Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old standard poodle and a 2 year old 3/4standard, 1/4 Great Pyrenees mix.
I have fed both dogs Fromm large breed adult for their whole life.
My standard in the past year has had 4 episodes of horrible diarrhea for several days where she wakes me up every 30 min-1hr to go outside. I usually take her to the vet, she checks out, and they give a round of antibiotics and probiotics plus a diet change for a week to either chicken and rice or Science Diet i/d. They don’t know what causes it as it is random and she is fine when I switch her back to Fromm until it recurs. This last time I was able to control it by giving her chicken & rice for a few days and the science diet since we bought a large bag a couple months ago. The science diet is very expensive so I’d rather not keep them on it.
We don’t know the cause, and it’s very random. She dies eat grass and weeds on occasion.
Should I keep them on the Fromm or switch brands to a sensitive stomach type?
Any suggestions if I switch? I had a friend recommend Go! but it’s a little pricy.
Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My first thought is that your dog is getting into something. She could be getting in the trash, yours or your neighbor's. Someone may be tossing something over the fence. I don't think a food that she is fine with for weeks, suddenly makes her feel bad, then she is fine with it again.

Eating grass is usually an indication that the tummy is upset and it sometimes will give them diarrhea or cause vomiting. It is probably not the grass, unless it is being sprayed.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
I feed Science Diet but not the pricey or specific conditions from the vet. Currently I am feeding:
Hill's Science Diet Adult Light With Chicken Meal & Barley Dry Dog Food, 30-lb bag - Chewy.com. They come in different sizes bag with a velcro closing. I usually get the 15 lb bay for Asta. But you might find another Science Diet for more active poodles. Have had no problems with this food - good poops, eats all his dinner and just poking around grass but not eating it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first thought is that your dog is getting into something. She could be getting in the trash, yours or your neighbor's. Someone may be tossing something over the fence. I don't think a food that she is fine with for weeks, suddenly makes her feel bad, then she is fine with it again.

Eating grass is usually an indication that the tummy is upset and it sometimes will give them diarrhea or cause vomiting. It is probably not the grass, unless it is being sprayed.
We have a small yard with only side neighbors, so we’d see anything if they tossed it over. New sod, so no spraying at the moment. They do get some tissues and such from the bathroom trash cans when extremely mischievous, but that shouldn’t do it.
Thats why we are so confused. We can’t figure it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feed Science Diet but not the pricey or specific conditions from the vet. Currently I am feeding:
Hill's Science Diet Adult Light With Chicken Meal & Barley Dry Dog Food, 30-lb bag - Chewy.com. They come in different sizes bag with a velcro closing. I usually get the 15 lb bay for Asta. But you might find another Science Diet for more active poodles. Have had no problems with this food - good poops, eats all his dinner and just poking around grass but not eating it.
I’ll look into those. I was thinking of the Victor High pro plus food. Slightly cheaper than Fromm and great reviews.

·
Super Moderator
5,380 Posts
1. Would you share a photo of the pyr mix for me?? I've seen a 50/50 (HUGE!!) but would love to see what a quarter looks like. :)

2. I think it sounds like the food is fine. In fact, it's probably better than fine since your sensitive poodle is tolerating it so well the majority of the time.

My last girl was a sensitive one, too, and when I found a food that worked for her, I did not stray from it. In fact, I wouldn't even switch while she had flare-ups. I'd just supplement some plain boiled white chicken or lean ground turkey for a few days until she was feeling like herself again.

Have you considered keeping the probiotics going? You might need to try a couple until you find one that's well tolerated. (Some can cause painful gas.)

(And it goes without saying that you should not spray pesticides on any grass that pets will be on. Same goes with chemical fertilizer. Don't believe a word the packaging says. Just don't use it and steer clear of parks that do. These products can be a nightmare for sensitive dogs.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Would you share a photo of the pyr mix for me?? I've seen a 50/50 (HUGE!!) but would love to see what a quarter looks like. :)

2. I think it sounds like the food is fine. In fact, it's probably better than fine since your sensitive poodle is tolerating it so well the majority of the time.

My last girl was a sensitive one, too, and when I found a food that worked for her, I did not stray from it. In fact, I wouldn't even switch while she had flare-ups. I'd just supplement some plain boiled white chicken or lean ground turkey for a few days until she was feeling like herself again.

Have you considered keeping the probiotics going? You might need to try a couple until you find one that's well tolerated. (Some can cause painful gas.)

(And it goes without saying that you should not spray pesticides on any grass that pets will be on. Same goes with chemical fertilizer. Don't believe a word the packaging says. Just don't use it and steer clear of parks that do. These products can be a nightmare for sensitive dogs.)
Here’s one of her full sized and freshly groomed with a summer cut vs her not long after we got her. Her hair color changed along her back and face from black/mixed to white. She kept the darker color only on her ears. She is softer then our standard but is smaller! Her hair picks up any and every stick possible since it’s softer too. I thought she was going to be bigger since she has a quarter Great Pyrenees.

thanks for your thoughts. I already give them a multivitamin but I may start some probiotics.
4387DC99-69A8-41D6-A258-8A3DC3EFC5AC.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
5,380 Posts
Here’s one of her full sized and freshly groomed with a summer cut vs her not long after we got her. Her hair color changed along her back and face from black/mixed to white. She kept the darker color only on her ears. She is softer then our standard but is smaller! Her hair picks up any and every stick possible since it’s softer too. I thought she was going to be bigger since she has a quarter Great Pyrenees.

thanks for your thoughts. I already give them a multivitamin but I may start some probiotics.
View attachment 466273 View attachment 466274
She has very sweet, kind-looking eyes. Thank you for sharing. :)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Very pretty cross, cursed with that soft coat that everything sticks to... but doesn't it feel good to run your barefeet over her? If your sensitive stomach girl continues with her upsets I would consider having her tested for Addison's. Better to have her tested than to lose her in a full blown crisis down the road. Addison's is nicknamed the "great Pretender" because it has so many different symptoms. I have a 14 year old male that has tested out as borderline Addison's since he was 6 months old, and one of his reoccurring symptoms is "queasy gut". I have him on Honest Kitchen, Showstopper and goat's milk. I used to have the Addison's test repeated every couple of years, always got the same borderline result. I quit testing him when he turned 12. Being aware of his diagnosis, I have been careful about stresses in his life. Also, he did have one crisis where he walked around like he was drunk. I rushed him to the vet and as soon as I reminded them of the "nearly" Addison's, they gave him a hydrocortisone injection and he perked right up. Best of luck to you\, hopefully Addison's is not the issue (but your dog can still have a long, happy life with it.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 3 year old standard poodle and a 2 year old 3/4standard, 1/4 Great Pyrenees mix.
I have fed both dogs Fromm large breed adult for their whole life.
My standard in the past year has had 4 episodes of horrible diarrhea for several days where she wakes me up every 30 min-1hr to go outside. I usually take her to the vet, she checks out, and they give a round of antibiotics and probiotics plus a diet change for a week to either chicken and rice or Science Diet i/d. They don’t know what causes it as it is random and she is fine when I switch her back to Fromm until it recurs. This last time I was able to control it by giving her chicken & rice for a few days and the science diet since we bought a large bag a couple months ago. The science diet is very expensive so I’d rather not keep them on it.
We don’t know the cause, and it’s very random. She dies eat grass and weeds on occasion.
Should I keep them on the Fromm or switch brands to a sensitive stomach type?
Any suggestions if I switch? I had a friend recommend Go! but it’s a little pricy.
Thanks!
my standard is allergic to all poultry. Almost all food and treata has chicken, duck or turkey. she had a soft stool and sometimes diahrreha from this. The vet couldnt figure it out u til one day i gave her boiled chicken breast. She has eaten natural balance lamb and rice for all breeds for years now and has no more problems. After i discovered this, the breeder said her uncle had this problem and a trainer told me it was fairly common in dogs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My sensitive girl, Tango, takes Proviable (probiotic you can buy on Amazon) every morning and in the evening she gets a scoop of pumpkin and 2 scoops of Rx Clay...very low dose. My vet recommend the Rx Clay and it has made a big difference. If Tango gets an upset gut I can just add another scoop or two of Rx Clay and she's usually fine by morning. I do keep Diagel on hand for when she's really feeling yucky. I order the Diagel on Amazon, cheaper than the vet's office. Tango gets colitis easily, especially when stressed. I often have a Rx of metronidazole on hand just in case. Tango was negative for Addison's. We feed her FreshPet. She was on Fromm for the first 6 months we had her and had random bouts of diarrhea or jags where she wouldn't eat. She typically begs for her breakfast and dinner now. Good luck figuring out what works best for your pup!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My sensitive girl, Tango, takes Proviable (probiotic you can buy on Amazon) every morning and in the evening she gets a scoop of pumpkin and 2 scoops of Rx Clay...very low dose. My vet recommend the Rx Clay and it has made a big difference. If Tango gets an upset gut I can just add another scoop or two of Rx Clay and she's usually fine by morning. I do keep Diagel on hand for when she's really feeling yucky. I order the Diagel on Amazon, cheaper than the vet's office. Tango gets colitis easily, especially when stressed. I often have a Rx of metronidazole on hand just in case. Tango was negative for Addison's. We feed her FreshPet. She was on Fromm for the first 6 months we had her and had random bouts of diarrhea or jags where she wouldn't eat. She typically begs for her breakfast and dinner now. Good luck figuring out what works best for your pup!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Wow thanks for the info! I’ll be picking up several of those items.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feed Victor high pro . No problem with his poos, regular and firm .
I started it a couple days ago and both are doing great with it. One loves it and the other I think is tolerating it but eats at 30% now mix. Hopefully she’ll get use to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts