Poodle Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used to live in northern Arizona and got a call from a friend to come over and see the cool bugs she found on the wall inside her house. She had them in a jar and thought they were really interesting because they looked like "rocks." They were engorged ticks. She had no idea. We checked her dogs and found them infested. Ugh! I had 3 dogs in show coat and ran home to go over them hair by hair. Luckily, nothing. I hate ticks!!!! I can't imagine having one attached to me! Shudder!!!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I used to live in northern Arizona and got a call from a friend to come over and see the cool bugs she found on the wall inside her house. She had them in a jar and thought they were really interesting because they looked like "rocks." They were engorged ticks. She had no idea. We checked her dogs and found them infested. Ugh! I had 3 dogs in show coat and ran home to go over them hair by hair. Luckily, nothing. I hate ticks!!!! I can't imagine having one attached to me! Shudder!!!!
Oh my god. You made me shudder with that one! That is absolutely horrifying. How could somebody not realize their dogs are infested with ticks????

·
Registered
88 Posts
This was at a school on the Navajo Reservation. The school provided our housing and we found out that the person who lived in the house before her picked up stray dogs and kept them for a few days before taking them to the shelter in town. Her whole house was infested, to the point that they were climbing up the walls. She actually had to move out for a week while they fumigated her house. Her dogs both had thick double coats so the ticks were pretty well hidden unless you carefully felt through their coats. She had no experience with ticks so didn't know what to look for. It was a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
This was at a school on the Navajo Reservation. The school provided our housing and we found out that the person who lived in the house before her picked up stray dogs and kept them for a few days before taking them to the shelter in town. Her whole house was infested, to the point that they were climbing up the walls. She actually had to move out for a week while they fumigated her house. Her dogs both had thick double coats so the ticks were pretty well hidden unless you carefully felt through their coats. She had no experience with ticks so didn't know what to look for. It was a nightmare.
Wow. That's terrifying. I'm glad you were able to help her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did
Went for a hike today and picked a tick off of one of the dogs, then started eyeing Annie's lovely mop of hair as a potential tick haven, thought about her lying on my bed, and remembered how little time I have had for brushing lately... and this was the result.

If anyone has ever wondered what a retriever clip/complete shavedown on a black standard poodle looks like (like I was), now you know! It's kinda fun to see what her ears and tail look like, under all that hair! It's a bit of a hack job, but she now looks like a gun dog.

View attachment 466460 View attachment 466461
the same for my Sophie. She mats up terribly and this cut is so easy to manage!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Chuckling about the COVID cut! Since I have no clippers my Spoo is actually looking more like a lion since I have been clipping around his eyes only :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My Spoo is eleven and has never had ticks (thank goodness), even though I do not use frontline or anything like it as it gives him seizures. We go to the woods all of the time. The rest of the dogs on the block have plenty of ticks. The only thing I can figure out is that he eats a raw diet (human grade meat, fruits and some veggies), including organic organs. I even have one or two ticks on me sometimes when we get home.

I hope that doesn't change this spring, as since this COVID-19 distancing, I am serving him one of his meals a day high quality kibble so that I do not have to get things from the store so much. Crossing my fingers. If he does get them I will have to make the effort to go back to totally raw.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts