Poodle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my motorbike (s).
My other half loves her's.
Motorbikes have been part of our lives for ever.
30 years ago we had a dog, and to keep our biker lifestyle going we had a sidecar for him to travel in when we were off for a meet or a longer day out.
He loved it.

When we decided to get Poppy we thought we will get her out on the bike, in a rucksac or my preference in / on a tank bag.
Poppy is a year old now, and suddenly she looks bigger than I imagined, though still small for a mini Poo I believe.

So should I go for it ?
1. Motorbikes are inherently dangerous.
2. Is it really fair on Poppy ?
3. How to go about it ?

Has anyone here done the same ?
Any advice?

And to be honest, should we do it ?
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Jeans Fuel tank

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
3,858 Posts
Use of my bikes has plummeted since I got Elroy. Elroy is a SPOO, so for me, it would have to be a sidecar. My riding style (doesn't lend itself to a sidecar (sportbike, sport cruiser). A sidecar would take away from the nimbleness, "flickability" of the bikes. I think next season I'll be back to riding closer to the amount I was before I got Elroy. I need to know I can leave him alone for longer periods of time than I'm doing now (he has to grow up more). So for me, the choice is "No".
Your decision will have to be made based upon your, and Poppy's, personal preferences. Anyone you know have a sidecar so you can see how Poppy likes it?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use of my bikes has plummeted since I got Elroy. Elroy is a SPOO, so for me, it would have to be a sidecar. My riding style (doesn't lend itself to a sidecar (sportbike, sport cruiser). A sidecar would take away from the nimbleness, "flickability" of the bikes. I think next season I'll be back to riding closer to the amount I was before I got Elroy. I need to know I can leave him alone for longer periods of time than I'm doing now (he has to grow up more). So for me, the choice is "No".
Your decision will have to be made based upon your, and Poppy's, personal preferences. Anyone you know have a sidecar so you can see how Poppy likes it?
No sadly sidecars are a rarity now, thought about it, but traffic levels and speed humps everywhere in town would make it a real pain.
Trike could be an option mind...
No, ultimately it has to be solo, probably a tank bag rather than rucksac.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Our mini mix (20 lbs) used to LOVE being in her basket on the back of my bicycle. Not a motorbike, but...

Annie is a speed demon - she loves riding in a motorboat, breeze in her face, water spraying on her. She prefers the rattly, vibrating, loud, bouncing motorboat to a sedate canoe ride. Too bad, dog, because I'm a canoeist, not a motorboat person. My best friend takes her dog in big water in a small fast boat (Georgian Bay and Lake Ontario). He loves it too, even when the boat is slamming through waves that have me clutching the seat.

If I had a small dog and a motorbike, and could figure out a safe way to take the dog, I would be definitely tempted.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our mini mix (20 lbs) used to LOVE being in her basket on the back of my bicycle. Not a motorbike, but...

Annie is a speed demon - she loves riding in a motorboat, breeze in her face, water spraying on her. She prefers the rattly, vibrating, loud, bouncing motorboat to a sedate canoe ride. Too bad, dog, because I'm a canoeist, not a motorboat person. My best friend takes her dog in big water in a small fast boat (Georgian Bay and Lake Ontario). He loves it too, even when the boat is slamming through waves that have me clutching the seat.

If I had a small dog and a motorbike, and could figure out a safe way to take the dog, I would be definitely tempted.
I can picture it:)👌

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
If you do try it, I would suspect the most important factor for comfort (other than starting slowish) would be good traction and a bit of padding on the base of the carrier. Annie is way more relaxed in a canoe or motorboat if she isn't worried about slipping around - a foam camping mat works well. My friends boat also has some padding for the dog for the same reason.

I wonder if you could rig something up inside a hard carrier with a harness so that if you stop abruptly, the dog doesn't hit the front?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's my set up for my late JRT Ginger. She was around 18 pounds and fit comfortably in this milk crate. I rigged a harness that let her move around but kept her from leaping out. She loved life and adventure. She loved being on, and in, the water too.

View attachment 481447 View attachment 481448
VG ! VG !
She certainly looks happy enough.
Well done you, bet that turned a few heads!
I must admit though I'm not so confident about having Poppy riding 'pillion', but then again it might be most comfortable for her.
I don't want the rucsack, so that leaves having some kind of tank bag.
But then I think about her taking the full wind blast.... hmmmm.
Yeah, think I might follow suit and see about some kind of 'container' on pillion.
( Might have to change my exhaust - straight through Vance and Hines are LOUD ) !:unsure:
Hey thanks for input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.