Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like long hair on ears (sorry!! I know it's not normal :biggrin:). I like the looks of the German trim ears. I won't do Vinnie's body that long - probably only 1/2 - 1 inch on the body with the topknot blended in, but I want to shave his ears shorter. Right now he has puppy fuzz and no real length, but I'll need to do them soon. Any thoughts on which blade to use? Right now his body is about 3/4 inch and his topknot is a little longer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did it and I will NEVER EVER do it again!!!! I hated it so much and 8 months later I am still waiting for her hair to grow. I may do it if I ever had a poodle with stringy ears but it is VERY unlikely. You may like it but just be prepared for it to grow back slowly!
Before

Right after I did it.

Now

Sorry if this is WAY too much info, just wanted to give you the scoop!

Also. I suggest using the same blade on the face as on the ears. In Lola's Case it was a thirty.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think German ears can look really cute on most dogs. Not sure which blade you should use( I always ending up just doing 'whatever looks right') but I can't wait to see the results!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agilestandard - I think the ears on your dog look nice short!

I don't think I would do the same on face and ears (not sure?) I was thinking a little longer - maybe 1/4"? Right now I use a Mini Arco on Vinnie's f/f/t, so about a 30 blade. I don't think I would want his ears that short. I'll have to experiment around with it and see what works :biggrin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perhaps a 3F blade then... I would try that and if you want it shorter go up a blade. So, if a 3F doesn't work then a 4F, 5F ... and so on and so forth. Are you going to take the Tail down at the same time? if so then you could balance the tail and ears.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I like the ears short or long - ON Teddy I like them a little shorter - he has this hair that never matts though! Ginger's ears look great long but they get so matted - I may have to thin them out a little - I hate that look on her though. Teddy's hair looks good anyway. lol

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I like them both ways. I think short ears can look masculine and even make some dogs look younger. I recently put my Maltese in a Schnauzer cut, w/ shaved ears and I love it! It's so much easier to take care of.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Well if you want the shaved look like on the german trim I would say a 10 blade?? Seems a shame to do that though so I'll vote for a #4 LoL. So long as you are sure you like it, ears do seem to take a while to grow back. I did Jazz's with a #15 blade a while back and they are still really short. They look shaved. Ironicly enough though were I to do that to a clients dog they would come back in 4 weeks with a ton of growth on them ROFL.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agilestandard - Vinnie has a complete tail, so it will always have hair - if it was docked, I would probably balace ears and tail, but I like his tail with about two inches of hair around it (other than the shaved area).

We'll see how it goes - I'm not overly anxious to shave them right now - they are puppy fuzz and not long. I'll try to remember to do a before/after shoot. I am going to bathe and shave f/f/t tonight, but will probably wait to do his body until next week.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I LOVE short ears, they are so much more convienient!

I either do a 10, 7 or a #1 comb over a 10 blade depending on coat length. one word of advice though, do not shave the ears naked the first time, the dog isnt used to it, will shake their head and can possibly get a hemotoma (sp)

on all my spoos that arent being shown, I do clippered ears

the picture is a little fuzzy, but you get the idea :sheep:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up doing a 5F on his ears. I borrowed the blade from a friend who has PWDs. So what is the difference between a 5F and a 5 blade? I borrowed both from my friend. I like the length - may go a little shorter next time (7F ?). I posted this photo in another thread, but this is the final result:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The F stands for finish, the 5F is a finishing blade intended to be used on clean coat for the finished look. So the grooming books say LoL. All of my blades are F blades unless I am very much mistaken and I use them for everything clean hair or not. Though I am lucky to have regular clients who come in often, I don't have to work with filthy hair all that often :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Wonderpup - I could see that there was a difference between the two but was not sure what the purpose was. I always bathe Vinnie before grooming him, so never use my grooming equipment on dirty hair.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
that will definitly make your stuff last longer and require fewer trips to the sharpener!! :) Awsome :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I love the length of the ears on my girl, Dodger. I'll probably keep hers trimmed and let Vegas grow out.

I have a few customers who come in and they get their standard poodles ears shaved off with a #5 blade.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts