Poodle Forum banner

Show training

4895 Views 48 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  wishpoo
does anyone have any tips ?

Enzo is difficult to get trotting right in the ring he wants to run. We need a new show collar and not sure which one to get. Our problem is keeping the chain high on the neck.

We will take him to this UKC show on sunday just for kicks lol I am meeting my friend there because he wants to show me his new amstaff puppy that he will soon be showing AKC.

He gets the standing part right. Now when we say stand ( i will see if I get it on tape lol) he walks to us and puts his face in our hand and positions him self lol.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
20" collar ???? That seems very large. You don't want them to have a bunch of play in the collar. I would think a 16-18" would be fine.

You don't want to use a martingale type collar like the one you posted because it catches the hair. Ditto the one Kpoos posted. I'm surprised that a poodle person would give you one of these because I would think the coat would catch in that slide.

My handler uses the following show collars with a matching lead:

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf...1/catid/132/vname/Braided_Nylon_Choke_Collars

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf...081/catid/132/vname/XFine_CHROME_Snake_Chains

If Enzo is running, you need to 1. slow his gait back to a trot and 2. get him to carry himself.

Too many dogs pull/hang on their leads, poke their heads and necks and sort of skitter around the ring. This is the kiss of death in a Poodle who is supposed to have upright carriage and movement with suspension.

Some people simply string a Poodle up. This is where you hold a very tight and short leash and basically hold up the dog. Many dogs will fight this or they will gag in the ring. I saw one dog actually throw up. I think it is ugly and you will run across judges every now and then who will make you show a poodle on a loose lead.

I think a better method is what in horses we call a half halt. This check and release.... check and release method encourages a Poodle to collect himself up and move with good self carriage. I've seen Betty Brown use this method.
Well the 18 inch barely fits over his head :wacko:

I dont know about horse training so what is a half halt ? I agree I do not like how the handlers string a dog up, I always see the hacking and gagging we never do this with Enzo.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol All well thanks for trying to explain on what to do to help. I will try the working on opposite thing.

I think its funny how Enzo knows the difference between show and just walking out side on his regular leash. At shows he behaves better and pays attention, out on the street he does not pay attention to me at all.... ( I am working on this with treats)

He does not run all of the time though

like here in this video you can see he is not running.

The last show he was trying to run and my sister could not correct him probably. The judge ( Amateur class) also told her to not sue the bait and let his leash loose so we are all confused on what to do ....

Another Judge at a UKC show who was an AKC judge was telling my sister to not correct and stop moving if he runs ........:eek:hwell:

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He meant to not bait while she was moving the dog, right? Just watching the video I fond it a little distacting that she was using the bait while moving Enzo. IMO bait is best used while stacking, but while moving them out it's better to just get them trotting (maybe with a quick sniff of bait before you get started to rev them up). I also think the lines look better if the dog is looking forward more than looking at the handler.
Cd and WP that video was just for an example this was not the show where the judge told us to use no bait and loose lead. in the video he won that class.

I guess we have been training him wrong then. I thought they wanted the head up. How would you stop him from looking up at you ? because we need to fix that.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They do want the head up Roxy thats correct, I doubt very seriously you've been doing anything wrong with him :) Head up though does not mean looking at you. When they look at you constantly throughout movement it throws their outline off just a tad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwvLTMYTH2M

I found a video that illistrates what I'm talking about - sorry it's a little guy, it's goingt o look slow to you like he's just plodding around the ring lol Not like what the swift graceful poodle movement. Anyway in the vid his head is up the entire time, but he is NOT looking at me on the down and back. On the trip around the ring though he's sighted the bait (no pockest in those dang pants I'm afraid) and he's trying to decide if he should move out or heel lol. With his head turned in and looking up he's throwing off his outline and bouncing in his front movement messing a little with the whole reach and drive goal. It's something I would normaly correct but he in this case... what do you want for a retired senior citizen - That boy is NINE! :) He was in the top ten when we retired him to do obedience seven 1/2 years ago. Im not sure but you might catch a couple of those wrist movements I was trying to explain... I can't see them but I know they are there b/c this guy would love nother better than the tear around the ring full steam ahead.
This is what I meant how would you stop him from looking at you while gaiting ?

I will have to watch the video at home , work computer does not allow you tube lol

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Fabulous! But realize that the two white dogs and the black puppy in that video are all Specials quality Poodles with tremendous movement, attitude and carriage. That is breeding as much as it is training or handling.

I don't think anyone on this board get to that same place even with all the training in the world :)
Yeah Enzo would never move like that lol I think Enzo has a pretty nice gait for being a red but I would never be that fabulous.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's also my understanding that unless you have an outstanding puppy you aren't going to win titles so just go to shows as a learning experience for both you and the dog. Puppies aren't even done growing so it's really hard to win (unless in it's own class of course) because you don't really know how they are going to end up until they are finished growing. Some aren't even done growing until they are 18 months.
Even though pups don't win much you still need to train them. Enzo is 12 months so he will be consider an adult soon with in the show ring.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just paid for handling classes :) the local club finally has it again we missed on class but that is not a big deal so we will be going on monday

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Cbrand , I am not sure what I was thinking when I said he has a 22" collar lol

I forgot we upgraded him to a 18" his 16" would not fit over his head not the 18" so he fits 18"

We will be going to the class today I can not wait :D

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We went to class last night and Enzo was so bad !!!!!

It was a big class ! There was a bulldog in Heat and Enzo was going nuts lol.
This teacher is so great we learned a lot from her last night.

I will try to get video next time. its outside in the dark so we will see if we can get video or pics.

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I just love how my sister's lack of faith in Enzo about how he will never gait like that lol. We have been told he moves well and is showy from top handlers.They really like his gait/carrige, it just that I have to learn to bring it out which I'm not good at lol. Class yesterday was fun we learned a lot hopefully we can get some results so we can share them with you guys.
because someone never trains him :thefinger: lol

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok yeah that's exactly what I do........he wouldn't have gotten far then as he has in his short career. Besides how can one train another if they themselves not sure of what they are doing? Lets see you handle him in the next show, and how well your ring skills are hahahahahahaha.They may be slightly better than mine but still not at pro level.lol:doh:
you know exactly what i mean by training him ..... you never practice with him on slowing down for the judge , or getting him used to distractions hence why he acts up at ukc shows lol
You want to practice the night before a show LMAO

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
And this is the main reason there aren't enough owner/handlers in the poodle ring in my opinion. Too many pros to compete with and not a lot of people that are willing to go up against a pro. I know for me that's one of the intimidation factors of showing a poodle.
I agree , most breeders and handlers tell my sister and I are brave ....

We got a colored dog and are trying to show him ourselves I don't see whats wrong for trying.we are thick skinned so I dunno why people make it seem like handling your own dog is a horror film lol

· Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Enzo's second Night went better :D we let him burn off some energy before class.

I love our teacher she is so great, we are learning a lot from her in just 1 hr :). I was going to tape on monday but it was foggy and you can barely see !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.