Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or just pretend that They're Not Coming?

For those of us in the eastern USA, billions of the 17-year Brood X cicadas will be hatching out this spring. Our local eastern Tennessee invasion is expected around Mother's Day. (gee, thanks)

First-time dog owners be warned: many dogs will eat a few. They're not poisonous, but they can cause stomach upsets.

What's your experience?

Mine is that dog eats one or two, throws up, then occasionally chases them for sport. At least it may give the robins a rest. Though the birds will be busy feasting too.

Please refrain from posting your favorite cicada recipe.

·
Super Moderator
2,594 Posts
One of my friends traveled to Texas during a cicada brood year and was totally freaked out. I grew up listening to cicadas on warm summer days. They were just part of the normal ambient sound where I lived, much as traffic noise is part of the ambient sound where I live now. Some summers were noisier than others, depending on which broods were emerging. I have a pair of jade cicadas my father brought back from a trip to China when I was a teenager. The one with a thread has traveled with me my entire adult life. I found the other one with my mother's jewelry after she passed away.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Thanks for the information.

There have been several of these types of insect invasion warnings here the last few summers. Where I live I didn't see an overwhelming number of insects.

Reactions: Dianaleez

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
Different brood in Northern Illinois, but we had a trillion of them emerge in 2007 across the top of our state. So many cicadas will create the most unusual echo. It's almost haunting. If you've never been through an emergence it's equal parts amazing and overwhelming. I think the sound was the worst part of it for me. But, it doesn't last long. Thank goodness. Hang in there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I love the sound of cicadas in the summer. Some summers it is quite loud. We had a lot last year. They usually emerge later in the summer for us. I find insects quite fascinating. However there is one that I absolutely can’t stand...the Japanese beetle. They are so nasty and do so much damage. I will take cicadas any day!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Maybe you’ll post a short video of Normie and the Circadas when the time comes? I’d love to hear/see it.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
No idea what type hatched here the boys first summer in 2017 but we were littered and they were loud! Neo and Remo tried to help by eating as many of the dang things as they could, every chance they could.

Amazingly, no one tossed their cicadas :)

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
This is the sound of a trillion cicadas all at once. Imagine this sound not for a few seconds, but for days almost non-stop. For me, that was the hardest thing to cope with. Given that Noelle is terrified of fireflies, I’ll probably rent an RV in 2024 and leave Illinois next time it’s our turn. Hope your poodles are braver than Noelle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts