Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home shower routine needs to level up. Basil kicked over the diluted shampoo in the middle of getting soaked, so I just did conditioner this week.

My shower shampoo diluting containers got us through puppy hood (see below). We're taking a budget DIY approach.

I was thinking of using some old water bottles with a closed lid and squeeze nosle.. like the green/orange iconic gatorade bottles you see football players drink from.

Basil's my first dog, so we're learning together -- and in collaboration with the PF community. It takes a village to raise a poodle.

When you give your furbaby a bath a home, what kind of container do you prefer to use to hold the diluted soap & conditioner?

Furbaby in question--
"Just woke up and rolled out of bed"

We use nature specialities plum silk & almond crisp and follow their dilution recommendations. Basil's 7mo old & 38#s.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
There are inexpensive plastic squeeze bottles -- think restaurant condiment containers -- available at Walmart. This is what I use when diluting shampoo. The versions sold by grooming suppliers are more expensive and come with markings that show the correct dilution ratio. I eye-ball the 1:8 ratio.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I got a pump top for my enormous bottle of Wahl shampoo (stole from another bottle). I don't strictly dilute it, just get the dog VERY WET, put a small amount in my hands (1-3 pumps) then run it through her coat, adding more water if needed to get the soap to spread farther. I go through about 5 small handfuls for her whole coat. One hand full for her back, one smaller one for her head and face, one for her belly and backside, and one for her feet/legs.

I have also been known to use an old dishsoap bottle for applying/diluting soap.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are inexpensive plastic squeeze bottles -- think restaurant condiment containers -- available at Walmart. This is what I use when diluting shampoo. The versions sold by grooming suppliers are more expensive and come with markings that show the correct dilution ratio. I eye-ball the 1:8 ratio.
I'm considering a trip to good-will soon. I have a feeling they might havesome. Good to know

I got a pump top for my enormous bottle of Wahl shampoo (stole from another bottle). I don't strictly dilute it, just get the dog VERY WET, put a small amount in my hands (1-3 pumps) then run it through her coat, adding more water if needed to get the soap to spread farther. I go through about 5 small handfuls for her whole coat. One hand full for her back, one smaller one for her head and face, one for her belly and backside, and one for her feet/legs.

I have also been known to use an old dishsoap bottle for applying/diluting soap.
@For Want of Poodle I'm 100% open to trying and adopting other techniques in the search to make this processes as easy and effective as possible. Do you use conditioner?

I feel I have to use my 16oz bottle of Plum Silk condition since I bought it just to try it. I did just try shampoo and no conditioner once; It was good enough.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I use my own organic scent free conditioner, as I havent found a dog one I can stand the smell of, but just on Annie's topknot, ears, and tail (the long parts). I do sometimes dilute that, or at least rub it in my hands with a bunch of water before applying.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have tried using diluted shampoo like all the experts insist on. But I really just prefer to hand apply undiluted shampoo to the body. I seem to get better coverage that way. I use almond crisp on grooming days, but I prefer a 2in1 conditioning shampoo for in between baths. I have used Minksheen for a while but recently am trying out ProLine's Fair Advantage. So far I really love it. Didn't even need a detangler.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I mix shampoo and water in a bucket and use a sponge to apply it to my dog. Then I rinse and shampoo a second time. My own hair I only shampoo once, but with my dog it really does make a difference to shampoo twice, I can still see dirt rinsing off after the second shampoo. This is a tip I got from a professional groomer a long time ago. I usually bathe him every 2 to 2.5 weeks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use inexpensive dilution bottles. You can buy them from many grooming supply sites. Love Groomers sells them for $2.49, and Groomers Choice has them for $2.89.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Basil kicked over the diluted shampoo in the middle of getting soaked, so I just did conditioner this week.
I have had that happen with Evie more than a few times, that is when I switched to using an old Dawn Dishsoap Bottle, the squeeze ones. They work pretty well although I will say that if you put it upside down it will just pour because of how thin it is. I am going to agree with @Raindrops that using a highly diluted shampoo is not always better, that is actually why I no longer use the Natures Specialties Shampoo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My home shower routine needs to level up. Basil kicked over the diluted shampoo in the middle of getting soaked, so I just did conditioner this week.

My shower shampoo diluting containers got us through puppy hood (see below). We're taking a budget DIY approach.

View attachment 471106

I was thinking of using some old water bottles with a closed lid and squeeze nosle.. like the green/orange iconic gatorade bottles you see football players drink from.

Basil's my first dog, so we're learning together -- and in collaboration with the PF community. It takes a village to raise a poodle.

When you give your furbaby a bath a home, what kind of container do you prefer to use to hold the diluted soap & conditioner?

Furbaby in question--
"Just woke up and rolled out of bed"
View attachment 471107

We use nature specialities plum silk & almond crisp and follow their dilution recommendations. Basil's 7mo old & 38#s.
A groomer on you tube suggested net scrubbies (2 bucks on Amazon) for washing dogs. I couldn't believe how much better and faster it was for applying shampoo. I just thought the other day, why haven't I been using it for conditioner. Duh, not as smart as my poodle.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I also use an old Dawn dish soap bottle for giving a bath....one for shampoo and another for the conditioner. The diluted shampoo or conditioner can be squirted right where you need it on the dog. The bottle fits my hand just perfectly and flexes just right when using it to apply product.

Shortly before the bath I put the bottles of product into a plastic bowl filled with hot water....this warms up the shampoo and conditioner before the bath so I am not squirting cold stuff on my sweet girl during her bath.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been adopting a little bit of everyones ideas since then so far.

Dilution Concentration:
Instead of the recommended dilution directrions, I just do ~8 oz of water which is about 1 cup with 1 oz of conditioner or shampoo. I weigh it out on an electronic scale. It's not too diluted but it's not too concentrated. Sometimes they get kinda wiggly and you miss lol.

Container:
I've been using shaker bottles because the mouth is smaller and they're easier to handle. I'm still considering a squeezy bottle as an option because Basil can jerk around when I'm trying to wash the top of her head. The thought of soap in her eyes makes me nervous. I'll have to keep my eyes out for squeeze bottles....

The scrub down:
Getting her soaked then turning off the shower and applying the soap of conditoner is way more effective. Thank you for the suggestion @For Want of Poodle . I would apply the soap to her back and assume the drip down method worked, but I found your cupping method to be WAY more effective to get her sudsed up.

We might try shampooing twice to be extra clean when Basil gets older. Maybe there's someone like me who might find this helpful too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts