Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a hike today and picked a tick off of one of the dogs, then started eyeing Annie's lovely mop of hair as a potential tick haven, thought about her lying on my bed, and remembered how little time I have had for brushing lately... and this was the result.

If anyone has ever wondered what a retriever clip/complete shavedown on a black standard poodle looks like (like I was), now you know! It's kinda fun to see what her ears and tail look like, under all that hair! It's a bit of a hack job, but she now looks like a gun dog.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I think she looks fabulous, very sporty.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get ready for confused looks followed by "what kind of dog is that?" :ROFLMAO:

But even when Misha got his shave down he got lots of compliments. A nice dog always looks good. Something about being nekkid makes poodles even more clown like as well.
Haha we get that question a lot. Even when she was in an HCC, people would ask if she was a Portugese water dog. When she was a puppy, I had someone confidently tell me that she must have some lab in her, as poodles aren't black :rolleyes:.

So far she seems to feel a bit naked, so no zoomies.

I swear she is vain and know what she looks like. She sulks if I stop the clip halfway through and wait a day before finishing, and prances and shows off when she is freshly in an HCC or a Miami, or when she is freshly brushed, and sulks when shaved down. I think she is beautiful though!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Liz, that’s so funny.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
31 Posts
She looks great! I just moved back to CT from AZ (snowbird) and my apricot mini, Karma, got a tick on day one. Luckily not attached - I started flea&tick before we got home. Next day I found one attached to my leg - yuck! Such is life near Lyme, CT (as in Lyme disease). So today, off came the hair! Karma has a nice summer clip. Luckily she is light colored, so at least I can see the little suckers. Years ago I had a beautiful black standard. She was groomed regularly and brushed out prob. every other day. One day in spring I had groomed her, given her a bath, and during the blowout on her topknot I found a dozen embedded ticks. I couldn't believe it!! We had been up to the lakes region of NH, not high enough altitude to have zero ticks, and lots of pines, so there were ticks everywhere. Needless to say, off came Lyra's topknot along with the rest of her coat so she looked like your Annie. I really hate ticks. One thing I loved about living in Arizona was the dry climate - basically no bugs. I am not thrilled about being back in New England. It's hard to look at the beautiful woods and stone walls and only see ticks. I won't go for a walk in the woods. Last year I did that with a friend up in Massachusetts, again early spring, and took prob. 15 ticks out of Karma's coat (no time to burrow and attach). Sorry to vent, but I feel your pain! Annie looks beautiful!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She looks great! I just moved back to CT from AZ (snowbird) and my apricot mini, Karma, got a tick on day one. Luckily not attached - I started flea&tick before we got home. Next day I found one attached to my leg - yuck! Such is life near Lyme, CT (as in Lyme disease). So today, off came the hair! Karma has a nice summer clip. Luckily she is light colored, so at least I can see the little suckers. Years ago I had a beautiful black standard. She was groomed regularly and brushed out prob. every other day. One day in spring I had groomed her, given her a bath, and during the blowout on her topknot I found a dozen embedded ticks. I couldn't believe it!! We had been up to the lakes region of NH, not high enough altitude to have zero ticks, and lots of pines, so there were ticks everywhere. Needless to say, off came Lyra's topknot along with the rest of her coat so she looked like your Annie. I really hate ticks. One thing I loved about living in Arizona was the dry climate - basically no bugs. I am not thrilled about being back in New England. It's hard to look at the beautiful woods and stone walls and only see ticks. I won't go for a walk in the woods. Last year I did that with a friend up in Massachusetts, again early spring, and took prob. 15 ticks out of Karma's coat (no time to burrow and attach). Sorry to vent, but I feel your pain! Annie looks beautiful!
I loathe ticks too, and that was exactly my fear with her banded topknot. Before I got Annie, I went camping with a friend and picked more than 20 embedded and unembedded ticks off, and picked one embedded tick off me. It's gotten so bad of late- last year I picked 3 dead or half dead ones off Annie (she is on flea meds). In my whole life, on all our other dogs combined, including those that ran through the woods all day, I saw 3 ticks.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
So it's not just down here that the ticks are bad? Mia picked up ticks all the time as a puppy, but as preventives improved, I haven't seen one on her in years. Just in the last few weeks I've picked 2 off of her and another 3 off of me -- including one that was attached to my shoulder blade. It left a giant welt (no bullseye). Yuck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts