Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted a breeder this morning and found that she doesn't do any health testing for her dams, only the sire. This seems too big a risk for me to take getting a puppy from her because of it. Should I let her know? I hope that if she realizes that she's losing lots of business, she'll start doing the testing.

Otherwise, she seems to do good socialization with the puppies. And it's the closest breeder to where I live (as far as I've been able to find). It's a shame that she's just missing the health testing.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
If you feel you have enough of a rapport with this breeder to do so I would keep it very simple and say that while there are aspects of her breeding that you like you don't feel comfortable buying a puppy from lines where the dams haven't been health tested. I wouldn't make it a complicated back and forth, just a no thanks with a brief why. It is up to that person as to whether they change what they do. There are plenty of buyers who wouldn't know any better so it isn't really likely making a dent in her ability to sell.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I probably would speak to her and say something like I like all the health testing that has been done on the sire but isn't there any on the dam, why not. And then say I'd pass on buying a pup. Seems odd to me that she is u sing a health tested stud and not health testing the bitch.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would not buy a puppy from someone who is not health testing both dogs. I'm assuming the stud is hers as well, I can't imagine anyone with a health tested stud even thinking of breeding him to an untested bitch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts