Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The puppies from my Gracy/Starbuck litter just turned 7 months old and one of them made her AKC show debut this weekend at the Cheyenne Kennel Club. She is:

Beauvoir's Penelope Star (Penny)
http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=375566

Penny is owned by Dr. Pam Epperson DVM from Bountiful, UT. Up until last weekend, Penny was hanging out on the farm, playing with Pams other dogs (a little too much for her show coat!) and trying very hard not to chase the chickens.

This weekend she got washed and scissored and was given a crash course in how to be a real show dog. (Really.... you want me to hold my head THAT high when I gait around and do I really need to lean that much into my front when you stack me?) Penny is a really tryer though and she did her very best to please.

When we walked over to the ring on Saturday, my heart just dropped. There ringside was Kim Russell, a very well known professional handler from California, with two really well bred, black class bitches who were in full specials coat :hypnotized: :hypnotized: :hypnotized: Kim was in Wyoming to try for Best in Show (which she won BTW) with the Standard dog she is specialing and so she brought along a couple of bitches... one only needed two points to finish.

OK.... there's a lost weekend for us. Well it would be good practice for Penny anyway, we all told ourselves.

Well knock me over with a feather, but Penny beat both those bitches on Sunday and went Winner's Bitch! Holy Cow! I couldn't believe it. The win was only worth 1 point because there weren't that many bitches there, but going up over two mature bitches of that quality is a huge honor.

Many thanks as always to Laurel Berg who is the most amazing professional handler ever!

So on Penny goes... Her next show is Salinas, KS in two weeks.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Congats Cbrand that is so awesome

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Congrats Cbrand! There's nothing quite so sweet in confirmation as unexpectedly beating one of the biggies. :) Sounds like your pup is something special, any photos available to share?!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The puppies from my Gracy/Starbuck litter just turned 7 months old and one of them made her AKC show debut this weekend at the Cheyenne Kennel Club. She is:

Beauvoir's Penelope Star (Penny)
http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=375566

Penny is owned by Dr. Pam Epperson DVM from Bountiful, UT. Up until last weekend, Penny was hanging out on the farm, playing with Pams other dogs (a little too much for her show coat!) and trying very hard not to chase the chickens.

This weekend she got washed and scissored and was given a crash course in how to be a real show dog. (Really.... you want me to hold my head THAT high when I gait around and do I really need to lean that much into my front when you stack me?) Penny is a really tryer though and she did her very best to please.

When we walked over to the ring on Saturday, my heart just dropped. There ringside was Kim Russell, a very well known professional handler from California, with two really well bred, black class bitches who were in full specials coat :hypnotized: :hypnotized: :hypnotized: Kim was in Wyoming to try for Best in Show (which she won BTW) with the Standard dog she is specialing and so she brought along a couple of bitches... one only needed two points to finish.

OK.... there's a lost weekend for us. Well it would be good practice for Penny anyway, we all told ourselves.

Well knock me over with a feather, but Penny beat both those bitches on Sunday and went Winner's Bitch! Holy Cow! I couldn't believe it. The win was only worth 1 point because there weren't that many bitches there, but going up over two mature bitches of that quality is a huge honor.

Many thanks as always to Laurel Berg who is the most amazing professional handler ever!

So on Penny goes... Her next show is Salinas, KS in two weeks.
Salina?? I just may have to go!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Salina?? I just may have to go!!
I think you are right.... Salina, KS It is not this weekend but maybe next? Please do go and tell me how she does? She could have shown this weekend at the Evergreen Kennel Club show in Greeley, but Pam forgot to get her entered in time. Oops...

I called Pam to see if she got a good picture, because the ones I took with my camera phone are not pretty. As soon as I get a picture, I will post it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.poodleforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3072&stc=1&d=1251775629

I'm not sure I attached this photo correctly. It seems very small.

Anyway, what's to like about Penny:
Short Loin
Inky black color
Excellent coat texture
Balanced movement with decent reach and drive
Clean coming and going
Nice carriage
Good feet
Very dark eye
The sweetest temperament ever!

What's not to like:
Large loose eye
Heavy head lacking length of muzzle
Tail set and carriage could be higher
Could be more angulated front and rear
Could be in better coat for her age
The sweetest temperament ever means that she is a bit too laid back.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
http://www.poodleforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3072&stc=1&d=1251775629

I'm not sure I attached this photo correctly. It seems very small.

Anyway, what's to like about Penny:
Short Loin
Inky black color
Excellent coat texture
Balanced movement with decent reach and drive
Clean coming and going
Nice carriage
Good feet
Very dark eye
The sweetest temperament ever!

What's not to like:
Large loose eye
Heavy head lacking length of muzzle
Tail set and carriage could be higher
Could be more angulated front and rear
Could be in better coat for her age
The sweetest temperament ever means that she is a bit too laid back.

Cbrand I love how you post your dogs good qualities and bad qualities ! No kennel blindness here :D

Her grooming is great did Laurel groom her ?

I know what to ask you some questions about Enzo pm'd :D

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Congrats and she is a beautiful bitch. Sounds like she is showing well for her handler. Presentation is a big deal AKC and it sounds like they made quite the impression on the judge along with her good looks. Great job!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts