Poodle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I gave Bennie the shortest haircut she’s had yet.
She is cute. But this look is... not. 😂
I give the maddest props to pro groomers because I haven’t the faintest clue what I am doing!

I know it works better when the hair is straightened. But I can’t be bothered to buy a dryer. It’s just not a priority. Besides that I am so busy right now 🥴

Her legs in particular look pretty awful and uneven.

But! It’ll grow back. It helps with the summer heat. And it helps with coat change. So. I’ll embrace. And keep learning.

Pictures to come when I can gather the strength 🤣

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
She looks great! Once you get over the initial shock, I think you will like it. Poodles do have pencil thin legs and tails!

• Love
Reactions: BennieJets and Liz

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
She looks really good! It's hard to get perfect but once it starts to grow out a bit you can't tell. Bennie's ready for summer!
She looks really good! It's hard to get perfect but once it starts to grow out a bit you can't tell. Bennie's ready for summer!
I sure am glad we took the plunge! 🥵 Bennie is too.
My home groom approach as been a) accept you're an amateur and it will look as such and b) it grows SO fast so, as you said, it all evens out more or less eventually.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
She looks great! Once you get over the initial shock, I think you will like it. Poodles do have pencil thin legs and tails!
I'm finding the scrawny-ness pretty endearing now, actually. She's never been a big dog... the vet has continually said they'd like to see her gain a bit of weight. But she's happy and active and it is what it is, you know? She had a vet appt yesterday actually and they were digging her new summer look. That said, I still think I'll leave the legs a wee bit longer next time. But man is it ever a sweet cut for maintenance!!! I am loving that part of it!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
@PeggyTheParti it happened!
Here is Bennie enjoying her cookie for bringing a sock and dropping it at my feet 😂 I had to find my phone— I put it across the room while doing my school work— so it’s not a smooth in the moment picture. I can’t even describe the delight in my voice as I said “oh thank you!” to her.

Dog Water dog Comfort Sleeve Gesture

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass

Bennie is enjoying more and more off leash time in the yard with me. We love spending time training with play. Today we went to a big green space down the road for her to let ‘er rip. I’d been nervous and wondered if a long line would be necessary. It wasn’t.

This is from this evening in our backyard. Obviously NOT a green space 😂

Oh! And she spent a few hours crated today so we could go go karting for Father’s Day, and she did so well!

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

Dog Water dog Carnivore Companion dog Dog breed

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I’m just so grateful for this girl.
I’ve been exhausted and tired, pulling all-nighters and a student by night, and mom to the kids by day. We still walk and play but I’m a bit of a shell.

She is adapting marvellously. Comes and chills with me on the porch when I do my work. Sweet thing.

Hard to believe that her birthday is next month already!

Wood Glove Automotive tire Flooring Fish

Dog Plant Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

Dog Plant Water dog Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Bennie had such a fantastic day today. We hit up a dog beach near my in-law’s and B had her first official romp in the water.

Because we live near so many beaches— some as close by as a fifteen minute drive— she’s very accustomed to off-season running in the sand. But since summer arrived, I’ve been hesitant to take her given the crowds and still working on her excitability.

I’m celebrating today though because not only was it so fun to watch her run and play in the water, but she was excellent off leash. She approached others to say “hi” without jumping up (we are endlessly working on this and not once did she attempt it!) She was excellent with another dog that was there. Her recall was pretty darn good too! This gives me so much to look forward to and I feel really motivated to keep training.

I don’t have any pictures because the park was busy, (picture here is from on the way to the park/beach). I was very much on a swivel scanning the environment, keeping an eye on my kids, and of course B.

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog

·
Premium Member
5,680 Posts
Chose this thread to read to lift me from my bedridden blahs and so glad I did. Pictures of Bennie so cute -made me smile. Thanks Bennie

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
A second post today to celebrate a successful loose leash walk. When the kids were in school, many mornings Bennie and I would hit up a local trail for a 45 min walk. I treasured that time in nature and I’d let Bennie noodle about on a long lead, of course practicing coming close and sitting when bikes or walkers passed. This is how we began to extinguish her automatic jumping at ANYone for attention.
But now that the kids are home for the summer and sleeping in, I can’t just load her into the van and go, so we’re resorting to exploring the neighbourhood instead. It’s more practical if the kids wake and call me because I’m needed.

You can imagine the loose leash walking means Ben has to concentrate more on leash manners and not pulling. Just the same she’s all smiles and raring to go every time we head out. Our biggest struggle is squirrels and their seeming taunting. We play LAT and for the most part B is really getting the hang of it. There’s a bit of wriggling and whining but I can keep her under threshold enough that it doesn’t ruin the walk. This morning we spotted a bunny! And GUESS WHO PLOPPED INTO AN AUTO SIT AND LOOKED AT ME FOR TREATS?!?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
And another win for today. This girl is on a roll. (I won’t count my chickens that this is to be expected always. We are in adolescence still 😜). I took Ben to Canadian Tire with me today. I needed some potting soil and figured if it was too much for her, we’d bail and I’d get the soil another day. First and foremost I wanted it to be a good experience for her.

She. Blew. My. Mind. Zero jumping. No barking. She walked next to me on a loose leash and was calm as can be. We had a mild incident with the big bad scary carts, but I had my treat pouch with me so we played and pretended to escape the cart and then re-approach it with lots of treats. I think I owe this idea to @Click-N-Treat as I recall her playing a game when her girl was afraid of a balloon.

A couple of employees were very happy to meet her and she was so polite. “Please bring her back again!” I think I just may. So happy when she can be integrated into my life.

Dog Water dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply

61 - 80 of 111 Posts