Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Shilo is here!!! He completed his 10-hour flight from Auckland, NZ to Taipei, Taiwan on Thursday, 11/29, and landed as if nothing happened! We couldn't be happier with this gorgeous 9-month-old Silver Beige Moyen (born 3/10/2018, currently 16 inches tall and 18 lbs) - gentle, loves everyone, spectacularly athletic. And, Vontae (our current mini) seems to be accepting him just fine; he growls at Shilo when Shilo gets too close to his face or food, but other than that, they're very relaxed around each other inside and outside the house. My plan is to take it easy on formal training and just focus on bonding with him until January, when my workload lightens up and I have time to engage in more formal training. All his basic manners are already there - no chewing, no biting, and fully housebroken - so there's nothing urgent to do.

Here are a few photos of Shilo with his new family.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Wow they are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the photos. Your training plan is a good one. Hope you have lots of fun poodle stories to share.

Edit: for guarding resources. What you can do is feed out of your hand and play tug of war. Rope toys are my dogs favorite toys bc it was the first thing I’ve introduced to them. This was intentional on my part because I’ve always intended for them to share toys and food. The first game they’ve learned was tug of war. It has worked really well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Congrats Kevin. I am glad the trip went smoothly and that everyone seems to be settling into the new life in good order.

Reactions: kchen95

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow they are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the photos. Your training plan is a good one. Hope you have lots of fun poodle stories to share.

Edit: for guarding resources. What you can do is feed out of your hand and play tug of war. Rope toys are my dogs favorite toys bc it was the first thing I’ve introduced to them. This was intentional on my part because I’ve always intended for them to share toys and food. The first game they’ve learned was tug of war. It has worked really well for us.

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually am feeding both of them partly out of my hand now - because I want to make sure Shilo eats a bit extra to recover from the long trip and be as robust as possible in making this life transition, and by default, I do the same to Vontae because I don't want him to feel left out. But I'm curious - how does feeding out of hand lessen resource guarding? Do you mean feeding by hand separately from each other, or with them side by side next to each other?

Thanks again!

Kevin

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I feed all 3 out of my hand together, and they know whose turn it is. I have always kept a pecking order and feed the newest one last. I also do the same with anything else, getting dressed to go by by, getting picked up and put in bed. Mine are all females and have never hand a problem, in fact a total of 8 females, and never had a problem. Plus if I put food on the floor, put it down in order and they do not touch each others pile and the piles are about 6 to 10 inches apart. I do use each name a I am working with that particular dog

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I feed all 3 out of my hand together, and they know whose turn it is. I have always kept a pecking order and feed the newest one last. I also do the same with anything else, getting dressed to go by by, getting picked up and put in bed. Mine are all females and have never hand a problem, in fact a total of 8 females, and never had a problem. Plus if I put food on the floor, put it down in order and they do not touch each others pile and the piles are about 6 to 10 inches apart. I do use each name a I am working with that particular dog

This is a good method.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Wonderful addition to your beautiful family.

Reactions: kchen95

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all! Definitely excited about the potential of what Shilo will grow into. He's already retrieving toys, so i'm optimistic that he will become a frisbee catcher like Vontae. And, apparently he did grow up wading in water (but not fully swimming), so hopefully when the heat of Taipei summer hits, he'll take to swimming with Vontae with gusto.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Beautiful dogs. I am so glad his flight went well. It seems he is fitting right in and that is a plus too. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad Shilo arrived safely and is enjoying his new home. What a coat that boy has!
Haha I assume you mean Vontae's coat, not Shilo's? :) Vontae's the darker dog; he's got the longer coat now, as Shilo was shaved down for his travel - but yes, Shilo does have a great coat as well when grown :)

Kevin

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Kevin, I am so happy for you. Congratulations! I remember when you first started looking for a second poodle, with lots of ups and downs with some of the options you were considering. Sounds like you landed in just the right place. Shilo looks terrific, and I am glad to hear that he is already fitting in. Best wishes to you and your human and canine family!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Oh Kevin! He is just beautiful, and his disposition sounds wonderful! Will he be bilingual? LOL!!!! Have fun!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts