Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could provide me some insight. I was looking to get a new dog and I found a very cute poodle mix at a rescue. His hair is curly and it's fairly long but after spending some time with him I was covered in dog hair. It didn't seem to make sense because his hair was so long how he could be shedding so much.. I feel like they contradicted each other. My current dog doesn't really shed and I would like to stick to a low shedding dog. Can anyone provide any insight on whether it could be because hes in a shelter, has some mats and hasnt it been groomed in a while? Is that normal? I want to believe that if I got him groomed he would be a low shedding dog but I don't wanna be naive that he may continue to be a high shedding dog. I have attached his picture below. I would love any insight!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
What a precious little dog! Looks like a poodle/terrier mix. He's probably shedding more than he would after a good grooming, but if you must have a non-shedding dog, I would pass because I'll bet that coat will shed (minimally).

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Very cute little dog! I agree with zooeysmom on the shedding possibilities with him though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
His appearance and expression say more Sheepdog to me than Poodle. Sheepdogs are insane shedders - think tumbleweeds in the house. It is one of the features I really appreciate about the poodle after having Pointers and Dalmatians. I am not very picky but just now taking the winter coats out of the closet I am shocked how covered they are in hair - even after the dogs are long gone (and after a good dry cleaning...)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
What a sweetheart :)!

Don't discount the effects of stress and sub-optimal diet on coat retention if he seems a good match and you can spend time with him without allergic reactions. I've read of shelter dogs having massive sheds initially, but not thereafter. Sorry I cannot point you to specific links, but maybe this gives you some additional search terms.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Cute dog ! Stress will make dog shed more, but will not make a non-shedding dog shed. I think this dog will shed less once away from the shelter, but he will still shed.

Maybe find one more suitable for you if you don’t wish to have hair on you and in your house.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If you are wanting a no shedding dog or a low shedding dog I would pass. It will make you miserable if it’s a big deal to you. I found out the same way when I took in a lab after having no shedding dogs. There was hair everywhere and in our food, on the walls. The main reason for not keeping the lab was because of not trusting her with my farm animals and getting worried that she would get out and attack my horse (very sweet dog but really aggressive towards other animals) but the hair was a close second. It really really bothered me to see hair stuck to my walls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts