Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reggie’s coat has seemed very long lately and he doesn’t have a grooming appointment scheduled for a while, so I’m going to try grooming him. His topknot is pretty floppy at this length so it definitely needs to be shortened. There’s a great video on how to do the legs on another thread, but I’m not quite sure how to shorten his topknot and still keep the current blended look. Would a 1” guard be too short?

·
Registered
461 Posts
There are plenty of youtube videos which address how to do a topknot. If you're brave enough, you may get better results with shears. You could alway use your largest guard, and finish with shears. If this is something you plan on doing regularly, I recommend getting a set of curved shears - 8 or 9 inch. Good luck and post a picture of your results.

BTW, Reggie is one handsome fellow.

·
Administrator
12,843 Posts
I just tried shortening Peggy’s topknot with curved shears for the first time and WOW was it ever easier than using my clippers or straight scissorsIt’s far from polished—I’m a notoriously clumsy home groomer, which is why I generally rely on the pros—but the rough shape is there.

Dog Plant Water dog Carnivore Dog breed

Dog Plant Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

Plant Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

I also had to shorten her ears because one was matted. But you obviously don’t have to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are plenty of youtube videos which address how to do a topknot. If you're brave enough, you may get better results with shears. You could alway use your largest guard, and finish with shears. If this is something you plan on doing regularly, I recommend getting a set of curved shears - 8 or 9 inch. Good luck and post a picture of your results.

BTW, Reggie is one handsome fellow.
Thanks for the tip! I was finally able to find a video that shows how to do a blended topknot. I do have a pair of short curved shears that should work. It seems pretty daunting, but I’m sure if I take just a bit of hair off at a time with the shears it should be fine. Thank you!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just tried shortening Peggy’s topknot with curved shears for the first time and WOW was it ever easier than using my clippers or straight scissorsIt’s far from polished—I’m a notoriously clumsy home groomer, which is why I generally rely on the pros—but the rough shape is there.

View attachment 487126
View attachment 487125
View attachment 487124

I also had to shorten her ears because one was matted. But you obviously don’t have to.
Peggy looks so great! It definitely seems like shears are the way to go.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
You can use clippers with a guide, and it will work - but it will be far too short. You will be disappointed.

I did this years ago once with my tpoo - as it grew back in it was a nice shaped top knot. With scissors you will get the length you want.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can use clippers with a guide, and it will work - but it will be far too short. You will be disappointed.

I did this years ago once with my tpoo - as it grew back in it was a nice shaped top knot. With scissors you will get the length you want.
Thanks! Scissors it is. How long did it take for your tpoo’s topknot to grow out? It seems like Reggie’s topknot takes months or minutes to grow out

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
How long did it take for your tpoo’s topknot to grow out?
It took at least a month or longer to grow long enough to be a nice top knot. I never did that again. It’s easier to use scissors and get what you want.

It might need some touch ups tomorrow, but I think it’s some good progress for today
Fabulous start. Use a comb or brush to fluff the topknot, then look at it from different angles and tweak areas you don’t like.

·
Registered
703 Posts
His topknot is adorable either way, such lovely curls. Makes me regret cutting my boy back so much but it grows back pretty fast.

I look forward to seeing the end results!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The most important thing is to always cut the hair over the eyes perpendicular to the muzzle - never angle it back toward the back of the head. I clip the face before doing anything to the topknot. Then I use straight shears to cut the sides of the topknot straight up from the cheeks and the front of the topknot perpendicular to the muzzle. Finally, I scissor the back of the topknot to blend in with the neck hair and use curved shears to reduce the height of the topknot to a pleasing length.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts