Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts
Fascinating article, Johanna! I laughed about smuggling hairspray across state lines. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I did too - people will do anything for an edge.

What is a ear fryer?

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I enjoyed that! I was disappointed that AquaNet wasn't mentioned though! Hahaha!

Liked the comment on Texasitis! (and how the TK height is a little over the top now! cuz I agree!)

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts
Some Texans strike oil and some make their millions in dog grooming products like Chris Christensen. And good for him. If you can achieve big hair, dog or human, in Texas with our heat, rain and 90% humidity - hats off! (Good hair day.)

How widespread is the use of “wiggies” or hair extensions in poodles? Tell me that doesn’t happen at PCA or Westminster.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wiggies are found at all levels of competition. The most common reason to use one is for a dog that likes to rub his/her head and therefore the topknot hair is broken or thin.

Exhibitors of many breeds have lots of interesting techniques for making their dogs look outstanding. I don't get excited about most "enhancements" so long as they are not covering up a heritable defect. So the use of wiggies, the coloring of sunburned hair, the use of chalk to emphasize white - those are OK by me. Dental work to correct a bad bite, insertion of a fake testicle in a monorchid, coloring a mismark - those are not OK. It's also not appropriate to show in conformation a dog who has had patella surgery. Conformation is supposed to be an evaluation of breeding stock; dogs who have had surgery or dental correction should not, as a rule, be bred. JMHO.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Just want to add the part about shellac for topknots had me a bit agog :). I really wonder how they got it out. I shellacked my favorite pair of point shoes until they literally rotted. Hard to imagine that in Poodle hair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I realize this is an older thread, but still not too old, I hope!

I just wanted to remark on the length of the topknot. From the linked article:
...and the top third goes from the dog’s eye to someplace up in the wild blue yonder...
Right. And the AKC breed standard says:
In all clips the hair of the topknot may be left free or held in place by elastic bands.
See any show poodles with unbanded topknot lately?
The hair is only of sufficient length to present a smooth outline.
Seems like 12" of topknot is a bit more than that sufficient to present a smooth outline.

"Topknot" refers only to hair on the skull, from stop to occiput. This is the only area where elastic bands may be used.
Since elastics can only be used on the head, all that hair on the top of the neck gets stacked up there using nothing but... a foreign substance.

I remember seeing a video on YouTube (can’t believe I was able to find it again!) that had been taken at a show in Kansas, and the standard poodles were being shown without hairspray, or any other “product” from the looks of it. Every single one of them. I suppose the judge must have been known for following the rules! But the dogs sure looked a bit funny with all that excess hair flopping around, like horses’ mains.

Has anybody in recent memory tried showing a poodle with grooming that conforms to the breed standard? If so, to what result?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Ethan thanks for the video hahaha. That was very entertaining to watch. Wish I could tell who the judge was. I do know the man showing the first poodle. Met him at a show a few weeks ago and he is very nice. I have heard of judges who won't allow anything like that but they are few and far between and I haven't ever showed to one.

To answer your question about poodles being shown without any "additives" yes, it does happen. Not frequently but it seems to be happening a bit more now. PCA released an illustrated breed standard with updated illustrations this year (I haven't seen the whole thing yet, just an occasional picture here and there - you have to purchase it rather than being able to view it for free online.) But it contains illustrations of the HCC - historically correct continental and that has given some people a boost to try showing their dog in it. I have several facebook friends who have taken their dogs down to that trim to show them. One friend took multiple 5 point majors towards her grch this past weekend with her silver beige mini in a short HCC.

I would say that a lot of people using the trim are going towards their grand championship, which is much easier to get than the regular ch. If you are on facebook, join the group new to showing poodles and you can find photos of some people who have cut their dogs into that trim and they look great. One of them used to be an active forum member here - hunny (something-can't remember). Aria's mom.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am thrilled to hear that people are now using the HCC! When Zoe comes home I think I will put her in that and special her in local shows from time to time. It would be ever so much easier to keep up.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Just want to add the part about shellac for topknots had me a bit agog :). I really wonder how they got it out. I shellacked my favorite pair of point shoes until they literally rotted. Hard to imagine that in Poodle hair.
Thinner, or solvent for shelac is rubbing alcohol so I imagine they used that to "rinse out" the shelac.....yeesh!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts