Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to hear some recommended shampoo brands for washing our little furbaby. We have a pin brush and have been giving him baths but a family friend said to wait and not use shampoo yet. He is going to be 3 months old next week

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp shampoo. You dilute it heavily with water before using so it lasts a long time. Order on Amazon. I have used it 26 yrs....my groomer uses it in her shop.

Go ahead and wash your baby with shampoo!

·
Registered
596 Posts
My breeder recommended Isle of Dogs - I use the #20 Royal Jelly Shampoo and the Evening Primrose Conditioner - both available on Amazon. Very happy with both.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
All right, I have tried all the fancy ones and my favorite is Nature's Miracle scent-free shampoo/conditioner in one. I get it on Amazon for about $5/bottle, which lasts only a few shampoos for the spoos.

It is also far and away the best shampoo I've used on my Maltese. Makes her vibrant white with a silk coat.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I love Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp shampoo. I dilute it 32 parts water to 1 part shampoo so that bottle will last a long time. I used to used Chris Christensen Day to Day Oatmeal Shampoo but I prefer Almond Crisp.

If your baby is dirty then there’s no problem shampooing. No matter what shampoo you use, rinse extremely well because shampoo left behind whether on a dog or our body it’s drying and can be an irritant.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I love Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp shampoo. I dilute it 32 parts water to 1 part shampoo so that bottle will last a long time. I used to used Chris Christensen Day to Day Oatmeal Shampoo but I prefer Almond Crisp.

If your baby is dirty then there’s no problem shampooing. No matter what shampoo you use, rinse extremely well because shampoo left behind whether on a dog or our body it’s drying and can be an irritant.
Almond Crisp....Same shampoo that we use! Poppy is a little piggy and gets LOTS of baths...as often as 3-4 a week at times. Even with that her skin and coat are great and a 32 oz bottle lasted us a year.

This morning Poppy was chasing squirrels in the rain and came in wet and smelling yummy from her shampoo...the rain "reactivated" the fragrance.

Glad to hear that you like it as well, Skylar!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

Almond Crisp....Same shampoo that we use! Poppy is a little piggy and gets LOTS of baths...as often as 3-4 a week at times. Even with that her skin and coat are great and a 32 oz bottle lasted us a year.

This morning Poppy was chasing squirrels in the rain and came in wet and smelling yummy from her shampoo...the rain "reactivated" the fragrance.

Glad to hear that you like it as well, Skylar!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Another vote for almond crisp, it has a slight scent but I don’t mind it. I also use the same conditioner. VQ, if a 32 oz bottle last you a year and poppy having baths 3-4 times a week, I think mine might last 3 years...lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
All these recs for Nature's Specialties! I'll have to give it a try when we run out of our current shampoo. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but quick question - is it safe to use with topical flea & tick preventatives? The Burt's Bees dog shampoo we're using now specifically says on the label that it won't remove flea & tick treatments, but I'm not really happy with the way it lathers and want to try something else. Of course I'm sure the reason it doesn't lather well is BECAUSE it doesn't remove the topicals, so maybe it's a catch 22 there.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Another Natures Specialties fan. Love the Almond Crisp, have been using it for years. Have occasionally used one of the medicated ones too. I don't use any creme rinse on the coat, my dogs are not matted when they are bathed. The harsher the coat is the better it is for scissoring and the Almond Crisp sets it up nice.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Just a note to add.....because you heavily dilute Nature's Specialties shampoos with water before using they do not lather up like human shampoos. They are made that way on purpose. They still clean really really well and are so much easier to rinse out as well. When you use it you use 1 oz of shampoo to 32 oz water. That's also why a bottle will last a very long time.

You could go to Nature's Specialties website and see if you could contact them regarding the topical flea products question. We don't have a flea issue where I live so I don't use those products.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just a note to add.....because you heavily dilute Nature's Specialties shampoos with water before using they do not lather up like human shampoos. They are made that way on purpose. They still clean really really well and are so much easier to rinse out as well. When you use it you use 1 oz of shampoo to 32 oz water. That's also why a bottle will last a very long time.

You could go to Nature's Specialties website and see if you could contact them regarding the topical flea products question. We don't have a flea issue where I live so I don't use those products.
Thanks, I sent an email and will let you know what I hear back.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
topical flea treatments...If you worry about the removal you could always use something like NexGard. Its a monthly pill just like the heart worm prevention Heartgard. That is what I use for all my dogs .

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently started using Earthbath brand and I really like it so far. My 7 m/o puppy sometimes nibbles on his paws and they are a little pink/sometimes have sore areas on them. He also had mildly dry skin. I used the Earth Bath Hot Spot Relief shampoo and he seemed overall less itchy after using it and his paws appeared less pink colored. The shampoo has tea tree oil, aloe vera, and no added fragrance or other chemicals that are commonly in pet shampoos. I plan on using it as a weekly shampoo. I also use Earthbath Oatmeal and Aloe fragrance free conditioner and like that too.
https://earthbath.com/product/hot-spot-relief-shampoo/
https://earthbath.com/product/oatmeal-aloe-conditioner-fragrance-free/

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Another Earthbath fan here. (But not ones with tea tree, just super mild simple products).Unfortunately they quit making my favorite. But I managed to buy a gallon of the concentrated before it disappeared from the market :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts