Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We recently lost our 13 yo Havanese and I am exploring options for our next puppy. Does anyone know the major differences between a pure bred Havanese and a Havapoo (Havanese/poodle cross)? I am wondering if the Havapoo is easier to housetrain and less likely to chew as is common with the Havanese? Also, what would be the grooming differences? Would they be equally good with children! Thank you for any opinions!

·
Premium Member
23,795 Posts
There are not true set types for these designer hybrids than for their parent breeds. I would either get a Havanese or a poodle.

·
Registered
783 Posts
If choosing between a Havanese or a Havanese/Poodle mix, I would get the Havanese. Mixed breed dogs are less likely to be from quality parents.

House training and nuisance chewing are training issues that can happen with any breed. Commit yourself to learning how to train, going to puppy classes, and hiring a dog trainer to come to your home to get you on track as needed. If your previous dog toileted in the home, make sure a complete cleaning has been done before bringing home a new puppy.

Also see our new puppy sticky for more information on training puppies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’ve had the healthiest dog I’ve ever had, 14.5 right now, and he’s a mutt from the pound. I’ve had the sickliest 2 dogs I’ve ever had, one diagnosed with hip dysplasia before a year and another with chronic allergies/ear infections/ skin infections her entire life, also mutts. I’ll never pay for a designer mutt, so my vote is buy a poodle or buy a Havanese from a reputable breeder that does all the recommended breed-specific testing or adopt a shelter mutt. Adopting is a pretty terrible option right now because of the pandemic induced dog shortage in most places, but I suspect in a year or so there will be an over abundance of young dogs looking for new homes.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Get a poodle if you don’t want a Havanese. I see no interest in getting a mixed breed, since you never know how they are going to turn out, either physically or temperament wise. Also, I would never encourage anyone breeding mutts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts