Poodle Forum banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,651 Posts
Someone turned One Year Old yesterday!

And I have zero good pictures because every one is a blur. We spent the morning at the ball diamond for my son’s tournament. She got plllllllllenty of love from strangers. The park was so full and she’s never been so well behaved around so many folks.

Then Bennie went home for a nap while we watched the hottest games of the day.

She got a new yak cheese, a squirrels in the tree toy*, and a fox (which actually she hasn’t been given yet because she was so pleased with the squirrels).
*for the record my son says they look like chippies and my daughter said skunks 🤷‍♀️

View attachment 496237
Elroy says chippie as well! Elroy still plays with his (day 1) "tree". The chippies, not so much! Happy Birthday B-B-B-Benny! (sorry, but your title made me do it!)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Happy birthday Bennie!

• Love
Reactions: BennieJets

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Dear PF Friends

I am on a trip with my family. I think it’s for my birthday the other day, but one of my kids has a birthday tomorrow too, and today is my human uncle’s birthday, so I’m celebrating it all with them. Today I wore a big puffy yellow thing that mum said I had to wear. And then I got into some sort of contraption on the water. I liked it a lot but I don’t understand why every time I stood up, mum said “Bennie sit!” And every time I turned around to give a kiss, mum said “Ah ah ah ah! Sit!” She normally loves my kisses! It was also so strange that she didn’t take my navigating cues.

It was fun on the water, until I realized my other people were in other contraptions and I wanted to see them too!

*Bennie rode in a kayak with me today. I thought FOR SURE we’d end up in the river. Bennie was amazing up river. But when we hit the half way point she was anxious about everyone else either being ahead of us. I turned us around to head back and then she was upset that we were leaving them behind 😝 It was such self control on her part, I’m sure. She snoozed the whole way back to our cabin after.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
It’s been another day of novel adventures. And I’m really proud of my mum. We went to an outdoor market, where there was a lot of dogs. At first mum was pretty uptight about how I’d be because I’m still learning not to pull when we walk. And I LOVE other dogs. Thankfully we met a lot of people who wanted to talk to me, and their dogs were all very nice. Mum learned she can relax a little bit because when she does, I do too.

THEN maybe one of the best parts happened!!! We came upon a small fenced off leash dog park! I’ve NEVER been allowed in one of those because back home it’s always the naughty doggies that play there. Mum says it’s actually more that the owners don’t pay enough attention and that combined with her uptightness makes for a bad combination. so at THIS dog park, it was a bunch of older ladies and their nice puppies. One was VERRRY big and one was VERRRY small but they played very nicely together and the ladies seemed welcoming so mum said we could try it out. I had A BLAST. The other dogs were right around my age and loved how fast I ran! We left rather abruptly but mum said she was proud of how well I came when called. So I got lots of treats for that. Then I sat at the park and watched my kids play.

I wonder what we’ll get up to next!!!

* We left when a large male dog showed up off leash and would not listen at all to his person. Said person seemed intoxicated. And then a bit of a scuffle broke out just as I was calling Ben away. She wasn’t involved and listened so beautifully. I was sad the adventure ended when it did but it was great while it lasted.

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal

Plant People in nature Nature Tree Land lot

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Sounds like a great time for both of you!
It’s been a great time!! When we got Bennie last fall I thought it would be a long while before we’d be enjoying adventures like this. Puppyhood, adolescence... I figured that would put a damper on things. But it’s been so great and Bennie has been great at adapting.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Another new adventure today. Home from our trip and inspired to check out the local dog park, we headed over with some healthy skepticism. Totally prepared to bail or not stay at all if need be.

It is HUGE and was empty when we arrived. Shortly after two other dogs showed up but used an entrance at the other end of the park. B didn’t even notice them. If she did, I couldn’t tell and she didn’t care. We played fetch, worked on some tricks and obedience. She preferred to stay close and interact with me which was totally thrilling for me.

Cloud Sky Dog Plant Tree

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant

Dog Sky Dog breed Carnivore Water dog

Sky Dog Cloud Plant Tree

Cloud Sky Dog Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Plant Water dog Mammal Dog breed

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Annnnnnnd we have our first heat beginning. Totally threw me for a loop!!!

I hadn’t noticed any changes, no swelling or behaviour changes. But just now my partner asked what the red blotch was on the ottoman. We sniffed it, puzzled. I checked Ben over and sure enough she had some on her vulva. Oy. Talk about totally taken aback!

I’m glad we got a good romp at the park in and two walks already. Let’s see how this ride unfolds!!

Dog Dog breed Water dog Carnivore Companion dog

Dog Vertebrate Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That just shows how different they all are! Phoebe not only had swollen nipples for forever before she started bleeding, she was also super dog reactive, and could never have gone to the park nicely in the days leading up to it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
That just shows how different they all are! Phoebe not only had swollen nipples for forever before she started bleeding, she was also super dog reactive, and could never have gone to the park nicely in the days leading up to it.
I NEVER would have guessed it was coming. We have never been around so many dogs at once in the last three days. One morning we were at an outdoor market, and everywhere I turned there was a dog. She certainly pulled and was a bit of a nut, but no more than usual. I had planned for two cycles but goodness I hope I have more of a head’s up next time!!! I don’t want any “oops” experiences. I’ll be calling the vet to discuss options and get their take on it all.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts