Poodle Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
We have a ukc puppy class coming up in Jan. and I have been trying to stay on top of her nails every 3-4 days. Though I did it yesterday and went back and did it again today. I was surprised I was actually able to take a little more off. I try to be conservative as I don’t want to hurt her .
How much shorter do I need to get them?

I just bought a diamond Dremel bit to help ( not really sure if they are that much better than the regular bit). I have a show groomer that is going to groom her for me at the end of December as I don’t really know where to start. I bought the leading edge poodle University but I’m going to watch this time around as she has a lot of hair.

View attachment 453787

http://https://www.affordablegroomingshears.com/product/ruff-to-buff-medium-21-diamond-dremel-bits/
How do you tell if you are down to the quick? I use a Dremel and thought that there would be a white circle (his nails are black) so that is where I should stop.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The white circle is the layer that means your getting closer. Near the quick with black nails should be white and then a small black dot in the middle. So if you are seeing all white you aren’t there. If you are trimming with the alternate cut you probably should stop on the top half when you see white and the bottom cut/dremmel line you want to see the dot in the middle. With Nova’s nails it’s hard because her’s is not solid. The light helps me see into the nail and on most of them I can see where the quick is. So the top half I do a \ line until I get close to the quick and the bottom line is a /. I haven’t gotten the angles really down much because I just started with this. Her quick is not long and skinny we are already to the thick part of the blood supply. The middle of Nova’s is pale pink not black so I really have to pay attention.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I really like how easy it is to post in this new format. I used to lurk more because it’s not easy to update but now I really like it.

Comparing it close to the first picture I can really see the difference in a week. I will update later to hopefully show a bigger difference.

This one with the wet longer hair is the older pic. The other picture with the blue background was this morning . I did it Tuesday and again on Wed. and was still able to get a tiny bit off. I haven’t done it this morning but looking at the picture It looks like I can take some off again . Just a few touches to each nail but I think that works out better because it’s quicker.

I’m also doing Sandy’s but haven’t taken photos.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I really like how easy it is to post in this new format. I used to lurk more because it’s not easy to update but now I really like it.

Comparing it close to the first picture I can really see the difference in a week. I will update later to hopefully show a bigger difference.

This one with the wet longer hair is the older pic. The other picture with the blue background was this morning . I did it Tuesday and again on Wed. and was still able to get a tiny bit off. I haven’t done it this morning but looking at the picture It looks like I can take some off again . Just a few touches to each nail but I think that works out better because it’s quicker.

I’m also doing Sandy’s but haven’t taken photos. View attachment 463214
Mel that looks so much better already! That's great improvement in only a week!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mel - Nova's nails look great!!! I'm really impressed. That's a huge difference!

Starvt (or anyone else with a black standard!)- I was wondering if you'd be able to take a photo of a "before and after" in one session of nail clipping. Annie's nails are a bit longer than I'd like even though i do them weekly, and I feel like it's because I am so timid with the clippers after I quicked her when she jerked a few months ago. I feel like it would be really helpful to see the change in one session.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mel - Nova's nails look great!!! I'm really impressed. That's a huge difference!

Starvt (or anyone else with a black standard!)- I was wondering if you'd be able to take a photo of a "before and after" in one session of nail clipping. Annie's nails are a bit longer than I'd like even though i do them weekly, and I feel like it's because I am so timid with the clippers after I quicked her when she jerked a few months ago. I feel like it would be really helpful to see the change in one session.
Sorry for the super late response- I had just trimmed Raffi's nails before I read this. I tried to take pictures the next time but they did not work. These are still not the greatest, sorry. Black is so hard to work with!
Raffi is only 5 months so his nails are not as thick as an adult's will be.

You can see that the nail on the left is not trimmed but the one on the right is. Once the nail grows thicker I will be able to shape it better.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry for the super late response- I had just trimmed Raffi's nails before I read this. I tried to take pictures the next time but they did not work. These are still not the greatest, sorry. Black is so hard to work with!
Raffi is only 5 months so his nails are not as thick as an adult's will be. View attachment 463625
You can see that the nail on the left is not trimmed but the one on the right is. Once the nail grows thicker I will be able to shape it better.
Thanks Starvt! Seeing a picture of a "finished" nail is really helpful - I see what you mean about trimming the sides now, and it looks like maybe I can cut a bit further than I currently am. All the pictures I found online previously were of really overgrown nails, which I think look very different.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Does anyone know what the white line is when looking underneath the nails . Nova ‘s nails are white. I can’t tell if that’s the quick or not. I’m still working on getting them back but not making much progress..or it’s just slow.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anyone know what the white line is when looking underneath the nails . Nova ‘s nails are white. I can’t tell if that’s the quick or not. I’m still working on getting them back but not making much progress..or it’s just slow.
Do you have a picture, or can you describe where/when you see it? I'm having a hard time envisioning what you mean.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I took her in the sun where I could see better . Sorry pictures are blurry. I think it’s just part of her quick that I’m seeing. It’s been two days since I’ve dremeled.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
After dremeling the front. Looks better. I think.

Sometimes the angles aren’t great because of the position she is at the time or if she isn’t being still. She still tries to lick the dremel.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes the updated picture looks much better.
The white line, do you mean straight down the inner center? Or the curve that arcs from the sides of the nail up to the bottom and top edges of where you have trimmed?
That arc, is the dry outer layer of the nail. It's less obvious when using a dremel I think, but the more distinct difference between the outer layer and the visible inside, and the thinner the outer layer, the closer you are to the quick.
I tried to take some pics of my mastiff. She has whitish/pinkish nails on this foot. Here is untrimmed (sack embarrassingly long):

Here I have just taken the tip off one nail:

Here the nail is properly trimmed shorter:

You can see the slight curve/angle from the side here. Two nails trimmed and one not:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thank you that helps! Will the thick quick still go back once it’s no longer skinny and long? That’s pretty much where I am at now . I’ve read on another site that if you use a little prep h on the end it will help shrink them faster.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, the quick will continue to shrink back as long as you keep it close to being exposed. Think of a person's nail, someone who continually keeps them very short has a much shorter nail bed with no sensitivity versus if you have long nails and break one at that same level. You want to trim them just before that point of discomfort, all the way around and not just at the tip of the nail, and then keep them there with regular trims (weekly is good). The bottom naturally wears a bit with walking which is why you should focus your efforts on the top and sides.
I've never used preparation H, I can understand how it might work, but it seems to me that you would need to be at the level of discomfort for it to actually do anything. I suppose it wouldn't hurt (as long as the dog doesn't lick it).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts