Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
It’s good to go ahead and get them and get her used to wearing something, too.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Bennie is such a cutie! The advice that has helped me the most over the years is “no is a complete sentence.” You do not owe anybody an explanation. “Can I pet your dog?” “No.” <— that’s usually the full interaction. Am I labeled as standoffish by a complete stranger? Maybe. Does it matter?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Honestly, she probably just pogoed right over it. Phoebe could certainly clear a 4 foot fence, effortlessly. Her bottoms are made out of springs, after all. 😂

• Love
Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Jumping out of a pen on a flat surface and jumping a gate onto a staircase or landing are pretty different. If you haven't tried a gate for the stairs, it might be worth a shot. We have a gate blocking the upstairs staircase (it's on the first landing, so its elevated 2 steps from the main floor), and for the basement stairs we just have a low wooden board (about a foot wide) that leans against the entryway. Oona won't jump that even though she easily could, because on the other side are 4 descending steps to a short landing. I don't know the layout of your place so maybe this is all meaningless but I thought I would share. Maybe you can make the location of the gate(s) unappealing to jump over or maybe the stairs do that naturally.
I was thinking the same, she might not jump over onto stairs, especially if she is not used to going upstairs. At first I thought the same, why not just leave her out? But it sounds like she has some pretty bad anxiety. You don’t want her going through a window if she is really wound up and trying to get to you. Or hurting herself (or your house) digging out or tearing up walls/doors. If she’s better in her crate, I would leave her in her crate. 🤷‍♀️ Phoebe is penned for up to 7-8 hours (with breaks) every weekday. I did get a top for the pen, and it’s covered, so really it’s like a 4x4 crate, which works better with her need to sprawl than her 48” crate that she bangs around in. She chews and naps, much like she would be doing in downtime if she wasn’t penned.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
She looks great! Once you get over the initial shock, I think you will like it. Poodles do have pencil thin legs and tails!

• Love
Reactions: BennieJets and Liz

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Awwwww cuteness overload! Sometimes you just have a sassy day! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: BennieJets

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Happy birthday Bennie!

• Love

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That just shows how different they all are! Phoebe not only had swollen nipples for forever before she started bleeding, she was also super dog reactive, and could never have gone to the park nicely in the days leading up to it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I’m a little in disbelief that you made it a year without stepping on a foot. 😉 I do feel bad when I step on a dog foot, but they don’t feel bad when they step all over mine, now do they? 😂 Bennie is such a sweetheart.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That does sound like a fun day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts