Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zoe is 9 months old and barreling into coat change and I was thinking about trimming her legs very short all around, but I'm tempted to do a Miami instead. I could always shave off the bracelets and do the short legs all over after that. I'd keep her topknot and ears long--I've been growing it out and have been doing small bands in the front and will continue banding as it grows, assuming I can keep up with it through coat change.

What do you think?! Miami or just cut the legs short all over?

Here she is now. As you can see her body is already very short. I live in CA so it won't get super cold over the winter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did the Miami while Bella was going through coat change and she hated having her bracelets brushed out, especially when they got matted (which was as soon as I finished combing them)
I loved how she looked with it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Zoe is a beautiful poodle. I’m fond of the Miami, it’s what my dog is sporting these days. I get a lot of compliments on this style. It’s an iconic poodle look that would be perfect on Zoe. If the pompoms do get too matted you can shave them off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is what I was thinking for leg length if no Miami:

This is actually about what Bella looks like now as we’re working on growing her coat back out. I felt so bad because I knew how much it bothered her and it wasn’t her being stubborn, it made her uncomfortable. I ended up shaving her down completely to make it easier on both of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
592 Posts
I like the Miami a lot, but when it comes to coat change, I think going short short everywhere is a good idea. It's not forever. You'll have many years to Miami your dog's adult coat.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The worst knots for my spoo during coat change were behind his (very long) ears and behind and between his front legs. My dog was in a puppy clip for a year and then the HCC while showing. I babied his coat more than you may, given the beautiful wilderness background of your photos!

BTW, I shaved him down about 15 months ago, kept his ears shaved for a while. Now they have grown out almost as long as they were during show days. As they say, hair grows back!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The worst knots for my spoo during coat change were behind his (very long) ears and behind and between his front legs. My dog was in a puppy clip for a year and then the HCC while showing. I babied his coat more than you may, given the beautiful wilderness background of your photos!

BTW, I shaved him down about 15 months ago, kept his ears shaved for a while. Now they have grown out almost as long as they were during show days. As they say, hair grows back!
Yeah the back part of the ears has been the worst so far but after some trial and error with products we've been good for a while. We'll see how long it lasts, haha. I know it's still very early.

In terms of the wilderness, we've started doing short hikes a few times a month and one of the spots we have visited recently is a forest, so that's what's going on there. M-F she's a city girl, haha. Shaving her legs down completely would definitely make clean up easier when we go to the foresty areas instead of the usual dusty areas.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I just clipped off Dewey's bracelets after two years of having them. It just got to be so much trouble since he is a country guy and constantly in the mud and burrs. I bought all kinds of covers and tried to put them on but it was difficult. You may find the covers easy if you are only hiking every week though. I think you should at least try it and see how Zoe looks! This is my favorite poodle cut and no one ever thinks my guy is anything but full poodle. I will most likely grow them out again for the spring and I like the short body.

reraven, Your guy looks great in his Miami! He is so handsome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts