Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I will definitely need some new shears. The ones I have a super cheap (as in "probably came with a $30 human clipper set from Walmart" cheap), and I can barely trim Leo's feet with them. I don't want to even think about what they would do to Poodle hair.

What are good options in the (preferably) $50 to $75 range?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Kenchii has some lines in that range. I think the Loves or Scorpions. I use my curves for almost everything and then just straights occasionally. I have a pair of kenchii five star curves and then a cheaper pair of straights. One day I'll upgrade the straight but it doesn't seem super important right now. Geib gators are another popular entry level line. I think Sensei has an entry level line that is around that price as well.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I don't think good scissors come in the $50 to $75 range. Mine generally run about $200.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have a set of Kenchi Show Gear shears. At the low end of your desired price range (especially since I bought them on sale!) but I am quite pleased with them. I bought them with the idea of upgrading later once I knew what I liked and have had no desire to change. The thinners are pretty useless though (even on the yorkie I bought them for - I don't think thinners are good for poodle coats). My mother has cheap Q brand (Rens pets store brand I believe) shears in the same price range that I dislike. They are heavier and feel stiffer and aren't as sharp.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think good scissors come in the $50 to $75 range. Mine generally run about $200.
Upgrading is always a future option. Right now, I just need "good enough". I'm not planning on showing, and about the fanciest clip I will be attempting is a Dutch. Probably the only other use will be tidying up some very floofy GSD feet.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks for asking this! I am also looking for a bit of an upgrade from my "came with the $30 clipper" scissors, I don't scissor much since I am no good at it (although I will probably use them on my husband as well lol).
@For Want of Poodle , where did you buy your Kenchiis from?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thanks for asking this! I am also looking for a bit of an upgrade from my "came with the $30 clipper" scissors, I don't scissor much since I am no good at it (although I will probably use them on my husband as well lol).
I strongly recommend getting kenchiis from kenchii themselves! I ordered some from Amazon and will never do it again. They arrived already needing maintenance and looked like they had been on a shelf for ages. Returned them and got a fresh pair from kenchii that was perfect.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
484 Posts
I strongly recommend getting kenchiis from kenchii themselves! I ordered some from Amazon and will never do it again. They arrived already needing maintenance and looked like they had been on a shelf for ages. Returned them and got a fresh pair from kenchii that was perfect.
What kind(s) of scissors do you use most?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Ren's Pets like pretty much all the other dog things I own. They seem to have one kind of shear on sale every month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts