Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Our 10-year-old standard poodle has been experiencing very short seizures. They last about five seconds, then she seems fine. She can have several seizures a day, usually while she's just lying on the floor or on her bed.

She also is experiencing an issue where her back legs sometimes go out on her, and she collapses to the ground. That usually happens when we're putting her collar on her or when she's bending her head down to eat out of her bowl.

The vet has done a heart test and blood test on her, and all is fine.

We made a video of some of the episodes:

Thanks in advance to anybody who might have ideas.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
430 Posts
I really have no idea, just throwing an idea out there. Do you have an underground fence/collar system? If yes, maybe it's shocking her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really have no idea, just throwing an idea out there. Do you have an underground fence/collar system? If yes, maybe it's shocking her.
No, we don't have anything electric. It does look as if she's being "jolted." But there's nothing external that could be causing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. The rest of her behavior is normal. She moves a little slower than she did when she was younger, but she still eats normally, takes walks around the neighborhood, and doesn't drool or exhibit other symptoms.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
430 Posts
What flea & tick treatment do you use? I just saw talk of seizures in relation to the Seresto flea collar recall.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Tonka went over the bridge on account of his hindquarters became uncontrollable. Eventually he had no control at all. Couldn't stand up. His initial symptoms were identical to your girl. Minor glitches in mobility.
I'm gonna say that it's definitely not a seizure. They're not that short in duration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tonka went over the bridge on account of his hindquarters became uncontrollable. Eventually he had no control at all. Couldn't stand up. His initial symptoms were identical to your girl. Minor glitches in mobility.
I'm gonna say that it's definitely not a seizure. They're not that short in duration.
Our Laceypants just passed in Dec. at age 14. We made the decision based on the exact symptoms in "country boys" post. But it started the year before with what seemed like small electric shocks to her face. We didn't take her to a neurologist on account of her age.
We did assume it was something akin to seizure though.
Based on your dog being only 10, I'd seek a neurologist. Maybe she can get a script for something that can slow progression.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Yes to the neurologist if you like. But I would also recommend a veterinary chiropractor. If you don't have an office near you, they generally visit a local pet store on a monthly basis. Tell them what's happening, show them the video, and get their opinion. They've got some pretty talented fingers. Sometimes more sensitive than x-rays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We are still pursuing a diagnosis, but I understand it may be difficult to pinpoint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts