Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a few requests to post these videos, so I figured I may as well do it. I wanted to remake them with Vienna since she's easier to see, though she's not as good for it as Vegas, so when you watch her getting her face shaved and hear me scold her, it's because I'm kinda struggling to keep her still since she keeps trying to look at the neighbors dogs.

I'm also adding an old nail grinding video I did a couple years back of my parents dog, for those that would like some help there.

Not sure how helpful these will be, but just doing it since some wanted to see them.

(Oh, I'm wearing goggles in Vegas's videos because I had had Lasik surgery done just a few days prior and didn't want to risk getting hair in my eyes)

Faces
Vegas

Vienna

Feet

Sanitary/tail

Nail grinding

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You...are...the...best!!!

Can I have Vegas? :)

ETA: I just submitted a request to get this and the other thread (topknots/toothbrushing) a sticky so they're easy to find. :)
If I gave you my heart, how would I live? ;_;

Ha :) I'm happy you enjoy the vids so much! I hope they're still helpful! Next time I do a topknot I'll record that as well.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
You make it look so easy! "Just pull the eyelid back and go across . . ." <shudder> I use a trimmer on my own beard, so I know it's safe and sane, but the very idea of running one across Beau's eyes, lips, tushie and belly gives me the willies. Guess I'm just a big baby, but so be it. More power to all of you brave groomers!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You make it look so easy! "Just pull the eyelid back and go across . . ." <shudder> I use a trimmer on my own beard, so I know it's safe and sane, but the very idea of running one across Beau's eyes, lips, tushie and belly gives me the willies. Guess I'm just a big baby, but so be it. More power to all of you brave groomers!
I only trust a #10 blade for these places, it's not exceptionally short but it's safe. Though the trimmers that have very close teeth that you choose the length of the blade with the little lever are even more safe than the #10 I believe. I think the micro oster or something uses that method?

Also, it should be noted that when you shave beneath the eye, be sure to use your hand to lift the topknot and eyelashes.. or else you may accidentally shave those off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Fluffyspoos, I just have to say that I loved your videos. You do such a great job and both of them always look so good! Thank you for sharing. I want to buy some clippers and Rowan gave me some good suggestions. Casper is pretty good with me handling his face but he hates me clipping his nails and since he's got all his dew claws, it's a must to keep them trimmed. I'm thinking the grinder would be better.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Fluffyspoos, I just have to say that I loved your videos. You do such a great job and both of them always look so good! Thank you for sharing. I want to buy some clippers and Rowan gave me some good suggestions. Casper is pretty good with me handling his face but he hates me clipping his nails and since he's got all his dew claws, it's a must to keep them trimmed. I'm thinking the grinder would be better.
I love the nail grinder. :) It's the only nail trimming device I've used for years.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For dogs that don't care for the nail clipping process, you can always use the buddy system, where you have another person hold the dog in their arms. I've found a great way to hold them where their legs are sticking out below, while you have control of the head. This is a great way I've found to have other groomers hold my dogs that dislike their nails done where I can get it done quicker without having to muzzle the dog like I would if I did it alone.

I don't have a small dog, so I used my cat as a model. This also keeps the dogs from seeing what's going on, and seems to keep them calmer too. To get the inner back leg, simply flip the dog around to the other side.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
These videos are great. I hope they do make these stickys. I want to keep Swizzle neat between groomings and bought a Laube speed feed but I have been too chicken to use it. Your detailed and clear instructions are making me think maybe I could do this. I am going to get a Dremel. Swizzles nails are ink black so I am leary with other cutters. Your dogs are so good for you. Are there any tips you would like to share on how you work your magic? I was just going to start with the cutter near him but turned off and treats. Then on and treats. Then on and a little bit of cutting and treats. Does that sound like a good plan?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These videos are great. I hope they do make these stickys. I want to keep Swizzle neat between groomings and bought a Laube speed feed but I have been too chicken to use it. Your detailed and clear instructions are making me think maybe I could do this. I am going to get a Dremel. Swizzles nails are ink black so I am leary with other cutters. Your dogs are so good for you. Are there any tips you would like to share on how you work your magic? I was just going to start with the cutter near him but turned off and treats. Then on and treats. Then on and a little bit of cutting and treats. Does that sound like a good plan?
You can also put your phone on vibrate and have someone call you, and start petting him with it. The phone won't make the clipper sound, but you can use it to start getting him used to the vibration that way too.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thank you so much for these videos! They are invaluable, because it's so much easier to learn from watching you demonstrate, than it is from reading a book and trying to figure out what's what. Your spoos make GREAT subjects, too :) A big smooch to them is in order for being such helpful role models!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
These instructionals are so much better than the ones on youtube. I like the tip about pulling their lip back by sticking your finger in their mouth to get a closer shave. I'm just not sure Gigi will let me do that.

She's really good about letting me shave her face. Her feet and nails are another story. I just groomed her today, but she really fights me on doing her feet because she's so ticklish. How do you get dogs used to that?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I love the video, you do it so fast, it was easier to see how you did the shaving on the white poodle versus the black and they are so behaved, maybe you should open a training school.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Having watched this I now realise I am not very good at shaving Pandas face. I like how he looks when I do it but despite using a 10 blade I do actually leave the hair quite long as I find he looks hacked at otherwise....but if I did it properly so all the hair was short maybe he wouldnt look so bad....

This is what I mean by hacked at, he has areas which are bald and areas with hair.

Now I guess I just dont get so close a finnish so he has very short hair on his face so he cant look bald and hacked at lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
hmm, I resized that picture twice but its still massive, sorry.

About nail grinding, I learnt the hard way that you HAVE to keep longer hair away from the rotating part as I was trying to grind Pandas dew claw and OOPPS! ripped a section of hair off! I felt awful but for some reason Panda didnt even flinch.

Now he has fluffy feet I am extra careful to ensure I keep his hair pulled back when grinding.

·
Registered
781 Posts
LOVED these videos. you do make it seem so easy. you are so quick and so precise! thank you.

this weekend i groomed jessie for the first time using my new wahls bravura clipper. it has 5 adjustments for the blade height. i had a friend come over who use to be a groomer and she showed me what to do and i did it!! was relieved to see that once you get going, an instinct takes over that makes you aware how lightly or firmly to hold the clipper. we did her fft together, then on sunday i dremeled her nails and gave her a bath. i don't have a dryer yet, so i dried her with a regular hair dryer. to be honest, she doesn't look so bad - lol. i guess i will get better in time, i'm just so thrilled to have gotten started. if i could just keep her clean in-between full groomings, i would be thrilled. here's a pic of the finished product:

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
thank you but just want to clarify that i didn't scissor her. i just followed the lines that were created by her groomer. she will still go to him for her full grooming, just that now, in-between, i can keep her looking good, too!
She looks great to me, good for you!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts