Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it actually turned out ok! We went through a lot of treats and it took some time, but after I read that SpooSpirit and Jester's Mom did this in the CAR, :hail: wow! ... I thought I would give it a try!!
Rogan was a trooper! It's amazing how the more patient I was, the better he got!!
He looks SO different to me! I didn't think there was that much growth from his 6 week shave, but I guess there was!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am so impressed and inspired. Thanks for posting the pictures and letting us know how it turned out. I think I will be pretty nervous my first time. He looks so cute!!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
HEY.. :clap2: CONGRATS!! And you did a great job by the looks of it!

Yeah, well, my sister and I are a bit crazy, at least I think the people that saw us clipping her at the car must have thought so...LOL. Well, you know, you can't take a pretty little girl like that out on the beach without her hair done up nice? :) And we are the impatient type, we wanted to see her gorgeous face and knew that the breeder didn't clip the faces before she sold them so we brought our clippers with us just in case one came home with us...lol.

Rogan is looking so handsome and I am glad for you that you are learning to do it yourself. It makes it much easier to keep him nice and neat trimmed and not cost an arm and a leg! He is such a handsome boy, I can't wait to see him mature into a regal young man!

Oh, and, just in case you didn't realize it, don't forget to pull the hairs our of his ears when you groom. Leaving the hair in his ears will trap moisture and cause an ear infection. Not the most pleasant job for either the dog or the owner, but one of those "if you own a poodle it needs to be done" type of things. Actually, our older guys are used to it now and don't make any fuss at all about it. The two young girls are like "what in the *blank* are you doing to my ears????" The expressions on their faces when I pull the hair is like "what did I do bad to deserve this?" Oh, well. I always tell them when they don't care for some part of their grooming, "well, you were the one that was born a poodle, so you have to deal with poodle grooming!" :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
He looks FABULOUS! You did a great job! He has such wonderful expressions.

Yes, we are a little bit bold in our older age! :rofl: I have to say, though, that Chantel was very good about having it done to begin with. She hardly fought about the face. It was the feet that we had a bit of a discussion about. LOL I clipped the tops of the front feet so we could see how tight they were. They were gorgeous! Than we left her to have fun on the beach. When we got home, we bathed her, blew her dry, and finished her shaving. She is an amazing little girl. NO FEAR!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You did a great job on his face, I can't believe it was the first time you've ever shaved a face. What blade# did you use?

·
Registered
157 Posts
That was your first time?! You have the makings of a groomer I see! It looks great, really clean and well done. I love a nice shaved face.

Rogan is also looking very handsome. I'm positive he is going to grow up to be a very nice looking red spoo! His expressions are really breathtaking!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank-You!

You guys are great for a girls ego ya know!! :love:

Oh, and, just in case you didn't realize it, don't forget to pull the hairs our of his ears when you groom. Leaving the hair in his ears will trap moisture and cause an ear infection.
yes, I am aware of the ear hair plucking ... he does need a bit of attention in this area but I thought I would save that for today! lol He had endured enough for one day! My breeder sent me home with a bottle of ear cleaner (a home made solution that she gave me the recipe for) and after using it once his ears came out perfectly clean! But I know I still need to pluck those ear hairs! :faint2:

You did a great job on his face, I can't believe it was the first time you've ever shaved a face. What blade# did you use?
I have this little shaver that I used to use on my Yorkie, to clean up her face and bum, and trim the odd matt off her belly!! It's a cheap little Wahl that I got at Walmart and it takes one double A battery! I am amazed at how much I like that darn thing! It doesn't come with any attachments or anything, and I think it was like 11.99! It's great for little jobs and I love that it's so light! It got a touch warm to the touch but never hot... I would want to watch that though for long term use. I have yet to invest in a really good trimmer, but that will happen in the next month or so, otherwise, I'l be going through a lot of double A's! Lol

That was your first time?! You have the makings of a groomer I see! It looks great, really clean and well done. I love a nice shaved face.
like I said, I've done a little grooming with my Yorkie, but not much :) I'm always of the opionion, "whether you think you can, or think you can't YOU'RE RIGHT!" I'm stubborn that way!~ lol

I tried to attempt the feet but I didn't get very far... I need to see how someone else does it first to get an idea how it's done! He's going to the groomers on Sept 12 and she's totally cool with me staying the whole time and learning how to do it all myself, so I'm looking forward to that!

THANKS again for all the encouragement and kind words!! I love you guys! :love: (for the record, my hubby didn't even notice Rogan's face when he got home ... that's why I need you guys SO much!! moral support!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts