Poodle Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
Fortunately she doesn't work with students. She works with staff. I believe the principal is about to "invite" her to leave the dog at home. I'm just a bit concerned that it may turn into a blanket policy banning all dogs. Tori is a dream and the kids love her so I hope we don't get caught in the fallout.
you may want to point out to your principal that federal law recognizes poor behavior as a valid reason for barring even a "real" certified service animal. (see the link to the ada guidelines above.) even comfort animals can be removed from public housing over that issue per the fair housing act, which is much more liberal than the ada. any dog that snaps at people does not belong in public - and especially not with kids. wow, your fellow teacher has amazingly poor judgment. if her dog bites someone, no certification is going to protect her from a law suit.

best of luck.

Reactions: TammyQ

·
Registered
100 Posts
Many thanks. I will print the guidelines and show them to the principal. I do feel sorry for the other lady (because she is a bit disturbed herself and I know she takes comfort from her dog) but it really is crazy to have it around others.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ya... I think that would be a given. A legitimate diagnosis would be OK by me.

But I think what they're talking abt here is people faking their pets into places by claiming service dog status. The anecdote abt the dog messing 'several expensive Indian carpets' was probably not down to a poorly trained service dog. So maybe a pet??? :confused3:
According to the ADA, emotional support animals do not have (legal) public access, no matter what. Only service dogs have public access.

·
Super Moderator
11,172 Posts
According to the ADA, emotional support animals do not have (legal) public access, no matter what. Only service dogs have public access.
Welcome, @service dog vera! These are some super old threads. I’d suggest starting your own if you’d like to get a new discussion going. :) Sounds like you’ve got a lot of helpful knowledge to share.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts