Poodle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thanks a million! Just received my clippers in the mail and watched your videos then attempted his face with a #10. Not a perfect job, but practice makes perfect, right? And no blood or Poodley screams!!! Russell sat still through the whole ordeal! Maybe try feet after his bath tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I just tried shaving Panda's feet. He was good for a long time because I gave him chews, but I took forever. Eventually the chews were gone and I figured I better not give him more or I'd upset his stomach. So his feet look terrible. Then I watched the foot shaving video at the top of this thread. Wow, Fluffyspoos goes so fast! I thought you had to be careful not to nick the webbing, so I was going SLOW and careful between the toes. But Fluffyspoos is digging in there with no fear, so how do you know you wont nick?

I was using a Bravura on the #10 setting, BTW. I know thats "pretty safe", but it is it nick-proof? Can I dig between the toes with no fear? Sorry Im so confused.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I just tried shaving Panda's feet. He was good for a long time because I gave him chews, but I took forever. Eventually the chews were gone and I figured I better not give him more or I'd upset his stomach. So his feet look terrible. Then I watched the foot shaving video at the top of this thread. Wow, Fluffyspoos goes so fast! I thought you had to be careful not to nick the webbing, so I was going SLOW and careful between the toes. But Fluffyspoos is digging in there with no fear, so how do you know you wont nick?

I was using a Bravura on the #10 setting, BTW. I know thats "pretty safe", but it is it nick-proof? Can I dig between the toes with no fear? Sorry Im so confused.
I really don't know if it's me or the clippers, but I tend to nick with those cordless clippers. I've nicked with the regular sized Bravura (on ears) and with the Wahl Arco today during the rescue poodle class. It was on a #40 and I still nicked. I have NEVER nicked with the BravMini, and that's on a #30. I haven't nicked with #40 blade on the Andis clippers. I really suggest you get the BravMini.

*I really think it has to do with how the teeth are on the blades. The BravMini are more rounded compared to the other clippers.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I love the undies! it made me giggle, especially cause she looks so regal, then u see those and its just funny and cute!
You are really talented!
And your dogs are beautiful! I love Vienna's tail!
Im thinking about letting Lou's tail get longer and longer, just not exactly sure how to style it, to go with the rest of her haircut

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi there. I started doing my toy poodles clipping when he was around 15 weeks, and he was a gem. But as he got older he got more ticklish. Now I am looking forward to being a poodle mom again, I want to try again with the clippers. Which one do you recommend. I have tried listening to you on the video but I can't quite catch the name as I am loosing my hearing occasionally. Can you tell me which clippers please ( I used a wall before and I think it was either my new to clippers fear or the clippers were rubbish. They kept clogging and pulling instead of clipping.) thanks in advance

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also would like to know what clippers you recommend in 2014? We took our poodle to the groomers 2 days ago and wrote down everything: "do not trim the top not, do not trim his face, leave his ears and tail, only trim his body and legs."
When we picked him up, it was a disaster. The groomer did not even know which dog was ours'. -?- They cut 2 inches off his top knot and the WORST: they SHAVED his UPPER and LOWER EYELIDS! They shaved all his eyelashes off and his "eyebrows!" They shaved his eyes and caused a swelling and gook was pouring out of his eyes. His left eye was shut. I took a lot of photos. This was not acceptable. The Veterinarian RX'd liquid eye antibiotics and oral antibiotics. Still, the upper and lower eyelids are bright red.

What groomer shaves a dog's upper and lower eyelids and "eyebrows?"; especially, after I wrote in English specifics, on a piece of paper, "DO NOT CUT his face, (or his top not.....).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also would like to know what clippers you recommend in 2014? We took our poodle to the groomers 2 days ago and wrote down everything: "do not trim the top not, do not trim his face, leave his ears and tail, only trim his body and legs."
When we picked him up, it was a disaster. The groomer did not even know which dog was ours'. -?- They cut 2 inches off his top knot and the WORST: they SHAVED his UPPER and LOWER EYELIDS! They shaved all his eyelashes off and his "eyebrows!" They shaved his eyes and caused a swelling and gook was pouring out of his eyes. His left eye was shut. I took a lot of photos. This was not acceptable. The Veterinarian RX'd liquid eye antibiotics and oral antibiotics. Still, the upper and lower eyelids are bright red.

What groomer shaves a dog's upper and lower eyelids and "eyebrows?"; especially, after I wrote in English specifics, on a piece of paper, "DO NOT CUT his face, (or his top not.....).
Aw poor baby, I hope you reported them for abuse. Bless xx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you Mrs D. This grooming incident brought me to your forum when I searched: "poodles and grooming eye lids."

I am very organized and write lists. I wrote everything down for the groomers. Frankly, I don't think they gave a darn.
I look at all of your beautiful poodles on this site with their long hair and they look so fancy.

We have taken wonderful care of our little guy. My poodle had a long top knot that I encouraged and groom him every day.

He was a senior rescue and owner mandated surrender. (So you know it was either surrender the dog or be charged with cruelty.). The intake papers said our poodle was "so severely matted and filthy... a mandatory 10 day hold was enacted.. upon the time of neutering, under anesthesia, he was clipped to remove all of the severe body mats."

So, after almost a year, I really felt good about myself and my little min Poodle that he had grown so much hair and personality.

Believe me, we are walking into that groomers tomorrow AM.

Here we are, regular people, write down on paper to a groomer-- "don't clip his face, top knot or ears; just trim his body and legs, and we take home a dog with eyelids shaved and infection? :at-wits-end:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fluffyspoos, I stumbled onto you're videos over a year ago and think your beasts are just darling. It's nice to see that your dogs go through an array of clips and colours lol! My poor D suffers through the same. Though she won't be alone for much longer!!!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
So grateful for Fluffyspoos videos

Yesterday I shaved Axel's face after his bath and blow dry and it was so uneven! He has practically "bald" spots in a few places (poor thing).

Later that day I came across her video saying she uses a 10 blade for most of the face! That's my problem.... Being an amateur using a 30!

Now I know better and hopefully he won't end up looking moth-eaten the next time I do his face haha! Poor puppy

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
So grateful for Fluffyspoos videos

Yesterday I shaved Axel's face after his bath and blow dry and it was so uneven! He has practically "bald" spots in a few places (poor thing).

Later that day I came across her video saying she uses a 10 blade for most of the face! That's my problem.... Being an amateur using a 30!

Now I know better and hopefully he won't end up looking moth-eaten the next time I do his face haha! Poor puppy
It might take a few days but the splotchy spots will fill in. The first time I used a 40 some areas looked like Racer had mange lol

Now I use a 30 for face & feet but a 10 for sanitary. His neck still looks splotchy from the 30 but it fills in quickly. I've learned that a 40 is not for me

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement Ann.
Glad to know he will stop looking so pathetic soon! In the past I have used the 30 on my adult dogs faces and don't remember having this problem.

I wonder if puppy hair is different ( he is 5 months old) or, if I have declined in my shaving skills?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
So moth-eaten! Poor Axel. Good thing he doesn't know how sad he looks (at least I hope he doesn't!)

Hopefully this will be his worst-ever hair cut!

Sad face:

[/URL][/IMG]

And his poor little sweetie-pie neck.....even worse than his face:

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Video's on utube

Hi
Just tried to watch your clips on grooming and when I click the play button all I can hear is your voice but can not see any thing else :-(

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lol! Noooo the horror!!! A dog with a clean face :rollsontheground: somebody save them!!
You know what would be abuse, the smell coming off the girls with fluffy faces and the raw meat they eat!
P.s. Love your videos your spoos are sooo cute. Especially the black one as a baby. It inspired me to teach 'kiss her'. My older one is not impressed...

·
Registered
18 Posts
How do you prevent clipper burn on when using anything shorter than a 10 blade. I've tried using a 30 but no luck and I won't dare use a 40. My cream mpoo gets bad tear stains but I've started using Angel eyes and i found it's working quite well. I'm barely on the first week but I've noticed the hair not as wet as before. I love a clean short face. I want to start triming the stains out but I don't want to nick him or give him clipper burn. Any tips?

61 - 80 of 93 Posts