Poodle Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Creams and apricots tend to have very delicate skin, I hope that the groomers here can give you some tips to prevent the clipper burn, but I just wanted to mention that there has been a lot of buzz about Angel Eyes soon being taken off the market because of the antibiotic that it contains. Have you tried Eye Envy? It is a hit and miss kind of product - works miracles for some, does nothing for others. Buy directly from them, a 2 oz bottle of the original formula that needs refrigeration, and two packs of pads should last you more than a month.
I had one of the dogs that it worked miracles for, Tangee, you can find her before and after pictures on their website.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there a reason they are more sensitive? How do they pull it off with show dogs being so closely shaven? Especially white being such a popular color?

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Is there a reason they are more sensitive? How do they pull it off with show dogs being so closely shaven? Especially white being such a popular color?

Well they are probably way better at clipping than we are, and I bet they just throw powder over it if they do burn them.
I am just self taught at grooming, but I used to give my apricot a little burn at least half the time that I did her, and never burned my blacks or silvers, and it was just me, doing the same thing with the same clippers, just got different results on different dogs.
I will be interested to hear what the pros have to say.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I think the darker colors just have tougher skin for some reason. My black has really durable thick skin, but my white had the thinnest most sensitive skin. My apricot and silver is kind of in the middle with the healthy skin she has. Some is tougher and thicker some is very very thin and sensitive. I never ever cut a dog when I was grooming, but Winter got nicked a few times because his skin was just so thin. I think the show dogs are just used to the close shave. They probably get their face shaved every week. I noticed that if I shaved their face every week I have very little issue if any with clipper burn. If I don't and go with a 40 right off the bat they will get clipper burn. To avoid that I will start with a lower blade like a 15 or 30 and graduate up to the 40. I think that is your best bet. Start off with a lower blade and graduate up to a higher blade. If you keep up with it you should have no issue with using a 30 or 40. Oh and FYI I never really used a 40 on my white poodles face just a 30. The only area I would use a 40 is to scoop out the eyes where his tear stains were and the feet. He never had any issues with a 40 in those areas. I never noticed that Angel Eyes got rid of my dog's tear stains, it just took the color out of them. He would still have just as much tears it just wouldn't be red. Keeping them wiped often and using witch hazel (specifically made for dogs eye area) was the best thing that worked for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the great advice you guys. The tears just appeared out of the blue when he turned about 10 months, right now hes 12 months would his tears be caused by teething? Or is he too old for that? Would the type of clippers also affect whether he gets clipper burn? I want to buy a Wahl bravura but i honestly don't know which clippers are any good. I'm using cheap dog clippers which are not very good

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Thanks for the great advice you guys. The tears just appeared out of the blue when he turned about 10 months, right now hes 12 months would his tears be caused by teething? Or is he too old for that? Would the type of clippers also affect whether he gets clipper burn? I want to buy a Wahl bravura but i honestly don't know which clippers are any good. I'm using cheap dog clippers which are not very good

The bravura is highly regarded by pet and show dog people.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Having a hard time using the iPhone all (thanking/ quoting Etc)

I dropped my bravura !! :( i don't know if it's permanently broken or if it can be fixed ...

Maybe y'all can see..? (Photos) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)
------------------------------------------------------

"The bravura is highly regarded by pet and show dog people"

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
This happened to me as well. I called Wahl and they sent out a free replacement. No hassle. I LOVE their customer service and will be a longterm customer now. It took about a week or two, if I recall correctly. I also purchased another blade from Amazon.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Thanks for the videos.

I have a questions about the eyes. Please explain exactly what you did. I think the rest of the face I am comfortable with but I am still unclear with how to do the eyes without any risk.

Thanks so much.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts