Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article got me thinking... (while it wasn't a poodle baby)

What do breeders do to ensure that the puppies are warm/cool enough for flight? And also, what age do you send off puppies?

In the article, the poor babies being shipped were only SIX weeks old!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
AAaaaaahhhhhh : (((( HOW TRAGIC !!! : (((((((((((((((((((

I know that most airlines will NOT ship puppies when temperatures are too high or too low on he either shipping airport or the destination !!!! Even if the breeder wants to - which most would not even consider , I am sure !!!

I know that I can forget about any puppies now either from Canada or any "snowy states" in USA !!! No airline is accepting live animals at those starting points !!!!

Since those pups were shipped from Mexico - who knows what happened on the airport there :smow::smow::smow:

Just soo unbelievably sad : ((((

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
That's terrible! ;_;

There's breeders I'd really want to get a pup from someday, like Tinlet, but that's a cross country flight and I'd always been afraid of something happening. Could always drive, but.. I don't think my car would survive lol.

Those poor dogs. =/

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Fluffy !!!! You can bring a puppy with you in a cabin !!!! It just has to be 8 -10 weeks old to fit in that Sherpa beg !!! My friend brought a Bearded Collie to CA that way : ))) !!!!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Fluffy !!!! You can bring a puppy with you in a cabin !!!! It just has to be 8 -10 weeks old to fit in that Sherpa beg !!! My friend brought a Bearded Collie to CA that way : ))) !!!!
Thats what I was thinking. I got a puppy from Washington state that way. A friend of mine was going to be in the area and everyone agreed that it was ok to meet the breeder at the airport and take the puppy along in the cabin. We knew the breeder really well personally so I wasn't getting a pup from somebody I didn't know. The puppy was actually a gift from the breeder to me.

The only experiences I have ever had with shipping dogs in cargo have been negative ones so we just don't do it. We shipped a bitch to be bred once and it was a nightmare to get her back, nobody's fault - weather issue. The second and last time we shipped dogs we were traveling with them and going to the national specialty. That was the WORST experience EVER. They almost didn't make it to the show, ended up on the wrong plane, ended up sitting outside next to the right plane for almost an hour while my mother yelled at some poor airline person to get them in the shade, ended up lost when we arrived nobody could find them after the plane touched down, and then on the little puddle jumper that took us the last little bit they tried to refuse to allow them on because they had a five dog limit and two dogs were already on the flight. Excuse me?? Like you didn't think of that BEFORE when we bought the tickets?? It worked out in the end everyone got to the show and got home safely. It was awful though. Never again, in the cabin or in the car - no exceptions.

·
Registered
681 Posts
For Hawaii, you have few choices. Try and find a reputable breeder in the islands, which could mean a different island, or import from Australia. Otherwise, from the mainland, the puppies have to have 2 rabies shots before a year of age to be able to be released at the airport. Most airlines won't ship a puppy before 8 weeks, they prefer 12. There are pet shipping services, like Continental Pet Express, and I believe another service called Pet Air. When we have shipped our dog, it's always been when we were flying, so we took her on United, which also has a temp controlled cargo area, and get as few layovers as possible. For a pet to ship when it's under a certain temp 45 degrees, you have to get a letter from the vet saying such and such pet can withstand temps down to freezing. Past 32 degrees and they won't ship. Same as over 85. Anyway, I just can't imagine shipping a dog over 24 hours from Australia, it was bad enough 9 hours on the plane to Hawaii. I know Continental's Pet Express will walk your dog between flights if you give them a leash, but I wouldn't be able to do that for my dog, she is skittish of strangers. Shipping a pet is a risky business. If we ever have to ship our pets separately, I would use Continental over any other pet cargo service, my pets are worth the extra expense.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
In a cabin? o_o I don't know plane/travel lingo very well.. I've left Utah probably.. 6 times, and haven't even got out of the top square of the state itself lol..

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've never had any problems with either sending or receiving a puppy... some as far as Russia and the Czech Republic. Happy and bouncing out, just as my pups are when they arrive to their destination.
There are some airlines I like so will only use them though.
I prefer not to fly them... and most don't and will come pick up, but there are some. Maybe I've been very fortunate? (one leaves for Seatle tomorrow)

Fluffyspoo... cabin means inside where people are seated. If the pups is under 20lbs (or dog) it's pretty acceptable. I've read some have a limit of 15 lbs. There are some airlines that are not allowing it anymore though... due to allergies I'm sure.
A SP puppy needs to be under 10 weeks old to even think of this. The pup flying tomorrow is 16lbs... and he is 9 weeks old. Of course a thorough vet check first, which I do just a couple of days before a flight, not 10 days out as allowed.
Now flying an adult? No way, but that's just me.... unless of course it's for PCA.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Vinnie came to me at 11 weeks on a plane. I could not get the time to fly out and bring him back myself, so Karin shipped him. She has had a lot of experience shipping puppies all over the world. I never thought it was something I would do, but it worked out really well. We picked Vinnie up in cargo about 10 minutes after his flight landed and he was playing outside with me as soon as we completed the paperwork. It didn't seem to bother him one bit. I live in Iowa and Vinnie came from Oregon, but I had Karin send him to Chicago and I picked him up there so he had a direct flight and didn't have to worry about a plane change. I would definetely do this again with Karin.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
We have done both Most of our puppy folks come to pick them up (Our Preferred) But we have flown out and flown in We use only Delta Dash or Continental pet safe. Both are excellent and the pets are a priority they have cargo folks that the pets are all they do.... Donna from Vermont flew in took her boy Sully in a Sherpa bag on the plane with her . She flew Delta as they had the largest under seat storage..
As far as I know they have to be at least 8 weeks of age..In America anyway ...

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I would wonder how that happened. Our airline is adamant about not flying a puppy younger than eight weeks old. They have embargos for extremely hot or extremely cold temperatures. I have shipped pups coast to coast in Canada and the US and have been thrilled with the way they are handled, the way I am treated, the condition of the pups when they arrive at their destination. I do insist however that the pups go on direct flights only, with no connecting flights-period!! Way too much risk with that!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yep - I believe eight weeks is the minimum age to fly in the US.

Karin wanted to fly Vinnie a little bit older (she doesn't like flying really young puppies), but wanted to fly him before 12 weeks old - I guess the airlines require a rabies vaccine if they are 12 weeks and Karin doesn't like to do rabies until six months.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I do not insist on it, but it is amazing how many people opt to fly in and fly home with their baby in the cabin.

I have a puppy going to Germany, and it is amazing how rules can be bent if the new owner opts to do this. If we sent the puppy cargo, it could not go until it was nearly five months old. It would require its rabies shot at four months, then a blood draw to check the titer for rabies a few weeks later, then if the titer is high enough, it can be shipped. But because this lady wants to pick the puppy up, she can acquire a special permit from their Dept of Agriculture because the puppy will be with her and in her possession at all times, and she is allowed to take it back with her when it is eight weeks of age. I would imagine when it arrives in Germany it would then be under some type of "house arrest" quarantine until it has had its rabies shot there.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I shipped a puppy to Georgia at 13 weeks in cargo. Penny went home at 8 weeks on a plane but with her owner in the cabin. I think that is best.

However, flying in cargo or cabin is preferable to driving long distances. Most puppies get very car sick and a long road trip could seriously dehydrate them. Plus, when they have not had a full set of shots, every potting stop is a potential exposure to Parvo/Distemper.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Right-I had never considered about the potty stops being dangerous...they're dangerous even to people (Ugh:scared:) Our GSA and both minis were flown in from various parts of the country and all turned out fine...I think they were on Delta...

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
one more thing that just occured to me about the puppies age, and mind you things *may* be harder now but back when we got the pup from washington it became very obvious that it sooooo easy to get around airline regs.

Pia came to us not only with a made up health certificate (lol "show dog vet clinic" doesn't exist to my knowledge) and while her paperwork said she had rabies she was in fact not old enough to have had it. The airline required it though at the time so the breeder made up a rabies cert to go with the health. I was appalled of course, and it took more than a while to get over it and be friendly again with her. It was IMO a shameful thing to do, but there ya go, obviously people can and do do it.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Where I live, our airlines choices are SADLY lacking. We have Northwest (which is now Delta, I think), and United Airlines. We also have Alligiant Air which is all small planes that fly to Las Vegas and, like one or two other cities and that's it...

I called and talked to the Northwest people to see if I could bring Lucy home with me, in cabin, from Toronto to Bismarck and there was no way they'd allow it. She'd have to be in a crate basically the size of a shoe box to fit under the seat and there's no way an 8 week old standard poodle puppy would fit in a shoe box!!! I even asked if we could buy an extra seat and have her crate on the seat, but I suppose for safety reasons they couldn't allow that either...

The only places that there are direct flights to/from Bismarck are Minneapolis, Denver and Las Vegas. So even if we would've been able to squeeze Lucy in a shoe box, we would have had to change planes no less than twice in order to get home (Toronto to Detroit - change planes; Detroit to Minneapolis - change planes; Minneapolis to home)

Our airport has 3 gates, but I've only EVER seen them use one of the gates - we just don't have the population to attract better airlines so we're stuck with the [email protected] we have.

Our only good option at the time we got Lucy was to have Cherie ship her from Toronto to Winnipeg (short flight - direct all the way) and we drove from Bismarck to Winnipeg to pick her up and drive her back across the US/Canada border. If we would've had an extra 4 days to make the drive there (and if it wouldn't have been potential blizzard season) we would have driven to meet Cherie and the pups, but it wasn't feasible at the time... if (when) I'm ever in the market for another puppy and Cherie has a spring/summer litter; I'm pretty sure we'll make the trip!

Lucy arrived well and happy at the Air Canada Cargo office right on schedule. Even though this was late October, the weather was fine (my hubby took pictures and video of me taking Lucybug on her first outing after coming out of the crate so I can remember that I'm not even wearing a coat!)

Getting across the border was easy (although the border patrol did ask us to park the car and come inside the building while all the BP officers stood around a computer and asked us questions about the puppy - what breed is she? How old is she? Are you taking her across the border to sell her? Breed her?) Within no more than 5 minutes we were back on our way home.

Cherie and I had each other's cell phone numbers so we could contact each other in case of change of plans or emergency. I called her the minute I had Lucy in my arms to let her know she made it safe and sound (actually, the video hubby took has my 1/2 of the conversation on it!) :)

I haven't read the original article in this thread (and I'm sure I'll be sorry I read it after I do) but my one and only experience with shipping was absolutely fine (BEST way to go? maybe not... but for us it was our best option at the time and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I couldn't pick up the pup in person; as long as the weather was good and the flight was direct!)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have a puppy going to Germany, and it is amazing how rules can be bent if the new owner opts to do this. If we sent the puppy cargo, it could not go until it was nearly five months old. It would require its rabies shot at four months, then a blood draw to check the titer for rabies a few weeks later, then if the titer is high enough, it can be shipped. But because this lady wants to pick the puppy up, she can acquire a special permit from their Dept of Agriculture because the puppy will be with her and in her possession at all times, and she is allowed to take it back with her when it is eight weeks of age. I would imagine when it arrives in Germany it would then be under some type of "house arrest" quarantine until it has had its rabies shot there.
Karin shipped a young dog to Finland last year and I remember it had to be almost five months old. It handled the trip really well also. Her mother comes over from Germany and will often fly back with a young puppy - I think she was taking one of Vinnie's littermates back to Germany with her last year, so it was 11-12 weeks old.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes - absolutely - dogs and puppies and many other animals are air-shipped all the time and with no problems what so ever !

Occasionally- an accident is bound to happen - but nobody can live in constant fear of those : (. Than we wont leave our home ever ourselves :rolffleyes:

It is more comfortable for a puppy to be in the cabin under the seat than in cargo - but if that is not an option - thousands of puppies travel in cargo part that is reserved for live animals and is pressurized and separate from other cargo part of the plane. Great majority gets to the destination without any problem whatsoever : )))

Yes - limit for cabin is like 15 -20 libs - but nobody really weights a puppy at the airport LOL And you would be surprised how nicely that size pup snuggles in the Sherpa beg !!! My friends Beirdy was as happy as a clam whole flight - not a peep she said : ))) and my Husky friend got one pup in cargo with no problems at all : )) !

One just have to deal with reputable and good Airline who does transport live animals on regular bases .

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, if you use Continental airlines, you are ensured a controlled climate for the pet you are shipping. You can ship them year round and they will have a/c or heat but you pay a little more for it.

I think many people have a hard time finding people in their area so they look outside their area for breedings that are taking place. I got Mia from outside of my area and I'm glad I did because the situation I got into IN my area was not good.:rolffleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts