Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either pics of a cute pet clip you've done on a dog you've groomed... or a cut you'd have your dog be in.

Lincoln and Tsuki are due for trims. I wanted to grow them out over the winter but with their coats still changing (they're about a year) I want it short and simple.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I like more stylized clips. Here's the German and I think the Modern (not 100% positive that's what it is). I would guess the third pic is a lamb trim w/ short ears.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You're correct, thats a modern Harley Chick.

I like a nice lamb clip for an easy pet style, Almost the same length all over with slightly longer but well blended in legs. There are all sorts of variations on the lamb when it comes to how well blended you want to do the legs. Le'me see if I can dig up some photos... I may have one or two. I know Aiden just put her boy in one, it's in the photo section.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Here we go (click on them, the pictures get bigger)

This is a well blended lamb, hand scissor all over (but you can do it shorter and get the exact same look) that I was going to grow out into a modern... then another groomer ruined it.

Shorter lamb clip with moustache. This is a #2 snap on comb or a #4 blade on the body- can't remember which just now, and a 0 gaurd just skimmed down the outside of the legs. This is one of my favorite lengths for a lamb clip 2 G body, 0 G legs or scissor well blended.

Jazz in a same length all over - not a lamb clip but still cute. It's about an inch in length.

Same dog as the first in a more Miami... well kinda. It ws the best I could do to try and fix what the previous groomer did. Arrggg! Anyhow, it's a cute style I think. This one has a crest also, meaning the hair on the back of the neck is longer than the body and scissored to be blended in, gives a more elegant neckline = more style. The body length here is another 2 snap on comb, my fav length for still fluffy but almost no brushing required so doesn't matt.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oooh Harley I LOVE that first one you posted. I plan to get Desmond in that once he's older. :)

Right now I have him in a lamb trim. Blended the legs in a lot though, he's just under 1/2 inch on his legs, and a little less than 3/8 on his body. I agree with WonderPup that a Lamb Trim is good for easy-maintenance pet clips.

I like this as well:

It's short all over, but still leaves a bit of fluff for cuddling. It's not too hard to brush at all, so it would make the coat change easier.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
a few more

Top two are mostly unblended lamb trims if you want to name them. First one was Saleen's first haircut and the second was taken about 6 weeks later.

Now that her coat is begining to change this is what Saleen looks like now. It's a #4 on the body and a 0 snap on skimmed on the legs with tight scissoring to blend. You could call this clip a lot of things. The ears were shaved with a 10 blade two months prior.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Herley _ thanks for great photos !!!!! I love them all ! My Mom used to clip our spoo in somewhat modified Dutch clip - I wish I have a photo. It looked so nice and I never saw USA dogs in that clip. It would be like white dog that you posted but with body shaven shorter and whole legs left longer !!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Some Paris pics....

her Desi trim at the moment:

her full german trim:

An old pet trim on her:

Saffy and Hestia (left and right) both have more of pet clips on them, leaving enough length to look nice, but not huge amount of hair...

more to come...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
an old boy , left with a bit of hair for winter:

more of Paris:

Generally for a nice pet trim, I use maybe a 3/4" or 5/8" snap on comb over the body, or perhaps as short as a 4F or 5F if it's a dark poodle and/or has a thick coat (Paris can't pull that off, her skin shows through her coat when it's that short!) and the legs done either by hand (if using a snap on comb on the body) or using a 1" or 3/4" snap on comb if the body is shorter... Ears, head, and tail all styled to suit your preferences!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This is my granparents spoo as a puppy in a puppy type clip

and this is like 6 months of topknot growth lol
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
646 Posts
awsome pics everyone I love them all. I had grown Mandy out but then we moved she got spayed and I got pnomonia and well she is shaved back down to the bikini and not a very good one as I had just cut off her pom poms since she grew out so well LOL. She also had iodine stains on her back from her spaying.
She is also has licked all her front legs so they have that icky pink fur I wanted cut off.
She is bathed and dryed so just need to scissor her up and then let her grow again.
I had cut her top knot back not long ago to so she is a growing work in progress s I love her with a long top knot blended to her ears never that line at ears.
Casey has been rough clipped way down with the longest guide comb so needs a bath and scissoring. I can't believe how long and Matted he got in just a short busy month.
Everyone feeling great now so bath and finishing is coming

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Newpoodlemum, Jak and Wonder, those are great pics!!!

Maybe you guys could help me. I've pretty confused on the difference between the modern and the lamb clip. I can tell that the modern has more neck hair, but what are the other differences?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Harley chik,

From The Kalstone grooming book;
"The modern clip most closely resembles the American Lamb clip, but is exicuted with a european flair" The book also notes that there is to a be a clean unbroken line from topknot to base of tail with no seperation between hindquaters and mane.

So basicly it is a stylized lamb clip.

Here it is important to note that here in the US many groomer A) don't leave a crest on any poodle, and B) are in the habit of making the legs much more obviously full than the body. Meaning that many many groomers here don't know the difference (or for that matter reconize one) between the town and county (shaved body, full legs with split between the leg so it isn;t a banded clip), and the lamb clip. You could never shave the body and leve big puffy legs rounded at the hips and shoulder and call that a modern. Likewise you could not call a clip where the groomer began the clipperwork at the base of the skull and clipper the neck the same length as the body a modern.

From the Kalstone book again (begining instructions for the lamb clip)
"starting at the base of the skull and cliping towards the tail use the snap on comb attackment to shorter the hair on the back and sides of the neck and down the back to the tail"

Does that help?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts