you are exposing him to it. There will be bitches in heat at the shows so he needs to know how to behave.

· Registered
2,645 Posts
Ok yeah that's exactly what I do........he wouldn't have gotten far then as he has in his short career. Besides how can one train another if they themselves not sure of what they are doing? Lets see you handle him in the next show, and how well your ring skills are hahahahahahaha.They may be slightly better than mine but still not at pro level.lol:doh:
And this is the main reason there aren't enough owner/handlers in the poodle ring in my opinion. Too many pros to compete with and not a lot of people that are willing to go up against a pro. I know for me that's one of the intimidation factors of showing a poodle.

· Registered
2,645 Posts
I agree , most breeders and handlers tell my sister and I are brave ....

We got a colored dog and are trying to show him ourselves I don't see whats wrong for trying.we are thick skinned so I dunno why people make it seem like handling your own dog is a horror film lol
I don't either. I mean why are certain colors harder to win with or why is it easier to win with a dog instead of a bitch if you are new? There are just some things that I think are ridiculous about showing dogs but I still want to do it for some unknown reason.

· Registered
2,645 Posts
Enzo's second Night went better :D we let him burn off some energy before class.

I love our teacher she is so great, we are learning a lot from her in just 1 hr :). I was going to tape on monday but it was foggy and you can barely see !
You guys should video this. It would be so great for people to see where he makes mistakes and how you are told to correct them. Glad things are better.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.