Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may be a weird question.. but what if your bitch is in season when a show comes up? I'd always imagined that you do not take your bitch to the show.. with SO many intact males being around, not to mention the ew factor.

When I went to see Desertreefs two girls in show there was an afgan hound that was VERY OBVIOUSLY in heat, she was a mess on the base of her tail and all down her back legs. The owner wasn't just having her in the ring either, she was walking her around. Is going to show just too tempting that people take their in season bitches to show?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
you're allowed to bring your girl to confirmation shows when she's in heat. Not to obedience/rally/agility ones though. I've heard some bring them along just to rile up the competitors dogs who loose their brain around an in-season bitch!!

But yes, they're allowed there, and allowed to be judged and be around. Though most would be keeping her in their vehicle or something to keep her 'safe'!! lol

Oh, it's also common courtesy to let the judge know she's in season BEFORE he goes feeling down the back angulation...! ew!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Very common. Most people use wadded up tissue paper as a sort of tampon. I've seen more than one handler forget to remove this before they went into the ring. Oops!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well I have once taken a female in heat to a show.

I kept her in the car until it was just short time until we had to be in the ring and then I took her out and held her away from all the other dogs.

Then we got our run in the ring and then straight out again.

I did not notice any males becoming irritated by her there.

You can also spray something on them to keep the smell down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts