Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleo is only 4 months, so it can't be coat change, but since i trimmed her body, the hair does seem curlier, and it's almost impossible to tell if i'm brushing effectively with the slicker. I don't see mats, but I also can't see if i'm getting to her skin in a lot of places. I don't want to scratch her, so I'm doing more with the pin brush and comb instead.

What is the best combination to use when she still has her puppy hair, and it's shortish? Should I still be brushing every day, and should I use a spray of some kind, would that make it easier?

·
Registered
578 Posts
How short did you take it? Can you get a comb through it? My new boy has a very different coat than my girl and a I am having to learn to groom all over again with him. His is so much courser and more dense! I used a 5F on his body and scissored his legs. I start with slicker brush and then comb through everything so I know I haven’t just brushed over a mat. I only use coat spray on his tail and ears. His tail is so wooly ain’t can barely get through it without the spray, whereas by girl’s tails is floppy and easy to comb out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raven's Mom, I did her body with a 3/4" comb and left her legs, TK, neck long. I have no trouble on her legs, tk, ears, or neck. Her tail is floppy, so that's easy, too. Lots of areas on her body and chest, however, look tighter and curlier, especially her back and sides, and just below where I shaved her neck in front. (I don't know if what i mean is visible in the photo.) I use the slicker first, but i feel like in those places, i often don't get down to where I see her skin, which, i should, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, that makes sense! the comb does go through it. I have one with both wide teeth and narrow teeth, but i have been using the wide end, mostly. I'm also wondering, should I brush her every day? I do, to keep up with mats and also to keep her used to it, but maybe that's too much?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that brush rec, Maizie-Frosty. I've been looking for a slicker with tips! Cleo does not enjoy the normal one I have, although it's self-cleaning, which is nice.
I do brush her every day. Luckily, she doesn't hate it (except the slicker!).

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
You have already gotten good advise and I am just a beginner when it comes to poodle coats but since I started using Ice on ice, it is so much easier to comb thru Renn's coat. I use a pin, occasionally a slicker then comb him thru. I have been quite lucky no mats or knots since I've started using this spray.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
If you have a conditioner you already use, you can make your own brushing spray by putting a couple of teaspoons of conditioner in a spray bottle filled with water. I've even used my own conditioner in a pinch! Also Mane & Tail has a water based, fragrance free, detangler......

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
137 Posts
If he hates the slicker, maybe you have the wrong kind. We have a slicker my pup absolutely hates. He's OK with the soft slickers, but this one is too hard, and he's letting me know that he doesn't like it :wink:

·
Registered
398 Posts
MaizieFrosty,

I just wanted to thank you for suggesting this brush & sharing the link. The one I got is a little different but it's the same brand & it has made a world of difference! I had no idea there could be such a difference in slicker brushes! Mr. Layne is very happy with this

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been using the Well & Good brush, too, and it is so much better! Cleo doesn't love being brushed, but she doesn't mind nearly as much now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts