Poodle Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Ooooh! Scary new thing! It might be an alien trying to abduct you. Run away! Run! Whew, we got away. Can we go one step closer? Step, look. Oooh, scary, run away! Can we go two steps closer to the scary thing? Scary! Run away! Three steps closer? Scary! Look out for aliens! Run away! (not as far away). Approach, retreat, approach, retreat, laugh and laugh and play the alien abduction game.

Why does this work? It establishes you as a safety anchor. You will not force the dog to do something frightening. Dog thinks you're trustworthy. You create a pattern for the dog to follow: approach/retreat. You expose the dog to the new thing as a fun game. And, you're using R- which is removing something the dog does not like to increase behavior. You increase the value of approaching by pairing it with a retreat. The dog learns that during each approach aliens do not actually abduct it. Approaching becomes safe. And the feared thing isn't as scary after all.

Pressure on (approach!) Pressure off (retreat!) and your playful nature will help make everything ok. Well done!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Someone got a lovely trail walk before the rain came... She was also such a great sport when I sat to write a three hour midterm today. For the first time, she went into her crate during the day unprovoked. She will willingly go in for enforced naps or at night. But this just chilling in with the door open was a first.

Vertebrate Carnivore Mammal Grey Comfort

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Someone is vewwwwwy vewwwwwy ty-ud right now.
After:
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar
Before:
Water Dog Carnivore Dog breed Beach

Water Bird Beak Beach Road surface

Water Sky Wood Tree Beach

We are going out tonight and leaving Bennie home. So after dropping the kids off at their digs for the afternoon and evening, we dropped by the dog beach for a romp.

Bennie made a new friend and I was grateful that said friend and friend’s owners were so chill. I recognize I’m still very uptight about her recall. I realize it’s a life-or-death skill, but adolescence makes for some interesting situations. We were alone on the beach and typically Bennie would recall just fine in that situation. Heck I even recalled her with people around last time. But this time, said dog showed up and B was off like a rocket. The dog’s humans were so gracious, totally appreciating the puppy energy. Unfortunately I think Ben’s behaviours were rewarded 😬. I eventually got her back to me, had her settle and give me some attention, then let her go play again. When it was time to go she listened much better. Phew.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,251 Posts
Someone got a lovely trail walk before the rain came... She was also such a great sport when I sat to write a three hour midterm today. For the first time, she went into her crate during the day unprovoked. She will willingly go in for enforced naps or at night. But this just chilling in with the door open was a first.

View attachment 495078
Elroy does that now too!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Today marks another year since my mum passed on. (It’s been many years. I was a kid at the time).

Never the less it’s always a strange day. I have somatic experiences leading up to it, not ever realizing the connection until the day is upon me. This morning I sat on my porch, rocking in a wicker chair. Bennie was with me, laying on her mat. I said, rather quietly, “Today is always a hard day, Ben,” probably letting her know as it’s her first time to experience a July 23 (ever or with me).

She promptly stood. Put her paws up in my lap. Peered into my face. And then climbed up into my lap and leaned her body against me. She stayed like this for at least twenty minutes while I closed my eyes and just let the tears come. She’s NEVER crawled into my lap in this chair. (I should note that Bennie is most definitely not a toy poodle. Or even a mini. 🙊)

·
Premium Member
5,680 Posts
Ah - nothing beats a standard lap dog. This anniversary is bittersweet to you I am sure. My mom passed in July too. Now have been without her for 6 years. Still I talk to her and am sure that she is listening. Sending you ((((HUGS))))

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Someone woke up on the sassy side of the crate today.
SO much pulling on her morning walk.
Demand barking much of the afternoon.
Sock theft and jumping up, more than the usual.
And just now, after I didn’t respond to a nose boop, I looked over to see her sitting rather regally in my partner’s spot on the couch. Which she KNOWS is forbidden.

It’s a real adolescent day 😏

Dog Toy Black Wood Mammal

Dog Water dog Pet supply Working animal Wood

(This post’s for you, @MiniMojo 😉)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Awwwww cuteness overload! Sometimes you just have a sassy day! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: BennieJets

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Dear Poodle Forum Friends;

Some days, I get my mom. Some days, she confuses me. I’m told a lot to “let them be” when I growl at squirrels in the backyard. I like to stand at the patio door on guard— it’s important, sometimes there are weird creatures that prowl through! Mom says they are “cats.” When they show up and I bark, she thanks me and shoos them away!

Last night, a BIRD GOT IN THE HOUSE and I STILL wasn’t allowed to chase it!!! Mom put me in my crate (at least I got a treat) and dad got the bird out.

So let me get this straight: I can bark at the cats, I can’t bark or chase squirrels, and when a stranger flies INTO THE HOUSE, I still can’t do anything?! Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

Growing up and learning is HARD work.

love Bennie

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
We are test driving some “outfits” for when B goes into heat. No sign of it yet but I am following the recommendations to test what we may use before needed. She thinks I am a total weirdo right now. But she’s eating a chew with these boy undies on, so I guess these are a yeah? We’ll put a little liner or pad in them when the time comes.
I got this idea from here on PF. An old post by Arreau.

Human body Wood Flooring Floor Laminate flooring

Dog Water dog Mammal Floor Flooring

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Someone turned One Year Old yesterday!

And I have zero good pictures because every one is a blur. We spent the morning at the ball diamond for my son’s tournament. She got plllllllllenty of love from strangers. The park was so full and she’s never been so well behaved around so many folks.

Then Bennie went home for a nap while we watched the hottest games of the day.

She got a new yak cheese, a squirrels in the tree toy*, and a fox (which actually she hasn’t been given yet because she was so pleased with the squirrels).
*for the record my son says they look like chippies and my daughter said skunks 🤷‍♀️

Vertebrate Dog Felidae Carnivore Dog breed

81 - 100 of 111 Posts