Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Oh, also a note. My dogs tails are not tucked, both of them have low tail sets, especially when they're relaxed.

I learned this from horses when I was younger and it's become a habit. When I'm going to the back of the dog, I take my hands back along with me, and down each leg before I grab it. I like to think it makes them feel more comfortable knowing what I'm about to do? Rather than just grabbing the foot and going for it.

One more thing, before anyone asks. Vienna isn't in heat or anything, she's wearing the undies to curb her habit of licking herself. She's happily spayed :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
they are so well behaved about having their feet done. i'm so jealous.
temperance sucks. she wiggles her front feet so bad and i get so frustrated. i don't mean to be, but argh.

i think your videos are some of the best i've seen on poodle grooming basics.

and temperance keeps her tail low a lot too. she pops it up when she's really excited ... like if it's time to chase the cat or we're going on a walk.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I've always loved your training vids! I am in envy. Ours do OK but HATE it and they know when "it's time" LOL. The idea of sliding down the leg is a great tip!! Thanks Fluffy :D

You are a pro groomer (and a good one) and most of us are not. The only thing I might mention just for safety because it happened to me once. Is when changing legs it might be wise to turn the dremel off because just in a second the dog can turn or move and get caught up.

·
Registered
781 Posts
i'm so jealous. it takes me longer to one foot than it takes you to do one entire dog. jessie wiggles and pulls her foot away. i didn't start with her from when she was pup. i didn't know enough. that probably would've made it easier. i experience the same frustration that faerie goes through.

do you think it could ever get better or are they too smart to try to outsmart now??

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Olie, I'm ALWAYS turning my clippers off whenever I'm switching to something, or even looking at something, the only time they're on is when they're on the dog. Even with the safety switch I'm really fast about turning them no and off, it's second nature, but the dremel has an awkward switch that's not very convenient to turn on and off switching feet.

The day it gets caught in MY hair is probably the day I'll start turning it off between feet. Boyfriend was screwing around with it one day, dropped it, and it spun up into Vegas's tail. Vegas didn't even care.

·
Registered
695 Posts
These videos are AWESOME!

Do you have tips for when to start getting pups used to clippers/grooming? Also how often should you work with desensitizing a young pup to clippers etc?

I have two more video requests for you... Can you do a video of Cairo's feet getting done? I'd like to see the differences with a toy... Also can you do a video showing the proper way to "line brush" a poodle?

Thankyou for any tips and advice you have already given and might give in the future!

Rebecca

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
For puppies, just get them done soon and often. You can also put your phone on vibrate and have someone call you to use the vibration against their face and feet.

I'll see about having a video of Cairo's feet done. I've been doing him in my lap, last time he screeched once for his back feet because he can be a wuss sometimes, he was fine, but if he does it in a video someone's going to be yelling ABUSE! Ha.

And I don't know if my own method of line brushing is correct, you'd have to ask one of the show people here for that advice, sorry!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thankyou for your response, so would it be beneficial to even start as young as two weeks or would it be better to start at 6-8 weeks?

Rebecca

·
Registered
146 Posts
Fluffyspoos...Thank you, so so much, for these videos!

I had an in-person grooming lesson with a friend (who owns a sibling of my cream pup) a couple of months ago. After that, using my friend's recommendations, I ordered the equipment (table, clippers, scissors, etc). The supplies arrived...got set up in the basement...and then sat unused for a few more weeks, until I finally got up the courage to try them, today.

Your videos helped a great deal, serving as a visual reminder of what I had learned with my friend. I watched them before taking my pup downstairs to clean up her face. Once I started, it wasn't as nerve-wracking as I had feared. The worst part was stopping Teesha from trying to lick when I was working around her lips. The resulting trim is not perfect, but pretty darn good for the first try.

Again, many thanks for posting the videos, and thanks, to the moderators, for putting a sticky on them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks so much! These are great. Our breeder gave me a tutorial, which was a big help, but it's great to have these to refer to and remind me as I work on getting better at this. I'm impressed to see you grooming on the ground, too. I got a table and it's made all the difference for us - he knows what to do on the table and that we're not done until he's back on the floor. I wish I'd had a table with previous dogs just because things like nails and ears are SO much easier this way, but I love that your dogs are so good on the ground!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You make it look so easy! "Just pull the eyelid back and go across . . ." <shudder> I use a trimmer on my own beard, so I know it's safe and sane, but the very idea of running one across Beau's eyes, lips, tushie and belly gives me the willies. Guess I'm just a big baby, but so be it. More power to all of you brave groomers!
I thought you were never supposed to clipper towards the eye?

41 - 60 of 93 Posts