Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of yet the vet has only been able to find one testicle on Darcy, with the latest check being this past week-end at 14 weeks. She said not to be concerned unless it had not come down by 6 months.

Obviously his possible show career will be slightly (ok completely) hindered if he only has the one necessary item. So does anyone have experience with testicles coming down after this time, or is it starting to look pretty dire?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My parents' Duck Toller had bilateral cryptorchisdism and was fixed at 7 mths. This is a common problem for that breed but I am not sure about Poodles. My parents were told the same thing about the 6 month mark.

Fingers crossed for you!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Were they not down at 8 weeks? My personal experience is that they can bounce up and down but if they are not down at some point around 8 weeks then they may not both come down.

Were you going to try to show this boy? I thought he was going to be for performance only.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My mini had both down at 8 weeks, then one went back up and has not come down. He's 7 months now and I don't expect it to descend at this point.

My vet did tell me that if it's close to the ring they could potentially manually push it down so you may want to ask you vet about this.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were they not down at 8 weeks? My personal experience is that they can bounce up and down but if they are not down at some point around 8 weeks then they may not both come down.

Were you going to try to show this boy? I thought he was going to be for performance only.
The breeder couldn't locate them at 8 weeks, and our vet couldn't at 9 weeks. I'm starting to think they won't both come down.

Depending on how he turns out, the breeder wanted to try and get a Canadian Ch. on him. He definitely seems to have potential, but not if he only has the one testicle! I won't be overly broken hearted if we can't, as then I don't have to maintain show coat, but I know she will be. With the disaster that was his breeding he's almost the end of the line she's been working on for the last however many years. Her last hope outside of him is another dog she co-owns from her last litter.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
To date the only male puppy I have had whose testicles were both not down by eight weeks was Wiz's brother Archer. And he would have had some more extensive surgery when being neutered. Every male pup has had both testicles when having their vet physical at seven weeks prior to going ito their new homes at eight weeks of age. That was the first thing I had the vet check when Quincy went for his shot. Obviously, if he hadn't had both, it could have been a big kick in the keester when I am planning on breeding him!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It took awhile for my Dobie's ones to drop. One came down, and as cbrand said, it sort of popped up and down... lol... But it did eventually come down :p
And now it is all good... I cannot remember when the 2nd one did fully.... but it was before his first show at 4 months or so...

There may still be hope!!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
All of my pups had both there downs at 6 weeks of age and they where there still when they where 8 weeks.
Now when I meet them I always check to see if they are still there and the 3 that I have met have them at 4 months.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
All of my pups had both there downs at 6 weeks of age and they where there still when they where 8 weeks.
Now when I meet them I always check to see if they are still there and the 3 that I have met have them at 4 months.
Well Winnow...they must like seeing you...lol!!! Quincy's are there too.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My Border Collie's went up and down for a few months. Finally at 6 months they both disappeared. It took 2 hours in surgery for the vet to find them both. One was way up in his abdomen. She said it could have gone either way. It depends on where they are when the Annular (sp?) tubes close.

Good luck!!!!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
As of yet the vet has only been able to find one testicle on Darcy, with the latest check being this past week-end at 14 weeks. She said not to be concerned unless it had not come down by 6 months.
Monti didn't have his testicles down even at 6 months vet visit. If he had them down in 10 weeks when we got him I don't know. The breeder didn't tell me and I didn't know to ask :rolffleyes:. I was also worried but the vet at 6 months sad not to worry, they can drop later. I totally forgot about it and one day I felt them when I was picking him up. I was jumping up and down and my husband was laughing at silly me :bird:

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
When Vegas would lay on his back when he was yougner they'd sometimes disappear back inside, but come right back out when he stood up. Now that he's in a continental cut uh.. *cough* they're very obviously there.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My havanese had one undescended testicle at 12 weeks and it was still undescended at 6.5 months when he was neutered. It was all the way up in his abdomen.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One funny thing about this single testicle story is that while we were at the vet's on Saturday she was feeling around for quite a while to see what she could determine (I can't actually tell Darcy has even the one testicle!) Anyway, she's feeling around back there when Darcy suddenly starts humping the air and humps himself across the table. My mom said 'well, he won't mind coming back to the vet next time'. We all had a good laugh about it and the vet turned bright red. It was so funny!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Robbie (Cavalier) was neutred at 6 months and it came down just before being neutered as it wasn't there on the last check buy was down when they did the neuter..Flyer (poodle) was neutered at 9 months .. the kept thinking they could feel the 2nd one on occassion but it never came down.. it was just a little bit up when they did the neuter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts