Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a ukc puppy class coming up in Jan. and I have been trying to stay on top of her nails every 3-4 days. Though I did it yesterday and went back and did it again today. I was surprised I was actually able to take a little more off. I try to be conservative as I don’t want to hurt her .
How much shorter do I need to get them?

I just bought a diamond Dremel bit to help ( not really sure if they are that much better than the regular bit). I have a show groomer that is going to groom her for me at the end of December as I don’t really know where to start. I bought the leading edge poodle University but I’m going to watch this time around as she has a lot of hair.

97798BC9-04EA-4F88-89E4-158DE96D4362.jpeg

http://https://www.affordablegroomingshears.com/product/ruff-to-buff-medium-21-diamond-dremel-bits/

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is Zephyr's foot, I dremel his nails once a week. It doesn't matter how often you do it, if you don't get close enough to the quick the vein will keep getting longer. You have to get right down to the quick without going so deep that it bleeds. If the vein has already grown out then it will take some time to get the nail shorter, but if you keep getting right down to the quick the vein will shorten.
x.jpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I guess it’s not a good photo of her sitting down. Here is this a quick close up from this morning (wet from grass) . I’m getting new shears sometime next week so that when I will trim the hair on her feet.

Front foot
AF751A9A-E04B-4FB8-B8C1-92F72BB0B4F2_1575723612915.jpg

Back foot - I see I can go ahead get the backs again today. Her nails grow so fast.

7AECBA04-0882-47A9-B13D-C8A22576B431_1575723750107.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here is Raffi's foot, I use plier style trimmers and do them once every 1-2 weeks. Personally I prefer actual trmers because by taking off a sliver at a time I can see when I am getting close to the quick. For lack of a better description, it looks damp in the center.
One tip to help shorten them up, is to change your angle and take more off the top of the nail than the bottom. This helps get closer to the quick without actually hitting it and it will shrink back.
So if you are facing the paw, first trim the 'front' of the nail, angled towards the top of the toe (probably about 45* from the floor), then a little off each side.
I think they look much neater this way too. I do lots of nails trims every week and find this is the best way!

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can’t use trimmers because her quick is too close ( or at least I think) . I just got in a diamond bit yesterday and I’m amazed at the difference between this and the normal Bit. Nova doesn’t seem to mind it as much so I think it has less vibration (Sandy seemed to not mind it either). I think it will really help .

Seems like the side nails I have more work to do.This was this morning.
4C74B66D-886F-44DF-BE20-14C8E75B996F.jpg
A8410649-0FA5-4682-817D-98386D7B7BE0.jpg

I’ve been told before that I did take much off the bottom and that’s why I couldn’t get Sandy’s nail short so I’ve been trying to more of a straight line or a / angle. This bit had a concave so it thinks it’s going to help.

Unfortunately my Dremel kept cutting off when I got to Sandy’s nails so it’s going to bite the bucket soon. It’s lasted almost 7years so I can’t complain even though it’s really loud. Seems like a micro mini is highly recommended so I’m going to try that out.

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can’t use trimmers because her quick is too close ( or at least I think) .

There's really no such thing as the quick being 'too close' to use a trimmer, but it does require some practice and confidence to use them. I can certainly understand that you might not feel comfortable using trimmers, but the angles I described would apply to dremeling (is that a word lol?) as well.

Seems like the side nails I have more work to do.This was this morning.
View attachment 453839
View attachment 453841

The side toes tend to get longer because they are more for balance than actual support, and thus get worn down less.
Mel,

It looks like you need to look into using the alternative cut line, rather than just cutting off the ends in the traditional way.

You can check out this link to see what I'm talking about. Also there is a Facebook group dedicated to dog nail trims- and they have master class information on trimming/dremeling dog nails.

https://www.pawsitivestepsrehab.com/blog/all-about-those-toes-the-importance-of-nail-trims/
Newport, that's a great visual of what I was trying to say! Thanks!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually joined up with that group today. I’m still waiting on approval. I thought that’s what I was doing before with Sandy’s nails but the stud owner told me that I need to change the angle that I was doing it and so I’ve been doing it differently.. still got it wrong I guess.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was still confused by the diagram. Which angle was the correct one?
The diagram from Viking Queen is the 'traditional' or typical way, on the link from Newport the blue line is the correct angle (the orange is the traditional) that will help shorten the nails better. I do all nails that way.
This angle applies to dremeling as well as nail trimmers.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
One week later... every other day. Not sure they look any different but I changed the way I was doing it and I bought a new dremel. Love that it has a light and I can actually see what I’m doing and where the quick is. This was with the regular coarse bit . The diamond medium one that I have takes too long so I’m going to buy a different one.

BE2E2207-3A61-411D-A8A0-23C5B62B016C.jpeg

She is laying down in both photos.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Also if comparing her feet to feet that are not shaved close they look completely different. In the recent photo she is shaved with a 30 (other than the itty bitty stray hairs). She still isn’t perfect with shaving so I get it done quickly then reward .

·
Registered
485 Posts
lt takes some time for the vein to shorten, so they won't look much different for a while. Looks like you're doing a good job.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lt takes some time for the vein to shorten, so they won't look much different for a while. Looks like you're doing a good job.
Is my goal to get half of where they are currently? It’s really hard for me to tell in photos. Fortunately she is going to a professional master groomer at the end of the month so I can bomb her with questions 🤪.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
What is the make and model of your new dremel with the light?
I do not have a dremel yet, and am looking for the best one. My Spoo hates having his feet done so even the groomer does not do them well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It looks better to me! Even 1/3 off will be a big improvement, it's hard to tell by a picture exactly how much shorter but I would guess that half is a good goal.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is the make and model of your new dremel with the light?
I do not have a dremel yet, and am looking for the best one. My Spoo hates having his feet done so even the groomer does not do them well.
I’m using a micro mini 8050 . I did get the extended warranty because that the main complaint is that they stop charging after awhile. The light is awesome.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks Mel, it looks interesting. I was a bit startled at how much it costs.

I don't know what groomers have done that he hates having his nails done so much.

What methods have people used successfully for counter conditioning and desensitizing ? Hopefully I can get him to like it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I would join th Facebook group they have a study unit on how to get your dogs comfortable with it. I am going to use some of there tips but while they are all about getting a nail done with no pressure I just get it done with treats before and afterwards (not during because they get too excited) . If they start saying no I don’t want to I’m firm and persistent about getting it done. That won’t work for all dogs. Since I’ve been doing both since they were puppies they pretty much don’t fight me. Nova’s main issue is she wants to bite or lick the dremel..so I have to keep pushing her face away.

There are other dremels that are cheaper but I like this way more than the master groomer dremel that I’ve used for 7yrs. . The light makes it so much easier to see what you are doing and it’s easy to hold. No cord either which is nice.

I hesitated with the price also. The way I figure it is if your doing your own nails and grooming you are saving in the long run so get decent tools. At least that’s what I told hubby when I upgraded my dryer and shears 🤪.Other dremels will work also but you won’t have the same features.
www.facebook.com/groups/nail.maintenance.for.dogs/

1 - 20 of 36 Posts